streets on terrain

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
b3n
Kobold

streets on terrain

Post by b3n »

Hi out there!

First of all: thanx to the ogre-team for building the hole thing, GOOD WORK!

Im currently working on a RTS/RPG-style game with large terrains. I'm wondering how you can best implement different kind of streets running across the terrain. Streets with more than just a bit dark, coming from the detailtexture of the terrain. I want to texture the streets in a "high" quality.

Have someone of you ever done this in combination with ogre? Any ideas how to implement such a thing EFFICIENTLY? It would be nice if there is an aproach, where you dont have to build a mesh manually (in a 3D-app.)of all the streets running across the terrain.
I'm thinking of an algorithm, which builds up the streets automaticly from an image on which all pixel are marked, where the streets have to go through.

greets, b3n :wink:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

There was some discussion on this a while ago - search for terrain, roads, ...

When you write 'streets', are you thinking of 'roads' (Like country roads)?
(Streets are a collection of city roads)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: streets on terrain

Post by DWORD »

b3n wrote:Have someone of you ever done this in combination with ogre? Any ideas how to implement such a thing EFFICIENTLY? It would be nice if there is an aproach, where you dont have to build a mesh manually (in a 3D-app.)of all the streets running across the terrain.
I'm thinking of an algorithm, which builds up the streets automaticly from an image on which all pixel are marked, where the streets have to go through.
If you want more than just another texture where the roads are, you'll probably have to generate some geometry for it yourself. But this should also be doable. For efficiency you should probably build the road geometry in small chunks fitting to the size of an octree node. I.e. split the roads into square regions, and create geometry for all roads in each square. There are some pitfalls, though. E.g. terrain LOD will probably influence the roads (because terrain vertices being removed), so you'll probably need to reduce them to a simple texture in the distance or something like that.