Simple Paged Terrain [v2.00 Released! Page 21]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Ok! Version 1 is released on CVS (will upload a copy in ZIP later).

Check the OgreAddons CVS access for "simplepagedterrain"

Read the doc folder to see how it's used.

I have to put this up and run, but feel free to throw questions here or complain if it doesn't work or something. I'll be back in a little while.

Have fun and good luck!
Lord LoriK
Goblin

Post by Lord LoriK »

I'm checking out... I'll cross my fingers!
tiainen
Gnoblar

Post by tiainen »

I could successfully build the lib and the demo after doing the following 2 minor thingies:

- i had to download libnoise (was no problem :))
- i had to change two lines of code because it didn't compile:
in Page.cpp i changed lines 358 and 359:

Code: Select all

<--	rTempFade = min(rTempFade,1.0);
<--	rTempFade = max(rTempFade,0.0);

-->	rTempFade = min(rTempFade,1.0f);
-->	rTempFade = max(rTempFade,0.0f);
Since rTempFade is a float and 1.0 is a double, it will take the std::min,std::max methods with three parameters, because float and double aren't comparable or something. So I just changed the 1.0 and 0.0 into a float.

After that it compiled and it ran without problems :). At the moment I'm trying to integrate the SimplePagedTerrain into my own project.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

*Doh* I KNEW there was something I forgot to include...

Also, I compiled Ogre with Double Precision, so that's probably why it went flaky on you - thanks for pointing that out.

I also think the old copy of the settings file is up there, so it doesn't do the shader stuff...

Anyways, first release, first usage of CVS server, kinda weird, so I'll get on that.

Edit: You know what? I really hate this CVS stuff. I hate TortoiseCVS most of all - fuck you turtle for messing with my context menu and giving me nothing back. I'm gonna just zip this stuff up from now on.
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

HexiDave wrote:*Doh* I KNEW there was something I forgot to include...

Also, I compiled Ogre with Double Precision, so that's probably why it went flaky on you - thanks for pointing that out.

I also think the old copy of the settings file is up there, so it doesn't do the shader stuff...

Anyways, first release, first usage of CVS server, kinda weird, so I'll get on that.

Edit: You know what? I really hate this CVS stuff. I hate TortoiseCVS most of all - fuck you turtle for messing with my context menu and giving me nothing back. I'm gonna just zip this stuff up from now on.
Hooray, I didn't want to fiddle with CVS anyways. Eagerly awaiting your ZIP release.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

ajs15822 wrote:
HexiDave wrote:*Doh* I KNEW there was something I forgot to include...

Hooray, I didn't want to fiddle with CVS anyways. Eagerly awaiting your ZIP release.

Ya I'll go do that now. I know CVS is sweet for big projects, but I really like doing big updates rather than fiddle with it a bit at a time.
tiainen
Gnoblar

Post by tiainen »

HexiDave wrote:Also, I compiled Ogre with Double Precision, so that's probably why it went flaky on you - thanks for pointing that out.
Ah, does it have any advantage to compile with double instead of float precision? Besides that I don't have to change your code then :).
HexiDave wrote:Anyways, first release, first usage of CVS server, kinda weird, so I'll get on that.

That's too bad, I really like CVS. But either way you provide new releases is ok with me, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

And thanks btw for this great stuff, I really like it :).
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

tiainen wrote:
HexiDave wrote:Also, I compiled Ogre with Double Precision, so that's probably why it went flaky on you - thanks for pointing that out.
Ah, does it have any advantage to compile with double instead of float precision? Besides that I don't have to change your code then :).
HexiDave wrote:Anyways, first release, first usage of CVS server, kinda weird, so I'll get on that.

That's too bad, I really like CVS. But either way you provide new releases is ok with me, whatever you feel most comfortable with.

And thanks btw for this great stuff, I really like it :).

Well this system really doesn't have a major difference, no - but I always use double precision because it's almost the exact same speed, but everything is more precise in any/all of my calculations.

