Preview of Rigs of Rods, an offroad truck simulator

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
pricorde
Greenskin

Preview of Rigs of Rods, an offroad truck simulator

Post by pricorde »

Hi all,

Here is my first game: it is an offroad truck simulator. I used Ogre 1.0 for the graphics, Audiere for sounds and I developped the physics engine.
The physics engine is not a rigid-body type, but a soft-body based on particles network.
Trucks are made of interconnected beams. Loads are computed on each beams, which deforms according to the load. The result is a deformable chassis and deformable tires (which are also made of beams) and lots of fun to drive. (making deformable meshes in Ogre is a little less funny :lol:, not to mention shadows that are still missing)

This is still a work in progress, but it is downloadable as is at: http://rigsofrods.blogspot.com/
BEWARE: the physics engine is very CPU intensive and the game won't run without at least a 3GHz processor!!! Progress has still to be made to improve the engine efficiency (it still runs on a basic Euler integrator)... Runge Kutta here I am :shock: !

Screenshots are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68762199@N00/

Cheers, and a big thanks to the Ogre team for their marvelous work!

Pierre-Michel
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Holy /&%¤(&# !! :shock:

This is really, really interesting: videos and cherry-picked inline screenies, pretty please! :P

Refreshing to see a different take on physics! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Holy crap! :shock: It's amazing to see how so many cool Ogre projects just pop out of nothing all the time these days. :D

Didn't try your demo yet; I'll do that tomorrow. But the screenshots look really promising. Does this kind of physics work well for vehicles? Isn't it very difficult to find good parameters for the springs, if that's what they are?
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

This looks awesome! Will Beam be released to the public as open source?
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.
BlasterN
Gnome

Post by BlasterN »

Good screens & vehicle models.
I will try the demo.
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
jmonw
Goblin

Post by jmonw »

Looks great! I'll try it out as soon as I can get OGRE rebuilt for .NET 2003.

So much great stuff lately!
alphageek
Gnome

Post by alphageek »

Nice one!
Olex
Hobgoblin

Post by Olex »

Keep it up!
DWORD wrote:Holy crap! :shock: It's amazing to see how so many cool Ogre projects just pop out of nothing all the time these days.
Yeah, really cool.
Jens_K
Kobold

Post by Jens_K »

Very interesting project!
The view showing the ammount of force working on the single beams is very impressive. ---> giving it a scientific look ;)
Is it for something like vehicle engineering research, or do you have a game-attempt behind this techdemo?
ahhh... Performance, it's a real problem with extended physics like seen in your project. We're having problems with it too, though our game is using rather mainstream methods (novodex :roll: ).
Your attempt on deforming wheels is really cool!
I like your selection of vehicles. They're rarely seen in 3D apps.
cool work.
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

the physics for the trucks looks impressive! (i just ran the demo...pls give some physics to those buildings, i really wanted to hit the truck to one in great speed :) )
great work!
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

very exciting and interesting project! I like your physics idea, it's new, and seems to work well, especially for the wheels.

I tried the demo on my less than 3GHz system, and it ran fine (albeit really slow), so I'm looking forward to an optimized version!!

either way this project is looking fantastic :D :D :D
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Wow! That's really cool. The trucks have a really good feel to them. Your new approach to the physics is very interesting.

I can see this working perfectly in a "Rock Crawling" simulator. With buggies like these;
https://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.ht ... _sally.htm
https://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.ht ... imited.htm
https://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.ht ... livery.htm
:D
making deformable meshes in Ogre is a little less funny
You seemed to have managed it very well! Do you deform the meshes 'manually' or are they rigged up to the beams via skeletal animation?
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

Well done. It ran fine on a AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with ATI 9600xt for gfx card. At 800x600 DX9 full screen I got a steady 24 fps.
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

