Linux Debug vs Release not much difference...

Get answers to all your basic programming questions. No Ogre questions, please!
toglia
Gnome

Linux Debug vs Release not much difference...

Post by toglia »

I know in windows (visual studio actually) there's a HUGE difference when building the apps with "debug" or "release" configurations, but lately that I have started to work in Linux I haven't seen that. I know visual studio embeds a lot of information to the debug build to make those extensive debug features possible but is this still a windows thing?

I didn't even see OgreMain_d.so when building ogre...

Please excuse my ignorance... :P

CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Linux Debug vs Release not much difference...

Post by CABAListic »

If you want a debug version of Ogre, you need to set CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to Debug in CMake. Otherwise, you'll get a release build with debug symbols. Generally, GCC has a lot less trouble linking debug applications to release libraries, so you can link your debug applications to a release Ogre which will result in relatively fast rendering.

milliams
Gremlin

Post by milliams »

Here's what I posted on another forum when talking about a similar topic. Maybe it is of some help here:

In Linux we don't tend to bother with 'debug' libraries. Any library we get from our distro will have been build with the RelWithDebInfo CMake build type which sets -O2 -g. This means that it's optimised but not to the point of mangling line numbers and symbols and the -g means that debug symbols are included. Then, before it's all put into an RPM, the debug symbols are stripped out and put into a separate package. This way we can run with almost fully optimised libraries but can get the debuginfo if we really need it.

The Debug build type will just set -g so there is 'no' optimisation in order to get most accurate symbol locations. This isn't used much since RelWithDebInfo is usually fine.

Finally, Release sets the flags -O3 -DNDEBUG which obviously optimises more but also sets -DNDEBUG which turns off asserts etc.

So really the only difference between release and debug (RelWithDebInfo) builds is a little bit of optimisation, inclusion of debug symbols and the lack of asserts. Because of this I think that most people developing against a copy of the library they built themselves would build the library with RelWithDebInfo and then only switch to a release build if they were then going to include the library (static or shared) along with their project.

toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

Hey thanks!

I'm getting a little bit more comfortable with linux now. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it seems much simpler that windows itself! :P