GraLL - WIP Topic (Game Released. Check Other Topic)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

I like the theme, but it needs more colour. Maybe the symbols need to be coloured, or maybe the tiles themselves. Nice though.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

esuvs wrote:I like the theme, but it needs more colour. Maybe the symbols need to be coloured, or maybe the tiles themselves. Nice though.
Sure. I was thinking of that too. I will add colour to the symbols, and also coloured tiles (but most tiles will still be white or black)

Ok, 21st level half done. The levels from 21 to 30 will be quite huge (I think I already mentioned that somewhere). Here's a screenshot of half the 21st level in action (or rather, GraLL in action in half of level 21 :) ):-
icesyncer
Kobold

Re: GraLL - WIP Topic - Beta Demo Released!

Post by icesyncer »

Hey nikki, nice game , Hey guys well , I have this error while playing nikki 's GraLL beta demo, I've extracted the game and I've clicked on Release in the "bin" folder and I selected the ONLY option in the rendering substation that is OPEN GL rendering machine. Then I click on play ,

BUT when i click on play , This error happened , I get the error

[code]the instruction at 0x00000000 referenced memory at 0x00000000 could not be read.

Click OK to terminate the program
Click cancel.[/code]

Well , I think it is some kind of RAM error or some registry error or maybe I have some missing DLLs, please advise .....

IceSync
Last edited by icesyncer on Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

icesyncer, I think you should edit your post to remove all the quoting. Because currently, its a big mess. :)

EDIT: Ok. You fixed it.

I got that error a few times too in the old version. I fixed it now, but I don't want to post the latest version, because then all the levels will be shown before the actual game is released. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

21st level completed! (actually, I completed it on Tuesday, but forgot to tell you guys)

I could never get around to start work on the 22nd level though, since I haven't yet got a really good idea. :(
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

You totally did it!!! Here's the idea , make it a maze =) OK make it a maze with jumping pads and walls on top of the path of the jumping pad , this is how you do it , the user (the one playing the game) will have to calculate his jump in such a way that he will go through the narrow section of walls. Dont make this part filled with bombs , this is just the beginning and this will kind of frustrate the user , like jumper =).
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I need motivation. Motivate me. :)
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

OK.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

It's hard for us to motivate you any more than we have if you don't release another demo. Every bug that has been mentioned, you've replied with 'okay, that will be fixed in the final release'. That leaves us waiting on you before we can play any further.
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

OK. Nikki , that idea which i sent you about a section of floor filled with jumping pads and above those pads will be a small section of roof and the player has to calculate his speed.... :twisted: :idea: :idea: :idea:
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Aladrin wrote:It's hard for us to motivate you any more than we have if you don't release another demo. Every bug that has been mentioned, you've replied with 'okay, that will be fixed in the final release'. That leaves us waiting on you before we can play any further.
I know. The problem is that I don't want you guys to see the levels and be able to play them before the actual release of the game.
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

From the screenshots and trailer I suggest your graphics could be a lot more coloured and have more contrast :) Using shaders for more effects could be very effective as well. Animated materials, glowing things etc. would look great in my oppinion.

As it stands the graphics look solid but in my oppinion not really interesting.
Enough is never enough.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

jjp wrote:From the screenshots and trailer I suggest your graphics could be a lot more coloured and have more contrast :) Using shaders for more effects could be very effective as well. Animated materials, glowing things etc. would look great in my oppinion.
Sure. I will look into that. What kind of effects using shaders would look good?
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

Usually the keys and GraLL and well , the bombs ofcourse look good with shader FX. :shock:
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

nikki wrote:
jjp wrote:From the screenshots and trailer I suggest your graphics could be a lot more coloured and have more contrast :) Using shaders for more effects could be very effective as well. Animated materials, glowing things etc. would look great in my oppinion.
Sure. I will look into that. What kind of effects using shaders would look good?
There are lots of ways you could go I think. Taking a little inspiration from Tron 2.0 or Geometry Wars is something I could imagine looking good with the kind of geometry in you game (and without needing complicated lighting). But that is just one idea and there are many more viable ones out there waiting to be exploited :)

Enough is never enough.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Wow. Thanks for the idea, jjp. It suits the style of the game (futuristic, artificial, industrial, sci-fi) very well. I am not very sure how it must be implemented, though. I know that I must use shaders, but I know nothing at all about any shader language. Maybe I could use Rendermonkey for some visual aid in that field.
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

I am just in the process of learning shader languages myself. So far I can say: RenderMonkey and FXComposer are nice to take a look at sample shaders but in the end you are better of just writing shader code in a text editor and watching how it looks on your meshes in Ogre.

If you know how to program it won't be a problem to pick up the basics within a few days. As there are shaders on the web for most effects one would ever want to use it mostly winds down to re-combining and copying stuff. For doing that you only need a basic understanding of the math behind. Do try shaders - I don't know any other place where you can get this kind of instant visual feedback for your work. Very fun and rewarding :)
Enough is never enough.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

jjp wrote:Do try shaders - I don't know any other place where you can get this kind of instant visual feedback for your work. Very fun and rewarding :)
Sure. But let me do the levels first. After that, I'll look into shaders and adding finishing touches to the graphics, after which I will need to add sound effects. And then, after at least 3 weeks of testing, bug fixing and adding quick features, the game will hopefully be complete.

I just finished making the 22 level. I will test it tomorrow. Sleepy... Zzzz.... :)

EDIT: I think a bloom compositor with the right parameters can achieve a good 'sci-fi glow' effect.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

I have put up a short gameplay preview on YouTube. I had to switch off shadows while recording it, because the frame rate becomes lower while recording. Watch it here.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Ok, level 22 done! :)
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

Nice game.
icesyncer
Kobold

Post by icesyncer »

Wow, level 22 is over , thats great ... :?
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

icesyncer wrote:Wow, level 22 is over , thats great ... :?
Is that good or bad? You have an 'irritated' emoticon. :)
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

@nikki
I am fan of ChipsCallenge and your game looks and work very good. Well done.

Do you know about the opensource ChipsChallenge clone Tworld ?
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

ahmedali wrote:@nikki
I am fan of ChipsCallenge and your game looks and work very good. Well done.

Do you know about the opensource ChipsChallenge clone Tworld ?
Cool! I like Chip's Challenge too! I used to play it when I was little. And yes, I know about TWorld. In fact, I was just playing it this week. :)