Thanks for the encouragements!
Yes, a spring array is a good way to model a vehicle, but the springs must be very, very strong so the integrator must run on very small time steps to avoid instabilities. This version uses a simple Euler integrator, with 100 integration steps per frame, and a capping at 20fps (below 20fps, the simulation is not realtime), so the integration steps are never below 1/2000th second (with several hundred nodes to compute)!!! And even with that, the chassis is not as rigid as I would want.
I hope that with a Runge Kutta intergrator it will require less steps per second.
The good news is that the model is extremely simple : I simulate monodimensional beams connected by ball-joint. The consequence is that I do not have to compute anything that has to do with angles (rotational speeds and moments, ...). I just compute nodes movements, and nodes are dimension-less objects. Also I do not compute anything central (center of inertia) and in fact if you split the truck in two, the two parts move independentely and realistically (I have seen impressive wheels run-offs)...
Yet the simulation is realistic : all the rigid body "laws" emerge from the interaction of nodes. You observe that the truck has a center of inertia, moments of intertia, you name it, but it is never explicitely computed.
Since everything is ball-joint, you must triangulate everything, and you can always obtain other joints by contruction (many extra triangulation beams are masked in trucks).

The Beam engine is not opensource, the main reason are that it is a horrible programming mess, and it does not uses a good integrator yet.

It is not vehicule engineering research : it would be too resource consuming to really simulate chassis parts. I intend to add some game logic someday.
I chosed trucks because everybody does cars ;-) The initial objective was to do a "truck trial" game :
http://www.europatruck-trial.com/Site-N ... rie_l1.php
with an extremely precise terrain map (~10cm resolution) that deforms under the wheels! But I am afraid the polygon count would be tremendeous...
Meshes are deformed manually. Skeletal would be better since it would allow more complex meshes, but it has the wrong topology for a truck (tree vs mesh).
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: Preview of Rigs of Rods, an offroad truck simulator

Post by :wumpus: »

Interesting game concept :) Fun.
pricorde wrote: (it still runs on a basic Euler integrator)... Runge Kutta here I am :shock: !
I'm afraid Runge-Kutta won't help you to get your integration faster (just much more stable, but slower). I think it's better to consider Leapfrog or Verlet instead. At least that's my experience.
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

:wumpus: wrote:Interesting game concept :) Fun.
pricorde wrote: (it still runs on a basic Euler integrator)... Runge Kutta here I am :shock: !
I'm afraid Runge-Kutta won't help you to get your integration faster (just much more stable, but slower). I think it's better to consider Leapfrog or Verlet instead. At least that's my experience.
That's interesting. I supposed that since Runge-Kutta is more stable, I would be able to reduce the number of steps per frame.
For example if RK allows me to go from 100 steps/frame (dt=1/2000) to 10 steps/frame (dt=1/200), that's a ten-fold reduction of the number of steps. So even is a RK step is a little slower (e.g. 5 times) there is still a 2x gain.
What do you think? I do not have a lot of experience in integrator performances.
I will check Leapfrog Verlet (which seems also easiest to implement than RK)...
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

pricorde wrote: That's interesting. I supposed that since Runge-Kutta is more stable, I would be able to reduce the number of steps per frame.
For example if RK allows me to go from 100 steps/frame (dt=1/2000) to 10 steps/frame (dt=1/200), that's a ten-fold reduction of the number of steps. So even is a RK step is a little slower (e.g. 5 times) there is still a 2x gain.
What do you think? I do not have a lot of experience in integrator performances.
I think that's a mistake a lot of people make; I did it once too. Although R-K is fabulously more stable than Euler, it doesn't allow for much larger timesteps for getting the same resolution. Depending on the forces you might be able to increase the timestep somewhat, but almost certainly not enough to beat Euler in performance.
Good idea.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

Yes, RK2 or a midpoint integrator is by far more stable that the euler, but even when you can do larger time steps because the result approximation is better, you have to do more calculations per time step, calculating the derivative multiple times per step

In Runge-Kutta2, first an Euler integration is done with the half of the time step, then the derivatives ar calculated, at the midpoint, and these are used to complete the time step

So better stability, yes, but if you are looking for improving the performance of your integrator, as :wumpus: pointed, there are other alternatives

what is interesting is this Semi-Implicit Euler, i have to try it sometime on some project, it claims to have better stability than euler

read about it here http://www.cs.unc.edu/~coombe/comp259/hw1/

Lioric
BlasterN
Gnome

Post by BlasterN »

I test the game now.