Also, CVS is, like I said, awesome for a big project, but I don't think this will be getting nearly that size.

For comparison: it took me about 45 minutes to get setup with CVS and a while to upload everything because I had to copy/paste my password every 10 seconds to upload files. I just packaged and uploaded this Zip in about 2 minutes. Now I can just package the source code and any new media to have popped into the folder. Easy as cake.

Here's the zip:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/28/ ... errain.zip

EDIT: Grab this as well and extract into your SimplePagedTerrain folder - overwrite what's there. This has the missing textures and has the shader-based version of the terrain settings:
above.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/28/ ... ia_fix.zip

Just extract to your C:\ drive or whatever you want - all the paths should be relative. Make sure your environment variable $(OGRE_HOME) is set to your ogrenew directory or you'll get some funky problems. Libnoise is included in this release as well as a fix for the problem listed
Last edited by HexiDave on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

HexiDave wrote: ... I had to copy/paste my password every 10 seconds to upload files...
Hmm that dont sound right. There will be a solution to this Im sure.

Just to say, I hated CVS when I first started using it too. After a few weeks I didnt mind it, it all starts to click. When I decided to try Tortoise, it turned out to be a HUGE advantage over the nasty old cvs application I used to have to use.

Anyway, congrats on the release and good luck, I hope this project grows strong and healthy :)
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

I always hated TortoiseCVS, so I'll give it another go later with WinCVS - that always worked easily for me and MADE SENSE. And it didn't screw up my context menus everywhere - GOD I HATE THAT.

And thanks for the kind words - I hope this project gets pretty sturdy in the future - the editor system is what's going to make it rock.

EDIT: Added a media fix zip file so you can use the shader properly.
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

Well without the shader, your terrain freakin' rocks.

I pumped the demo up to 1680x1050 and was still cruising at ~130 FPS on my laptop! (nVidia GeForce 7200 Go 128mb)

Of course, with the shader I ran at 8 FPS (as expected). <-- Nevermind, see my below post, it now runs at ~80 FPS.

Next I'm going to dig my teeth into the source ;).
Last edited by ajs15822 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Well the shader uses normals, tangents and all sorts of those nifty lighting calculations, so.. ya it'll chew up your graphics card :) Not to mention that it builds a normal map, per page, so that's a good chunk of vid ram if your Pages are huge.
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

rofl, you silly goose.

Everyone, please edit your 'resource.cfg' to include "FileSystem=../../Media/textures".

I was wondering why the ogre.log ballooned to 22mb. (It wasn't so much the shader but all the 30,000 exceptions that was slowing me down earlier)

HexiDave, I LOVE your terrain now. At 1680x1050 with full shaders (and textures now!) it runs at ~80 FPS. You rock, hard. :D
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Damn, I need to start drinking - then I'll at least be able to say "Doh, I was drunk at the time" and get away with all these stupid mistakes...
deficite
Gremlin

Post by deficite »

ajs15822 wrote:rofl, you silly goose.

Everyone, please edit your 'resource.cfg' to include "FileSystem=../../Media/textures".

I was wondering why the ogre.log ballooned to 22mb. (It wasn't so much the shader but all the 30,000 exceptions that was slowing me down earlier)

HexiDave, I LOVE your terrain now. At 1680x1050 with full shaders (and textures now!) it runs at ~80 FPS. You rock, hard. :D
Thanks for mentioning this :D. First time I ran the demo I was like "lol, only 11fps?" and then I looked at my 18MB ogre.log and it was missing a bunch of textures and kept looking for them. After adding that line to my resource.cfg it shot up to 750+ FPS (sometimes over 800) on my X1950Pro, E4400, 2GB PC2-6400 system
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Your system is nice. I also hate you.
deficite
Gremlin

Post by deficite »

:lol: OGRE is one of the reasons I upgraded. My system before this had a GeForce FX5200, 768MB PC3200 (well, one stick was actually slower than that), and a Athlon XP 2000+. It was well past time for me to upgrade. Oh, and ZipZoomFly had the X1950Pro for $127, so I naturally snagged one of those, even though I'm actually an nVidia guy.

