Snakeworlds (3D snake game) - *released* on 4/3/09 (page 4)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Snakeworlds (3D snake game) - *released* on 4/3/09 (page 4)

Post by scriptkid »

[EDIT] Modified this first post, because the game has gotten a new domain and is now fully free to play (no adware or anything). [/EDIT]

Links:
Snake on Youtube
Snake game installer (most Windows versions)
Snake game images

Enjoy!

You're welcome to take a visit and post any comments at the end of the thread :)
Last edited by scriptkid on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Check out my released 3D snake game using Ogre!
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by hmoraldo »

Spherical snake... a very interesting idea indeed!!

Nice screenshots too...
H. Hernan Moraldo
Personal website
Ayudo
Halfling

Post by Ayudo »

Nice idea!

Well I would have called it Snake3d, but a google shows that there are already Snake3ds.
Have a look at:
http://www.addictinggames.com/snake3d.html

Anyways, keep going!

How about "extras" like in Super Mario Kart?
"Jump": On invoking it makes you jump above the next field, so you could cross your tale.
"Cut": You can cut your tale off
and so on...
saluk
Gnoblar

Post by saluk »

Very nice looking game scriptkid. How big are the files for the demo? I could host the archive if you need to, or you could just put it up on divshare.com. If it's less than 100 mb it will be fine, otherwise you could split it in 2 (but I don't see snake on a sphere being larger than 100mb). They won't delete the files or anything like other places do.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

I'd call it:

"Snakes NOT on a Plane!"
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

How about:
- Sphere Snake
- Bowl Snake or Snake Bowl
- Globe Snake or Snake Globe
?
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

Hi all,

thanks for these responses!

@Ayudo: yeah i know the link. It's also a nice less-flat adaption. I did quite a bit of research to make sure there wasn't something like this yet :-)

@Saluk: the files are under 7MB, so that's not the issue. Thanks for the suggestion of 'divshare.com', i will check it out!

About the names: maybe it should be something without 'snake' in it, but on the other hand it's hard to overlook that part ;-) There isn't a storyline (yet), otherwise the snake could become a character, which would make the game's name or something...

I like the 'NOT on a plane'. To deal with the past for good ;-)
Last edited by scriptkid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

How about a giant intergalactic snake that wanders from planet to planet, feasting on whatever edible it finds there. And you need it to grow large enough so it can catapult itself to a new (bigger) home. Just some crazy ideas, but I imagine that could really look weird and funny :)

Your current kind of abstract art does not look too bad to me. Hope you do upload a demo of that game soon.
Enough is never enough.
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

Hi jjp,

no crazy ideas at all! I have been playing with such thoughts too. Mainly the 'intergalactic' part. Like the Katamari game if you know that, doing some cool stuff with scaling (litterally) etcetera. But i'm having some ideas about traveling from one sphere to the next indeed. And bigger or smaller spheres.

Thanks! :-)
Last edited by scriptkid on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by hmoraldo »

Falagard wrote:I'd call it:

"Snakes NOT on a Plane!"
Amazing name!!
H. Hernan Moraldo
Personal website
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

hmoraldo wrote:

"Snakes NOT on a Plane!"
Amazing name!!
Hehe, yeah I like that, nice one Falagard.
We could even fine tune it Borat style and make it:

"Snakes on a plane........pause......NOT"
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

i like the name snakes on a sphere..

you could have a multiplayer mode (taking the name "snakes" litterly). 2 (or more?) snakes on 1 larger planet, you both have to eat things and both get bigger, making it very hard and competitive.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I also think "Snake On A Sphere" is a fine name. It fits the style and it already strongly resembles "Snake on a Plane", no need to make it any more blatant. ;)

And I very much like the flat basic style of it. Maybe you could tweak the colours a bit. I am not a colour expert by any means, but maybe a shallow green is missing, it would fit well to background and boxes. Either recolour sphere or snake segments or both, don't know, has to be tried. But thoughtful colouring can improve the wonderfully naive look further.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

@Chris Jones: multiplayer could be an option indeed, but probably as an offline co-op mode, not online. Right now online play is -except for a central highscore- out of scope.