I have to say one thing I don't like the gameplay in some vehicles like the connected bus, I see when I try to "climp" a mountain if the bus can reach the top slide and the collisions goes crazy, 4 fps with 3200 amd64...

When the vehicle upset i can't use reinitialize. you must put a key that put the car over the terrain.

It's really good concept but need to be optimized (everybody knows that).

BTW: Really impresing models.
BTW2: Why when I trun on the stadistisc say "Not real time" ??
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

Very cool game/tech demo. I did manage to break the segmented bus, I don't know if that is a feature or a bug. I was trying to climb the mountain and bus started sliding, then slowly it folded into itself. The It kind of did a full twist and I heard a snap. After that Some of the beams were flying randomly around.
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

Game_Ender wrote:Very cool game/tech demo. I did manage to break the segmented bus, I don't know if that is a feature or a bug. I was trying to climb the mountain and bus started sliding, then slowly it folded into itself. The It kind of did a full twist and I heard a snap. After that Some of the beams were flying randomly around.
Errm, it look like you breaked something :wink:

Indeed, it's a feature. If you overload a beam, it snaps...
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

BlasterN wrote: I have to say one thing I don't like the gameplay in some vehicles like the connected bus, I see when I try to "climp" a mountain if the bus can reach the top slide and the collisions goes crazy, 4 fps with 3200 amd64...
Uh, it looks like the physics engine lost tracks. Maybe the AMDs are slower to run this code...
BlasterN wrote: When the vehicle upset i can't use reinitialize. you must put a key that put the car over the terrain.
You have the 'I' key to reinitialize (sometimes it does not works if the simulation explodes). Plus you have on the blue Daf hydros to put the truck upright (F1, F2, F3, F4 keys). You can also use the crane on the yellow truck.
BlasterN wrote:
BTW: Really impresing models.
BTW2: Why when I trun on the stadistisc say "Not real time" ??
That means that the sim does not run above 20fps, so the time is slowed to enforce the 1/2000 integration step per seconds.
In short that means that your CPU is too slow to run correctly the sim (and btw I'm scared to see this on a 3200 amd64 :shock: )
[/quote]
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

:wumpus: wrote:
Good idea.
Guess what...
I was already on a kind of leapfrog Verlet. The same kind as the "Semi-Implicit Euler" Lioric told about.
I gooffed the Euler equations (integrated v+1 instead of v to compute p) and was on a leapfrog, that is indeed more stable.
The bad news is that I think I already use the fastest integrator in town... :cry:
pricorde
Greenskin

Post by pricorde »

Update: a new version (0.12) is on the web site.
The main new features are:
-Collisions with some buildings (it was easiest than I thought, the soft-body engine makes collisions easy: if a node is inside collision box, nullify normal velocity, move node to the nearest point out of the box, and that's it! The rest of the chassis frame absorbs the shock!)
-Texture shadows. They look a little blocky, and there are some artefacts, but this is better than nothing. I have some difficulties to get stencil shadows right for my soft bodies. I will post to the Help forum about that.
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Lioric wrote: what is interesting is this Semi-Implicit Euler, i have to try it sometime on some project, it claims to have better stability than euler
Another interesting thing to persue might be adaptive timestep integration with the so-called "Courant condition". When forces and velocities are low for a body or group of bodies, a high timestep is good enough. As soon as things start to be active you have to switch to lower steps for them.
Complex to implement, and even harder to get stable though. I'd exhaust other possibilities first like finding simpler/more stable force expressions.