XML > .scene converter?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

XML > .scene converter?

Post by Mr.Bloodworth » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Is there one currently available?
0 x

haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:45 pm

Not too talkative, are we? ;)
What exactly are you talking about?
0 x
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht

psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:56 pm

.scene is a XML based format...

-psy
0 x

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 pm

You get a .scene file when you export from max, using the octopus exporter. You also get some .mesh files.
A scene file is an xml-file which describes what these mesh files are, and their position, lights, etc.
It is a scene description file.
You can also write a scene file by hand. :wink:
0 x
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:22 pm

I'm talking about something that takes the XML file and turns it into a .scene file.

Is there one available?

But I was wondering if there was a tool to convert it. I'm not a coder, I have no intentions of making one (like it would work anyway being made in Photoshop lol). And it may very well be XML..

Unless your saying that I just rename it ( I don't think you are).

I'm just doing some advanced scouting for some tools for me to use and pass to my friend that is/will be coding the whole thing. But I don't wish to have him reinvent the wheel.

Currently im using Freeworld3d as a sort of composer. Getting the height map and the color map ( I think you guys like to call that the Detail map for some reason) out of it. But its my understanding that the XML file it spits out holds all the info on the static models I place about the editor.

I'm assuming that the intention is to use some converter that takes XML and turns it into a .scene file.

=> On a side note, allot of your conventions in the wiki and what not are of really no use to those that are the content creators. I know allot of it is very "user" specific and may not be something that a project uses, but I would like to lend a hand at adding to the wiki in a more content creator format. Most likely threw add-ons and appending to whets already there.

Using programmer lingo to explain programmer lingo doesn't work..lol.
0 x

Mr.Bloodworth
Halfling

Post by Mr.Bloodworth » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 pm

jacmoe wrote:You get a .scene file when you export from max, using the octopus exporter. You also get some .mesh files.
A scene file is an xml-file which describes what these mesh files are, and their position, lights, etc.
It is a scene description file.
You can also write a scene file by hand. :wink:
1) i dont use max, i use lightwave.

2) i do not do XML nor .scene

3) Thats a better discription of what is in the .scene file than is curently on the wiki.

Thanks =)

Im just an artiest looking for tools. (that i dont have to compile ETC...)
0 x

dennis
Gremlin

Post by dennis » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:24 am

I'm currently updating the Lightwave converter. This only converts meshes. http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... &start=100
0 x

Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:01 am

You needed to clarify what you were talking about Mr. Bloodworth. What you really wanted to know is if there are any tools that convert .xml files exported from Freeworld3D into the .scene format.

It's just a lack of understanding what an .xml file is. A .xml file is like a .txt file that can contain anything. Freeworld exports xml, but so does Microsoft Word, and so does Outlook Express. In Outlook Express's case, it exports addresses and emails. In Freeworlds case, it contains information about the 3d scene. An .xml file has nothing specific to do with 3d games.

And like people said, a .scene file is also an xml file, but with a different file extension. It's what is inside the XML that counts.

As an artist looking for tools, you won't find exactly what you need here. You'll find tools for exporting meshes from existing 3d applications, so you can have a mesh, but a mesh is certainly not enough to create a game. It's enough to create a rock, and texture it.

If you want create a game, you'll need to create tools too, that's just the way it is. Many people here are working on tools, and some might be useful to you, but they might be using those tools for a strategy game, or racing game, or rpg, or flight sim, or whatever and that may not be exactly what you need for YOUR game.

So, what you need is to find a programmer that is willing to write tools, or work and modify existing tools.

Clay
0 x