Ogre Meshy 1.6 (Mesh viewer, Windows Installer & Linux sup.)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Re: Ogre Meshy 1.6 (Mesh viewer, Windows Installer & Linux s

Post by BohdanKornienko » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:19 pm

Ok. I have compiled your tool against Ogre without C++11.

Then I figured out that there is no Resources directory.
I have found Ubuntu precompiled application https://sourceforge.net/projects/ogreme ... 01.9.0%29/ and grabbed required files from there.

Application started but then crashed. Still not getting the idea why.

I have following suggestions:
* Add Resources directory to repository, so that all required files can be copied to install directory.
* I can run this code with debugger and see what caused a crash (hopefully with providing a fix).
* There is another nice thing (at least for linux users) that it is possible to copy resources.cfg and plugins.cfg from Ogre installation directory. So it can be added to CMake files as well.

I can all these things but never contributed to BitBucket projects. If you have a nice tutorial how to get around it I can do these things.

P.S. I am working under Archlinux.
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 pm

I won't deny the Linux compilation experience could be improved a lot. The COMPILING.txt file says:

Code: Select all

cd scripts/Resources
sh copyresources.sh
# CMake here to %OgreMeshyFolder%/build
cd ../../build
make all
cp OgreMeshy ../bin/Release_Linux/OgreMeshy
# Copy plugins plugins either from /usr/local/lib/OGRE or /usr/lib/OGRE to bin/Release_Linux/Plugins:
cd ../bin/Release_Linux
make install

!!! IMPORTANT: UBUNTU USERS !!!
OgreMeshy needs to have RW access to the folder "/home/user/.ogremeshy". The script "make install" will login as root, and may create the folder for the root user as owner instead of the local user.
To solve this problem, type "make ubuntu_install" instead.
I'm guessing you didn't run the copyresources.sh script?
As for the crash at startup, it's very likely the same problem Ubuntu faces (no RW access to /home/user/.ogremeshy folder)

This also reminds me OgreMeshy should be updated so that its config folder lives under /home/user/.config/ogremeshy instead of /home/user/.ogremeshy as is custom in this OS (and avoids cluttering the home folder).
0 x

BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Post by BohdanKornienko » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:34 pm

dark_sylinc wrote:I won't deny the Linux compilation experience could be improved a lot. The COMPILING.txt file says:

cd scripts/Resources
sh copyresources.sh
# CMake here to %OgreMeshyFolder%/build
cd ../../build
make all
cp OgreMeshy ../bin/Release_Linux/OgreMeshy
# Copy plugins plugins either from /usr/local/lib/OGRE or /usr/lib/OGRE to bin/Release_Linux/Plugins:
cd ../bin/Release_Linux
make install

!!! IMPORTANT: UBUNTU USERS !!!
OgreMeshy needs to have RW access to the folder "/home/user/.ogremeshy". The script "make install" will login as root, and may create the folder for the root user as owner instead of the local user.
To solve this problem, type "make ubuntu_install" instead.
I'm guessing you didn't run the copyresources.sh script?
As for the crash at startup, it's very likely the same problem Ubuntu faces (no RW access to /home/user/.ogremeshy folder)

This also reminds me OgreMeshy should be updated so that its config folder lives under /home/user/.config/ogremeshy instead of /home/user/.ogremeshy as is custom in this OS (and avoids cluttering the home folder).
Oh. Did not notice this txt file. I will take a look at it.
So why do not I do these copying things in CMake? CMake has all required functionality for that. (I just need directions how to contribute into your repo)

About RW thing. I do not think it is a problem. Since I am installing the tool into a home directory.
0 x

BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Post by BohdanKornienko » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 pm

By directions I mean how to better for from your project. How is it better push things on review. I believe that there should be some manuals. Just never worked with this VCS.

How to code I guess I will figure this out myself :lol:
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:29 pm

BohdanKornienko wrote:By directions I mean how to better for from your project. How is it better push things on review. I believe that there should be some manuals. Just never worked with this VCS.

How to code I guess I will figure this out myself :lol:
Steps:
  • Fork OgreMeshy on Bitbucket:
  • Commit your changes and then push to that fork. You have to set the address to point to your own fork that bitbucket gives you. You can push to your fork because you own it (have Read/Write access):
  • Then on Bitbucket, go to OgreMeshy's original repo in Bitbucket, and click on Create Pull Request
That's it!
Try to keep your code changes in the same style the rest of the code has been written.

Cheers
Matias
0 x

BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Post by BohdanKornienko » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 pm

Thanks. Seems not that difficult.
I will see what I can do.
So you do approve copying files into binary directory with CMake, do not you? Technically, I can try to replace this copy.sh file. So that it will be not required anymore (and in best scenario bat file for windows as well).
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

BohdanKornienko wrote:Thanks. Seems not that difficult.
I will see what I can do.
So you do approve copying files into binary directory with CMake, do not you? Technically, I can try to replace this copy.sh file. So that it will be not required anymore (and in best scenario bat file for windows as well).
Ideally the copy should be done via CMake instead of relying on manually executing the scripts.
0 x

BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Re: Ogre Meshy 1.6 (Mesh viewer, Windows Installer & Linux sup.)

Post by BohdanKornienko » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 pm

I have prepared pull request with changes: https://bitbucket.org/dark_sylinc/ogrem ... cmake/diff

I got the OgreMeshy running.
There is still left routines from copy script to do. Hopefully will do this in nearest future.
0 x

neetocin
Gnoblar

Re: Ogre Meshy 1.6 (Mesh viewer, Windows Installer & Linux sup.)

Post by neetocin » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Hello, is it possible to update OgreMeshy so that it compiles against Ogre 1.11? I am the Arch Linux AUR package maintainer for "ogremeshy-hg" and I am getting an error trying to build it. It seems to be related to a recent API change in Ogre::Exception. I think I remember it compiling okay for Ogre 1.10.

Thanks.

/home/rko/packages/ogremeshy-hg/src/ogremeshy/src/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrameImpl.cpp: In member function ‘void MeshyMainFrameImpl::takeSnapshot(bool)’:
/home/rko/packages/ogremeshy-hg/src/ogremeshy/src/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrameImpl.cpp:1495:10: error: ‘class Ogre::Exception’ has no member named ‘getNumber’
    if( e.getNumber() == Ogre::Exception::ERR_CANNOT_WRITE_TO_FILE && !askLocation )
          ^~~~~~~~~
0 x