GraLL - WIP Topic (Game Released. Check Other Topic)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Sure. Its tough, but I don't think it is frustrating. Its quite rare that a Player will die in this level, in fact, there's a secret map of this level hidden somewhere in the game. I can't tell you where, though. :) Also, it's the 29th level (the one before the last level), so it is bound to take a lot of tries before being completed, and not many people will reach this stage either. :)

I have a few testers testing the game, and if they find that it is indeed to difficult, I can decrease the difficulty.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

nikki wrote:...in fact, there's a secret map of this level hidden somewhere in the game.
I think that's a cool idea!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

esuvs wrote:
nikki wrote:...in fact, there's a secret map of this level hidden somewhere in the game.
I think that's a cool idea!
There are a lot of such easter eggs hidden around the game. There are some cheats too. :)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Really looking forward to it, Nikki!
You're crazy! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Wow. At last, a long awaited reply from jacmoe. Thanks! This has suddenly given me a lot of motivation, but unfortunately, its bedtime. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Woohoo! I've put all my stuff onto my mom's laptop, and it builds and runs perfectly. In fact, I've even added a few features, and fixed a bug. I added some more cheats too. :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Well, I think will take a 2 week break before continuing work on GraLL, since I am in my vacations anyway. I will continue work on GraLL on the 24th of July. I have seen before that a 2 week break brings an increase in productivity, like after the break during my exams, when I made 3 levels in 1 week! :)

I am trying to stay away from working on it, but I have made some bug fixes etc., but I will not work on adding any actual new features. The only thing left now is to make the 30th level. I will jot down my ideas which I will include in the level, and I'll add them when I actually work on them later.

I am going leaving to a different town next week, and will leave my laptop behind, so I am forced to take the break anyway. :)

So, wish me best of luck! :)
Last edited by nikki on Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Landix
Gnoblar

Post by Landix »

I hope you will release soon :)

I like these games!

When i can help you in some textures models or maps, tell me.

Keep up the good work!
Landix
Gnoblar

Post by Landix »

And what do you use, to make lvls?

sry for doublepost
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Landix wrote:And what do you use, to make lvls?
For levels, I use Blender, with a custom level exporter that I wrote. The files exported by the exporter are then used by the game. Here's a video explaining the process (it is very bad quality, and the actual game has been recorded in an extremely distorted manner, check out my other videos for a better quality view of the actual game):-
Blender Level Editing Video
Landix
Gnoblar

Post by Landix »

yepp i saw all videos...

looks nice, did you release a LvL editor, too?

Or the exporter for blender?

It must be nice to make Level for the Game.

cu
Landix
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Yes, I will release a special version of GraLL which can play user-made levels around a month or so after the release of the actual game. There will also be a tutorial (maybe a video tutorial) about how to make such levels.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

GraLL has a new website! Check out the website, make sure you read everything, and check out the Gallery and Videos sections. There are Forums too, but don't register yet. Here's the link:-
Link
Landix
Gnoblar

Post by Landix »

Yepp

N1 Site

go on with that!
Borundin
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by Borundin »

I like the new site design!
Actually I was thinking about using Joomla for my own website. Seems like a decent CMS. Also good idea with the "Behind The Scenes" section in the Gallery :)
Image : Image
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Borundin wrote:Also good idea with the "Behind The Scenes" section in the Gallery :)
Except I note that in the first scrrenshot you are working on Grall, even though the clock says 5:28 and the calendar says you shouldn't start that till 6:00! tut tut :wink:
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

esuvs wrote:
Borundin wrote:Also good idea with the "Behind The Scenes" section in the Gallery :)
Except I note that in the first scrrenshot you are working on Grall, even though the clock says 5:28 and the calendar says you shouldn't start that till 6:00! tut tut :wink:
Oh! I did that in my relax time. If you see the previous entry in the calendar for that day, it was 'Biology record + relax'. The Biology record got over fast, so I thought "Relax time? Why not do some non-technical GraLL work?". :) (In fact, if you look into it even more, you see that it shows 5:28 AM! :shock: )

Nice work noticing though. This shows that people are actually looking at the images. And its already got around 15 hits! Yay! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

The final level has been finally (woah, two finals!) been completed! And I've finished testing it too!

I've also added a cutscene that shows what happens at the end of the game. It is not shown in a very clear way, so the Player is left waiting for GraLL 2 to fully understand it. :)

When the Player completes the game, he gets a special code that he can send to me, and I'll add his name to the hall of fame (not made yet) at the website. The number of times he cheated and his score is embedded into the code so I can show it on the website, and it is very difficult to crack too. When I receive a mail, I'll add the code to a list and check whether new codes are already in the list so that I can make sure that a person doesn't release his code to everyone else. There is a very low chance of two codes being the same, because the score, number of cheats used and a lot of other things have to be the same.

I just need to rework the opening credits, finish the readme file, add easter eggs, release the final test version, test, test, and test more, and the game will be released! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Ok, GraLL has been completed, but it isn't released yet. It will have to go through around 1 or 2 weeks of rigorous testing with my testers before being freed. Expect to see a 'GraLL Released!' message here soon! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Based on the tester feedback until now, I've fixed a few bugs, and I've also added skyboxes. Here are some screenshots showing the skyboxes (the last one has become one of my favourite screenshots from GraLL):-

Lab

Egypt

Unknown
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

nikki wrote:Based on the tester feedback until now, I've fixed a few bugs, and I've also added skyboxes. Here are some screenshots showing the skyboxes (the last one has become one of my favourite screenshots from GraLL):-

<snip>
That Unknown skybox looks great! Is it animated?
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

neocryptek wrote:
nikki wrote:Based on the tester feedback until now, I've fixed a few bugs, and I've also added skyboxes. Here are some screenshots showing the skyboxes (the last one has become one of my favourite screenshots from GraLL):-

<snip>
That Unknown skybox looks great! Is it animated?
No, not for the time being. I'm going to animate it today (it keeps scrolling down). The problem is that the skybox slowly fades away into black toward the bottom, so that the bottom is black. When I make it scroll, this fading moves too. So, I need to make two passes one with the fading and one with a non-faded texture which keeps scrolling. I'll do that later today.

Thanks for the compliment! :)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Hehe... The statement for the skybox creation is one of the funniest I've written in a while. It looks like this (Level 30 shouldn't have a skybox):-

Code: Select all

GlbVar.ogreSmgr->setSkyBox((lvlNo != 30), (lvlNo < 11) ? ("LabBackground") : ( (lvlNo < 21) ? ("EgyptBackground") : ("UnknownBackground")));
Landix
Gnoblar

Post by Landix »

I am really exited for the final release!

looks all great, for a "Free Game" i give you 99 Points from 100.

Great skills, for your age!

Go on with that, and i am sure we hear much more about you...
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Landix wrote:I am really exited for the final release!

looks all great, for a "Free Game" i give you 99 Points from 100.

Great skills, for your age!

Go on with that, and i am sure we hear much more about you...
Nice to see that you like the game. And 99 points from 100? :shock: That's really great! Thanks! :)