Making a game engine

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Arijit 26
Kobold

Making a game engine

Post by Arijit 26 »

Ogre Version: :?: 1.09
Operating System: :?: windows
Render System: :?: direct 3d
Hello ,
I want to build a game engine out of ogre 3d. Now making a project in ogre is complicated and I want to simplify that. Ia there any way I could make a good editor over ogre or make the project creation process very easy. I mean like drag and drop objects into the scene and then write code.
If the process is reduced to 1 or 2 commands then also its good. Or coukd i make a GUI for that?

Code: Select all

Ogre.log (optional)
Arijit 26
Kobold

Making a game engine

Post by Arijit 26 »

Is it possible to make a good game engine with ogre. I just want to build a good editor. Or maybe could I just make the project building process easier. Or maybe make a gui for that? Is it really possible?
Or any other way to make things easier and more responsive
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Making a game engine

Post by sercero »

You might want to take a look at Ogitor:
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogitor
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Welcome!
Ogre is a rendering engine so its definitely possible, in fact its meant to be used to make an engine, you'll need to bring the rest of the components you'll need, sound, physics, gui, etc.
For example my engine loads everything from blender files so I use blender as my scene/models/materials/physics editor and I use OpenAL, Qt, Bullet, MyGui, etc etc

Be aware that its a lot of work
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

No I understand that what is ogre or what is ogitor. But what i want is that I want to reduce the anount of code that should be written or the librarues that need to be imlorted while making a project.
Example: a person clicks new project and clicks on the libraries he wants to add and then the project opens up and he can start doing the project.

But could you explain that what all can Ogitor do
Thanks in advance!!
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Moreover if you understand what I say. It takes a lot of understanding of code blocks and stuff to install a project or simply to say to setup a project. You need to do a lot. But what I ask is that can I bring this down to few clicks?
Like someone clicks make project then it creates and sets up the project with mingw or something like that.
I just want the process to be smoother and easier and not like copying the tutorial framework and stuff
Thanks in advance
Lax
Hobgoblin

Post by Lax »

Hi,

building an own game engine is a looong process.

I'm creating an own GameEngine now for 12 years in my spare time.
Its essential to have a good concept, read a lot of books and try out a lot of things.

I can recommend a really good book for you, which can help:

https://www.mcshaffry.com/GameCode/

The keyword is Entity-Component system.

Ogre is a render engine, you also need other libraries like physics, navigation mesh, 3D sound etc.
There are some custom written libraries, if you examine the forum, which to work well with ogre.

Best Regards
Lax

http://www.lukas-kalinowski.com/Homepage/?page_id=1631
Please support Second Earth Technic Base built of Lego bricks for Lego ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/81b9bd1 ... b97b79be62

sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

Perhaps you should look into compiling your project with CMake:
https://ogrecave.github.io/ogre/api/latest/setup.html
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Hey grt thanks for it. So if I create a GUI for this I mean that it inits the program and then uses the cmake to compile it then would it work?
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Moreover could I use this method to add libraries to it right. To make it easier.
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

What I have encountered is that building ogre is a difficult task. Specially making a project in it.
What I want is that can I bring that process down to like Unity 3d for my users. Where you click new project and then create one and open it.
Moreover like it is in Neoaxis.
I want to know how to do that.
And I tried the ogitor and my cmake is saying that ogitor files are invalid.
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

I came up with an idea (sorry if I am flooding the forum)
If i make a gui that basically makes a main.cpp file for you. And when you say that you need to add libraries to it. It just adds those specific libraries in it.
Moreover I was thinkibg that it could add a lot of other thibgs to the programs and then save that main.cpp file and the compile it with a compiler.
Will it work?
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Hey thanks,
What I was actually thinking is not make my own libraries infact intergrate bullet physics and open ai thats it. I know if I build my own then it will take a lot of time.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

You will have to take it slow.

Lax engine took him 12 years to develop.

I am developing one of my own (as a hobby) and its been 5 years and counting.

Read the wiki, and use the forum to research specific topics.

I'm sorry but it does not seem that you will be able to accomplish this so easy and fast.

Perhaps, take a look at this engine (I was able to compile it with MinGW and CMake with no issues whatsoever):
https://urho3d.github.io/

It already has a GUI built-in if I am not mistaken.
And it also has physics and audio ready to go.

Also, take a look at this site:
https://www.gamefromscratch.com/

And check all the libraries and game engines available, perhaps you will find something more suitable.

If you want to stick to OGRE3D, all the power to you. I'm just trying to help.
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

So my idea won't work I mean of making the .cpp
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

Arijit 26 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 am So my idea won't work I mean of making the .cpp
no.

Your general idea is on the way though. I am in the process of consolidating the various addons in the main repository, so you will be able to choose at cmake time which additional features (physics, audio etc.) you want ogre to have.

However, this will just add some more building blocks for whatever you want to do with Ogre. It will not magically make it a drag and drop game framework like Unity. If you want that, take a look at Godot.
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Hey I know about godot actually I said it wrong that I want it like unity. I just want it simple.
What I actually mean:
As you can see to use ogre 3d you need a .cpp file. You have to compile that file.
What I want to do is make a method to generate that file and then give the user the freedom to edit it without any interferences. Moreover after that I may do tge Cmake thing but this is what I meant. :)
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

I won't use ogre 3d for this and will create a seperate application
This will just add the very very basic code like the tutorial application.cpp does
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Moreover i know it wont become a drag and drop framework. But I just want to make the process easier and not drag and drop. :)
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

Arijit 26 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:20 pm As you can see to use ogre 3d you need a .cpp file. You have to compile that file.
you can also use ogre from python...
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/blob/v ... _sample.py
Arijit 26
Kobold

Post by Arijit 26 »

Grt thanks so if I use this method of making a file and theb asking the users to compile it then it should work right :)