Scythe - The worlds first Physics Editor (Now open source!)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
viblo
Gnoblar

Post by viblo »

It started ok after I deleted the prefs.cfg file.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Post by Captain_Deathbeard »

ok thanks for that. It will run funny like that but I will fix it in the next version.

Please let me know if you spot any more crashes, I am expecting to release version 1.0 this week so you can try it out then.
viblo
Gnoblar

Post by viblo »

I have now played around some in Scythe, and I have a small feature request: It would be nice if you could select objects when you are in move or rotate mode. Anyway, it seems like it can be a very usefull program :)

I have also experienced a couple of craches:

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Objektreferensen har inte angetts till en instans av ett objekt.
   at MyFormProject.MainForm.physTest(Boolean b)
   at MyFormProject.MainForm.toolBar1_ButtonClick(Object sender, ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.OnButtonClick(ToolBarButtonClickEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolBar.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
They have happend when I have had 2 or 3 spheres or boxes (but no meshes) and pressed the run simulation button. However, I havent been able to reproduce the the error in a cotrolled way.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

You are right, I will add that feature in soon :)

As for the crash, let me know if it still happens in the next release (on the 12th).
Meddten
Halfling

Post by Meddten »

Captain_Deathbeard wrote:
Too bad it's not free/open-source.
I cant afford to, I will starve :D But it will be cheap, the price of a game.

Will it include the source then? When is the date we can buy it?
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Meddten wrote:Will it include the source then? When is the date we can buy it?
Now actually :) although it still has some bugs to be ironed out, I'm working on them rather rapidly.
http://www.physicseditor.com/buy.html

I have made the physics engine implementation a plugin system, so you just chuck newtonplugin.dll and physxplugin.dll in the plugins dir and you get:

The same for file formats. All the plugins WILL be open source.

I'm not really sure about releasing the source to the whole editor though, I'd be worried about other companies ripping it off. Out of interest, what would you want the source for? I mean, what specifically would you like to be able to change about it?
Last edited by Captain_Deathbeard on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meddten
Halfling

Post by Meddten »

I mean, what specifically would you like to be able to change about it?

Just to have the capability to change or add features without waiting till you make them, or to create new features which only releated to my my workflow, which you will never add to it :)
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I see. There is a section of object parameters called 'custom' which are there to help with extra unortodox-type functions, its not much though I admit.
If you have any feature requests its good to make them early and I'll do my best to add them. Even if its something thats totally specific to your own game, tell me about it and I can use that example to expand on the custom parameters section to make it more useful and hopefully it will fulfill your needs. I want to make it as useful as possible for everyone. I'm looking for a lot of feedback at this stage, I need people to go through it and tell me whats wrong and whats missing so any feedback is appreciated.
razor950
Gnoblar

Post by razor950 »

Well, I know this is something that I or anyone could do once the plugin framework is released but I would like to know if you would ever add ODE support. This program is a very useful tool for my project and it should be useful to many other projects. Hopefully you continue to add features and fix bugs, thanks again for this awesome tool.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

razor950 wrote:Well, I know this is something that I or anyone could do once the plugin framework is released but I would like to know if you would ever add ODE support. This program is a very useful tool for my project and it should be useful to many other projects. Hopefully you continue to add features and fix bugs, thanks again for this awesome tool.
Actually yes, because ODE is quite a widely used engine, I think its the only other physics engine I intend to add myself.

First though I have to finish off the Newton plugin, and add PhysX hardware support ;)

Also as you can probably see from the webpage I'm working on some example models and a standalone Ogre demo (opensource) to help with implementation.

You can still use the editor for now even if your game uses ODE, just the preview simulations might run a little differently.
razor950
Gnoblar

Post by razor950 »

Nice to know your going to add ODE support. I use mostly yake or openfrag which use ogre3D for rendering, this is a tool that Im going to be telling my team to use for sure because we will need it soon when adding physics to the objects. Im working on a fps which might or might not be opensource but we're aiming for making every object interactive so a tool like this is very useful. Hopefully you continue working on this tool and physX support would be cool even through I personally dont have one but I have seen what it does and such. Thanks again for this tool and cant wait until ODE is added.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Thanks for the support razor, I work on it full-time so have no worries about updates!
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I have decided to make Scythe free for non-commercial use, so knock yourselves out!

I also now have some cool demo constructions, check the first page of this thread for more screens:

IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Awesome!

If only i could find out how to use this in oF.. :P
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Physics format loader source:
http://www.physics-editor.com/scytheSDK.zip
Format loading tutorial:
http://www.physics-editor.com/physloader.html
and format loading example:
http://www.physics-editor.com/Scythe_tech_demo_1-2.zip

If you can suggest anything else, let me know :D
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

Cool project. :)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Really awesome work. I looked at using this earlier, but then it was not free. Now that it is, I'm really happy. Great contribution.
Levia
Halfling

Post by Levia »

I will integrate the loader into openfrag:) Thanks.
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Aye captain, any news on ODE support? ;)
razor950
Gnoblar

Post by razor950 »

I have been busy this few days, Nice to see that you made it free for noncommerical use :)

Also nice new features and if levia hasnt added the loader into openfrag then I'll do it soon myself. Once again I love your work and continue it as long as you can.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Thanks for the encouragement. IFASS, I first intend to finish off newton, add the little things like motors and limits, then I'll move onto ODE, it will probably be at least a month.

And if anyone makes anything cool then feel free to show it here or on the website forums, I'd love to see it.
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Captain_Deathbeard wrote:Thanks for the encouragement. IFASS, I first intend to finish off newton, add the little things like motors and limits, then I'll move onto ODE, it will probably be at least a month.

And if anyone makes anything cool then feel free to show it here or on the website forums, I'd love to see it.
good to hear.. we are _really_ looking forward to it.. imagine the cool things we can with it ^_^
saladin
Halfling

Post by saladin »

Awesome to the extend of E.V.I.L. :twisted: :twisted:

Feels like playing god totally.

With above said, pretty please with 8 teeth shown:
Can you add more hotkeys? Maybe have them conform to the blender default way of moving things around?

Can a ragdoll and a vehical example be added? Those will potentially draw a lot of users.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Wow, I can't believe I missed those new screens the first time round. Really nice work!
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Aye cap!

Any news on an ODE plugin maybe? 8)