distributing an Ogre app in a container?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
nqdev
Gnoblar

distributing an Ogre app in a container?

Post by nqdev »

I have an Ogre app based on Linux and need to port it to a Mac. I was curious to know if anyone has had any experience running an Ogre app in a Docker container (based on a Linux flavor) and hosted on a Mac. Having it prepackaged sure would make it easy for users. The confusion is with which set of drivers from which OS is being used. E.g., it currently runs OpenGL. Can OpenGL access the GPU in a container if the OS is using Metal? Of course, I'm also interested in performance.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: distributing an Ogre app in a container?

Post by EricB »

I think porting to OSX would be easier than trying to make a 3D accelerated graphical Linux bin work in an OSX dock... End users will probably like a native port much better as well.

Other than the initial windowing code, input systems, and wrapping your head around the app folder scheme, moving from OpenGL Linux to OpenGL OSX porting wise is pretty easy. First two issues are even easier if you're using something like SDL or glfw instead of the old native windowing systems and OIS...