Where Am I?

Get answers to all your basic programming questions. No Ogre questions, please!
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Where Am I?

Post by temas »

This is the new home for all the beginner programming questions. This will be a largely community driven part of the forum, meaning you should not expect any of the core team to constantly reply to questions in here, of course, they still might.

C++, design, uml, and general OOP are the preferred topics, but anything is welcome. Questions need not be OGRE specific, and have a good chance of being moved if they are. Although, feel free to use OGRE in examples or questions.

We will currently only have one primary moderator from the community, but later I may add a few others. This choice will be made based on merit in this little subcommunity, so play nice.

One last word of warning, nothing in the way of flames will be tolerated in here. ALL questions are welcome, no matter how simple, trivial or beginner. If you feel this area is beneath you, just move on.
bana
Greenskin

Post by bana »

So Ogre-specific newbie questions should still go in the Help thread correct?

I can see it now: how do I say Hello World in my new MMORPG :roll:

Good idea for the forum though, I was kinda wanting something like this but didn't realize it.
A proud member of the OpenFrag Coding Team.
http://coolhands.blogspot.com/
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

It'll probably take a bit to figure out what I actually mean when I say "OGRE specific". For now take a guess and I'll move it if I deem it one way or the other. Hopefully it'll feel obvious after a while.
alphabeta
Kobold

Post by alphabeta »

I've been appointed moderator (hurrah!) for this forum :)

I'd just like to take the time to emphasize, as temas said, be kind in your questions and answers, and anyone asking ANYTHING at all can expect to be treated with respect.
bana
Greenskin

Post by bana »

Awesome, congrats alphabeta, hopefully you can answer some of my crazy questions :) (err you already have hehe).
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

I suggest that when ever someone answers a question someone (moderator? :) ) adds it to the wiki and we can then point other users to it.
bana
Greenskin

Post by bana »

Ahh I like that idea, it would be way to much work on the moderator alone though, perhaps when someone (the OP perhaps?) has done it for a thread they post a reply saying:

****WIKIED****

or something.
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Sounds fine to me, and I like your suggestion bana.
paddy
Greenskin

Post by paddy »

I just want to say a big thank you for this forum section. I've wanted to ask more than once if any ogreians had recommendations for where to find 'c++ basics' boards, since the quality of this forum has been so outstanding - and its nice to see I don't have to go far now afterall :D
alphabeta
Kobold

Post by alphabeta »

I'd also like to say a big thank you... Not only has every post so far been mature and respectful, I can't even answer questions before someone else gets to it first (quite often the ogre devs themselves :D ).
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Things are definitely going great in here, great job everyone.
Goosey
Halfling

Post by Goosey »

I am so glad this board is here. The help has been simply incredible and quick, it is a very refreshing change from hoping the 1337 d00dz in ##C++ are in a helpful mood. You guys rock!
I <3 the OGRE Wiki, and SO SHOULD YOU! :)
Vychtor
Gnoblar

Thanks for the excellent resource

Post by Vychtor »

I have been designing software for years and this is a trick that most large corps never figure out :) Keep rocking with the forums.
irrdev
Orc

"Moved" flag littering up the forum!

Post by irrdev »

So many users are posting Ogre-Specific questions in this Back-to-Basics forum. I mean, there are dozens of "moved" flags messing it up. Maybe for this forum only, the "Moved" flag could be disabled? By now, I hope most users can distinguish the difference between programming questions and Ogre questions, but this dosen't seem to be the case... It is really annoying! It would be really simple to post a sticky stating that if any user is missing their thread, then they should look in the Help forum. I know this is against general forum notices, but it has been really awful lately for miss-placed posts! Just a suggestion. :wink:
SuprChikn
Bugbear

Post by SuprChikn »

If a person isn't really paying enough attention to realise that they are posting in the wrong forum (no offence to anyone), there seems to be a good chance that they aren't the type to read the sticky topics. It seems to me that if you remove the "moved" display option, you'd likely get a lot of new posts showing up from those same people either re-posting their original question and/or asking "where'd my post go?"

It usually doesn't take long before the threads with "moved" written on them disappear. I'm not sure if that's a time thing (ie; the "moved" link is automatically removed after a certain amount of days), or if they just end up getting pushed onto the next page where I don't see them.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

The moved keyword is a good hint and stays. Personally I never browse forums, but instead use the "show posts since last visit" link. So I don't realise it when a post is in the wrong topic. Though I move them when I do.

And since we're speaking about annoying things: Coloured or bold print posts *are* annoying. Those posts are not in any way more important than other posts. It is very distracting. Same goes for ALL CAPS HEADLINES.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I move topics around, relentlessly! :lol:

Otherwise people will never learn.

I don't use the show topics since last visit, because I like to see which forum the questions are in.

I also move some topics out of General Discussion because that forum is not for specific Ogre questions... :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Hey, cool link! Didn't notice it before! :)
(ps. next post will be 500th, not that I'm having a post competition or something, just that 500 is a cool number. :) )
pumpkin_zch2u
Gnoblar

Post by pumpkin_zch2u »

wonderful