Netherforce [Editor Only]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
asmo
Greenskin

Netherforce [Editor Only]

Post by asmo »

We at Ambience Games have been working on a game called Netherforce for almost three months now, and we just thought we'll show you some screenshots from our editor. The game it self will probably be shown here in a month or so.

The GUI would probably have been done better using wxWidgets, but it's to late to change now.

Our engine uses a wide range of open source lib's along with Ogre, which will be discussed and credited when we release more information about the game. The add-on libraries that has been done around Ogre are in many cases very good, but a warning should be given that sometimes, rolling your own will save you time.

The aim of our Level Editor is to be able to design almost every aspect of a level, which we think we've managed quite well. Everything is scriptable with the help of, the somewhat bad chosen name, triggers which is shown on one of the screenshots below.

(click to enlarge images.)

This is the deform mode of the editor, which is used to deform the terrain (up/down and smooth)

The Pathfinding mode. Almost only used for debug, so we can see that the graph of a level is correctly generated. We save the graph, however, so we just load the already generated graph on the server when it's time to play.

The Paint mode, should be quite trivial to figure out what this does. Texture splatting.

The object mode is used for quite much. Static objects are placed, scaled rotated and configured to work with the physics (collision), but the big guys are triggers. Trigger are everything and nothing. They are there to be scripted, so they are used for soundsources, real 'trigger-points', spawn points.. etc.
Last edited by asmo on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ArchAnemone
Gnoblar

Post by ArchAnemone »

Looks great!

What is the premise behind the game?
redmonk
Kobold

Post by redmonk »

Very nice, hop to see more!
skullfire
Gremlin

Post by skullfire »

redmonk wrote:Very nice, hop to see more!
/me hops :lol:

Great screenshots man. What are you using to script the triggers with?
I may have alzheimer, but at least I dont have alzheimer.
asmo
Greenskin

Post by asmo »

Thank you all for you kind words (:

@ArchAnemone
Not sure what you are asking, but we will release more information about the game at a later stage.

@skullfire
We are using, heavily I might add, Lua to script alot of things in the game, including triggers. We have constructed, or are in the process of constructing, script API's for different parts and abstractions of the engine, which has been proven to be very helpfull. Especially for GUI and gameplay.
Last edited by asmo on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Wow! Looks cool! :)
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

nikki wrote:Wow! Looks cool! :)
Seconded!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Very inspirational! :)

Looks real good - I want to see the game when it's ready! :D

Consider making your own unique CEGUI skin. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
taftouf
Gnoblar

Post by taftouf »

nice work !
it reminds me about sandbox editor from crytek :lol:
asmo
Greenskin

Post by asmo »

jacmoe wrote:Very inspirational! :)

Looks real good - I want to see the game when it's ready! :D

Consider making your own unique CEGUI skin. :wink:
We have a real CEGUI skin for the actuall game, but as Taharez (who made the default TaharezLook skin for CEGUI) is on the team, the skin used in the editor is actually our own, too :p We are considering changing the skin for the editor, but it is not a priority right now. I can just mention that Taharaz is a hell of alot better coder than he is a CEGUI skinner. (:
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

How did you create the glow for the health-cross-like-green-marker-thing? Or are you running a bloom compositor? Because the tower in the first shot seems to blend slightly into the sky. Creates a cool (in the true sense of the word) effect.
asmo
Greenskin

Post by asmo »

nikki wrote:How did you create the glow for the health-cross-like-green-marker-thing? Or are you running a bloom compositor? Because the tower in the first shot seems to blend slightly into the sky. Creates a cool (in the true sense of the word) effect.
It is a bloom-like compositor effect. Not the one that comes with the Ogre SDK, however.

EDIT: The health-cross is a trigger between, not an in-game model (:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

asmo wrote:I can just mention that Taharaz is a hell of alot better coder than he is a CEGUI skinner. (:
:lol: I agree. But when Taharez made that skin, it was the best CEGUI skin available. And it still is the default. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
asmo
Greenskin

Post by asmo »

jacmoe wrote:
asmo wrote:I can just mention that Taharaz is a hell of alot better coder than he is a CEGUI skinner. (:
:lol: I agree. But when Taharez made that skin, it was the best CEGUI skin available. And it still is the default. :)
Indeed. The skin works very well for random use. I did not mean to drag it down (:
Taharez
Gnoblar

Post by Taharez »

Not to sidetrack too much, but I have a couple of other skins lying around that I've just not had the time to write proper imageset and looknfeel for. Though I'm sure you'll be plenty more impressed with our in-game gui skin, which was of course not made by me ;)

We'll probably get some nice in-game screenshots posted in a few weeks, along with more game details :)
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

Terrain, sky, trees and plants all look good already :)
Enough is never enough.
smernesto
Halfling

Post by smernesto »

Will you release the code or the binaries for that editor?
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Looks really great! Especially the bloom is very nice touch. :)
.: An Ogre game: Those Funny Funguloids! :.
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

Im sure this is similar what OpenFrag team want to do Image, i hope they will get some encouragement. Since now there is deformable terrain scene mgr.
Rhaythe
Halfling

Post by Rhaythe »

The visual style reminds me a lot of Savage: Battle for Newerth. And that's high praise. =)
"Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looking really nice, great work.
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Looks great. From what I can tell, you are using PLSM2 with that, correct? I'm sure people will want to know what scene manager is being used there.

@Taharez: :) No offense on all the flak your scheme receives. Its just cause EVERYONE uses it. I'm excited to see the new one.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
smernesto
Halfling

Post by smernesto »

I want tools like this for General purpose, that we can use in all our projects.

You will release it?
asmo
Greenskin

Post by asmo »

@Jerky
Yes, we are using PLSM2. The reason for why we diden't want to start a discussion about what add-ons we are using is becouse we've had so much problems with some of them that I don't want to encourage people to use those. If I had to chose again, we would have either rolled our own or waited for PLSM3 (which isen't really an alternative for us due to deadlines).

@smernesto
This is not a general purpose tool, thus it may be released but I doubt you can use it for anything else. It is designed to be used for our engine, but you could write your own loader and export your own things to lua (or any other scripting language), but in that case, writing your own tool would be quite trivial and not to time consuming.

Writing an editor with the support by your engine should be easy.
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

I'm wondering how you did shadows. is this a prerender lightmap or do you dynamically create shadows? if so what shadow method do you use? thanks