@haffax: i'm almost embarrassed about the nice comments on the graphics. Initially i made some screenshots using default Ogre materials. But after getting some advice i decided to create some different stuff. It took me about 2 hours using MS Paint! ;-)

You are right about the style though; i think that a look like this suits casual games better then very advanced shaders and such. But someone with more knowledge of colours should have a look.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nice idea :)

"Snakes NOT on a Plane!"
Class! :lol: :lol:
Ajare
Goblin

Post by Ajare »

scriptkid wrote:But someone with more knowledge of colours should have a look.
If you just want colour schemes, take a look at this site. Nice idea, btw. :)
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

haffax wrote:I also think "Snake On A Sphere" is a fine name. It fits the style and it already strongly resembles "Snake on a Plane", no need to make it any more blatant. ;)
I recon "Snakes on a sphere"
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

Hi all,

i have edited the first post with details about a first playable demo!

Have fun :-)
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

"I am sick and tired of these *beep* snakes on this *beep* sphere!!"
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

I played it! Very solid man, awesome. I liked the way you want the player to get used to snake and get him through various levels. I have some suggestions though!
1. Let the mouse live at GUI mode!! (it's kind of annoying for me to just use keys).
2. I would like to be able to select the level I want to play... for example, start directly at level 5.

Another thing, the Nokia version of the game had a different meaning for scores/speed:
Level = Speed = (Score per dot)
For example... if you player level 9.
speed = super fast
score per dot = 9

I loved this game on the nokia and would literally spend hours playing. My 2 cents would be a suggestion: making a CLASSIC SNAKE mode where the scoring and speed would be the same as the Nokia version.

Great work man!
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

kneeride wrote:"I am sick and tired of these *beep* snakes on this *beep* sphere!!"
The "'s make it look like a quote. Who said this?
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

Hi skullfire,

thanks for checking out the demo! I'm glad that you liked the tutorial levels, i really thought them necessary to keep the 'casual' feeling.
1. Let the mouse live at GUI mode!! (it's kind of annoying for me to just use keys).
Okay, the reason i didn't add the mouse was because you don't need it for playing the game itself. I might reconsider this then :-)
2. I would like to be able to select the level I want to play... for example, start directly at level 5.
Good thinking, especially for demo/testing purposes this is definately required. And also being able to restart a level by just pressing a button. And some more 'cheats'.
Another thing, the Nokia version of the game had a different meaning for scores/speed:
Level = Speed = (Score per dot)
For example... if you player level 9.
speed = super fast
score per dot = 9
I get the idea. I played it on nokia, but never bother to look at the scoring system ;-) ATM score does only depend on your length, not your speed. But it's on my try-outs list too!
I loved this game on the nokia and would literally spend hours playing. My 2 cents would be a suggestion: making a CLASSIC SNAKE mode where the scoring and speed would be the same as the Nokia version.
Yeah like an unlockable after beating the game. I though about this, but for an even older classic one: "nibbles" on MS-DOS. Good suggestion anyway :-)
Great work man!
Thanks! And thanks again for checking it out :-)
Ajare
Goblin

Post by Ajare »

The speed at the start is rather slow - it makes the beginning a bit tedious. I think it's safe to speed it up, the learning curve is very shallow :)

Although it may require some redesign, I stronly urge you to make the snake move in a continuous fashion, rather than the discrete steps it's currently taking - it'll make a big difference, as well as making the game seem faster.

Anyway, I only say all this because your game is a great idea, and could be genuinely addictive if you get it 'right'. You're on the right track!

Bugwise, some of the knots aren't aligned with the snake's grid, which can make them hard to pick up (sometimes you can only grab them from one direction).
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

scriptkid wrote:
kneeride wrote:"I am sick and tired of these *beep* snakes on this *beep* sphere!!"
The "'s make it look like a quote. Who said this?
It's a quote from the movie snakes on a plane (but of course samuel jackson says plane instead of sphere ;)
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

Ajare wrote: ...stronly urge you to make the snake move in a continuous fashion, rather than the discrete steps it's currently taking - it'll make a big difference, as well as making the game seem faster.
Heh... forgot to put this one too.

Another idea for a future release ("stop the requirements! ack!")... jumping! XD For example, you could jump a wall at certain point... or even your tail... that would even work so once the tail has finished passing through, there would be some kind of tunnel left... heh.. a little exagerated perhaps? :P
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.