kjAPI

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
jmonw
Goblin

kjAPI

Post by jmonw »

Came across this today...

The kjAPI engine. Looks nice. I wonder why I've never heard of it...

Anyone know about it?

Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

No, didnt know about them until now. Seems to be a solid product but unfortunately not open source it seems :cry:
Those screenshots were really good...
Image : Image

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Nothing not seen before, to be honest. And in the graphics aspect, OGRE is better in my opinion, with a better design and more flexibility.

The screenshots are nice, but it's just matter of time (or people) that someone prepares impressive art for the OGRE demos, and show things visually impressive, and not just technically impressive ;) (that doesn't mean OGRE doesn't have really cool and impressive demos!)

Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

Kencho, you remind me of Jack (Edward Norton) from Fight Club. I love that movie. =)

Their trees and grass are the only thing actually impressive. The bump mapping looks overdone (though their offset bump mapping looks better), and the particles just look generic.

I think the really big thing to look at is the Editors. We need something like these in ogre:
http://www.kjapi.com/images/screenshots ... Editor.jpg

Despite several projects working on these things, we lack a cohesive world/landscape, and cross platform material/mesh viewer/editor.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

@clay: My thoughts exactly. I actually made a mental note about the editors. The tools would be nice to have with Ogre. :)
((After the 1.0 release things' really happening here! So I think we'll have them, much more sooner than later!))
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

jmonw
Goblin

Post by jmonw »

@ Clay:
I heartily agree.

I also agree that OGRE is probably better graphically. I just posted it because it looks pretty solid, but I've never heard of it. Not being open-source is a minus, too.

Call to toolmakers:
MAKE US SOME TOOLS!!!

Wooden
Halfling

Post by Wooden »

Yes i definitely, i agree good editing tools are something that ogre needs!
btw, there's some editors on the way, like the usefull particle editor or the plsm map editor

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Anyways, not all the engines have official XSI support ;) Why do you need an editor when you have a real-pro modelling tool and an official exporter? ;)

In any case, lots of tools is always good ;) Better having them but not using them, that needing them and not having them.

PS: Haven't seen Fight Club, but I have an evil-ish face in that photo. Thanks for the compliments! hahahaha!! 8):twisted:

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

@wooden: Or the upcoming material editor! :wink:

@kencho: Definately not a modeling tool - a scene assembly station. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

jmonw
Goblin

Post by jmonw »

@kencho: Definately not a modeling tool - a scene assembly station. :)
Right. :wink:

@Kencho: ...or perhaps I don't have the real pro modeling tool... :cry:
Thinking of getting Blender. Is it good? Truly? The GUI kind of sucks (until you get used to it, I guess)

walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

Blender is a fantastic program. I learned it and the used it for all the models in my Stunt Playground game... in the process i've become very efficient modelling with it. just read one of the many tutorials on the interface, and you'll be set to go.. the interface has just become a mental block for a lot of people, it's not any more complicated than any other high-level 3D program.
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!

Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

looks like a nice engine. I'm not sure how Ogre's gfx are better, looks like a similar feature set in the technical department (not just how cool the demos are ;) ).
I think the key for a good engine is workflow which Ogre is getting better at but of course could be better. When some tools come out it'll be interesting to see how things turn out with workflow. Of course it's a bit harder to get a full tool set (like Unreal) when it's primarily a gfx lib.
I kind of wish Yake was officially supported as the 'combine lots of nice libraries' library :) So people could make some more tools and examples for it. It must be loads of work for mainly just 2 dudes (plus I could use some Clay style tutes for it ;) ). I swear if one more person makes a physics wrapper... help your fellow man! :twisted:

monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

I swear if one more person makes a physics wrapper... help your fellow man!
That's the problem when people are doing it for free, they create what they want to create. I swear, if one more person makes a graphics engine... :twisted:

Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

@jmonw: I'm with Walaber. I tried Softimage|XSI 3.5, but now I can't use 4.2 because of my gfx card. That made me think of the free modelling tool by excellence: Blender (Milkshape is too limited, and also not-free!). Certainly, I've taken a look to some blender tutorials, and I'm getting used to it quickly. And it's even small!! Give Belnder a try, it's site is plenty of tutorials that help you learn to use it, and you can do great things with it. And, at least, everything Ogre needs can be done, which is the most important for me ;)

jmonw
Goblin

Post by jmonw »

I'll take a look tonight. Thanks everyone!