screenshots of a tilebased terrain manager

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
bal
Greenskin

Post by bal »

Are you using A* or another pathfinding algorithm?
Horizon
Greenskin

Post by Horizon »

Simply amazing!
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

It has been a while since i posted the last screenshot, so I'll show a shot from a strategy game that I'm coding at the moment and that uses this tile manager.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Awesome! :D
I see that both Code-Black and the great tilebased terrain engine is progressing! :P
madmax
Halfling

Post by madmax »

Nice shot! 8)
"It's a dangerous business going out your front door".
J. R R. Tolkien

---------
Sunny Arkanoid :wink:
madtulip
Halfling

Post by madtulip »

hey filopher, nice to see that your still on it. i also had a longer break due to exams and the lack of a 3d artist in my project.

my last implementation to your tile manager was the collision detection system ogreopcode that jacmoe is curryently working on (if i remember that right).

the pathfinding is indeed A* and supports different costs for movement for different tiles, based on pre given values like wood, road i.e. and also a check for meshes that may happen to block the tile. in the case of meshes i tried to generalise objects that a person could "step on" or "crouch under" like chairs and tables. i didnt want to pre definde those costs for chairs and tables like those from wood and road to keep it more dynamic for a dynamic enviremont that is planed to be implanted (i.e. blasting away a brick wall that scatters its bricks all of the tiles and deciding dynamicly wether the heap of bricks is to high to walk over) this rips the objects on the tiles away from the tile based surface they are standing on - im not yet sure if it will work out.the pathfinding also supports all 3 axes so you could find your way inside a multi leveled building i.e. . to be honest its more of a "teleport" system between multiple layers (levels) of tile maps. those teleport spots are determined dynamicly, so if your "player" manages to walk over heaps of bricks until he reaches a specific high he will enter the tile map one level above him (imagine some tiles with stairs on them, where entering the top most stair takes you to the next high level). this system might lead to redundant information (there might be a heap of bricks on floor level 0 that is that high that is overlaps floor level 1), im looking into that later :roll: .

it would be very kind if you could send me your actual tile engine code filopher. i think you said that you where planing to implement methodes to change skins, lightmaps and so on on your tiles. i would like to use that if i may. after implementation i will of course send you all my code to grap some usefull parts (if there are any ö).

hf coding !
Imperil

Post by Imperil »

madtulip is your code with opcode integration available or is it just something you keep closed source? I would love to take a look at it if it is available online somewhere.
Gila
Gnoblar

Post by Gila »

This looks fantastic, nice work guys... I love all that turn-based Xcom/Civ/Jagged Alliance type stuff.

Keep up the good work - hopefully one day I'll get my strategy project to the screenshot stage :wink:
muppet
Halfling

Post by muppet »

Very nice indeed!
ODE - Open Game Engine (OGE) - http://oge.dayark.com/

"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift"
irrdev
Orc

Just great!

Post by irrdev »

This is great! Just what I (think) I need for my flight simulator! Keep up the good work!
FeedLaunch .NET RSS and ATOM feed editor- open-source and released under the GPL. Visit Feed Launch .NET Project Website hosted at sourceforge.net
aiinas
Gnoblar

Post by aiinas »

Can the code be shared to some of us, i am very interested in viewing and using the code if its open source, thanks in advance,
y2korny
Gnoblar

Post by y2korny »

I would also love to get a chance to play with the code. Been thinking of trying to do a Populous clone and this would be a great terrain system it looks like!
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately I'm very busy at the moment. I've finished my exams a few months ago and I'm now working at a german university as a researcher. I did not code anything in the last few months. However, I'm trying to revive the code-black project in the next weeks and I hope that there will be progress soon again.
Horizon
Greenskin

Post by Horizon »

Any news, Filopher? Still very interested in the source-code. The version of the TileEngine that's available from your website is much earlier than some of your beautiful screenshots here :).
Slappy
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

use

Post by Slappy »

I would like to use this code for my game (in development) too...
Is the newest version avaiable???
db123
Halfling

Post by db123 »

It looks very well.
rogerdv
Gnome

Post by rogerdv »

Any news about this? Updated code?
J_Pierre
Gnoblar

Post by J_Pierre »