Oh, and BTW, great job on this thing. I was not expecting my framerate to be that high. I can still get around 400FPS if I turn the settings on my graphics card up (16x HQ Anisotropic, 6x Adaptive Antialiasing, 1440x900, etc.). You did a wonderful job with this speedwise. I was blown away.

I have a question about the fading. The terrain fades in when I first run the demo and the first bits of terrain come into view, but when I fly around after that the terrain just pops in without fading. What's the status on that?
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

That's probably wrap-around - I haven't gotten the wrap-fade stuff (and I turned off the fade-out for destruction) in yet, but it's coming.

I found a nice sparkly water shader and a sky shader (with clouds!) that I adapted and will be working into Ogre this morning, so I'm probably going to pop those in with JohnJ's PagedGeometry to get a nice *drops jaw* effect going. I might try integrating Preetham's (probably spelled that wrong) atmospheric shader from ATI/AMD for fun.

Note: these are NOT going to be part of the lib, just little extras to toss in for fun.
REiNDEeR
Greenskin

Post by REiNDEeR »

Wow nice work, amazing how much it improved since the first (pre-alpha? :)) release.
On my overaged pc(Athlon XP1600, FX 5200) it runs at 50-60fps with the default settings. Think im gonna buy a new pc tho, I simply cant play the newest games anymore :)

I do see the fading when I move around, I guess its harder to see when your far away from loading page.
ghint
Gnoblar

SRTM height data

Post by ghint »

Hi there

Any idea if it would be possible to feed SRTM heightdata to simplepagedterrain to re-create Earth? Kind of like X-Plane...

Cheers,
Filipe
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

HexiDave wrote:Edit: You know what? I really hate this CVS stuff. I hate TortoiseCVS most of all - fuck you turtle for messing with my context menu and giving me nothing back. I'm gonna just zip this stuff up from now on.
Haha! :)

You will learn to love CVS when you learn how to use it.
You need to generate a private/public key pair with Pageant - upload your public key to SourceForge and edit your personal SF settings to use that key.
Then, you just run Pageant and right-click the Pageant tray icon to "Add key", browse to your locally stored private key, enter the password, and leave it running.
No more zillions of password boxes. :wink:

Really looking forward to goof around with the new code! :D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: SRTM height data

Post by HexiDave »

ghint wrote:Hi there

Any idea if it would be possible to feed SRTM heightdata to simplepagedterrain to re-create Earth? Kind of like X-Plane...

Cheers,
Filipe
I haven't expanded on how to do this yet, but you can feed your own heightmaps to the system and, as long as you're feeding it the heightmap correctly, it'll do the rest of the work.

I'll be explaining in gruesome detail how to use the TerrainListener later on, so check back in a week and I'll probably have a good example of how to do this.

jacmoe: I got the SF.net part working - it WAS uploading parts, but TortoiseCVS was just acting so strange (I hated it for downloading, so this wasn't much improvement.) I'm gonna try it again later with WinCVS and see how that goes as that's always been cake for me to use - I just followed the OgreAddons developers guide over in the Help section and.. didn't work.
ghint
Gnoblar

Re: SRTM height data

Post by ghint »

HexiDave wrote: I haven't expanded on how to do this yet, but you can feed your own heightmaps to the system and, as long as you're feeding it the heightmap correctly, it'll do the rest of the work.

I'll be explaining in gruesome detail how to use the TerrainListener later on, so check back in a week and I'll probably have a good example of how to do this.
That's super! I'll proceed with integration (got 3 switchable setups with generic terrain, plsm2 and your module) and check back later on. I wasn't very specific but the reason for my question was how one could avoid polar zone problems where a tile may actually be a triangle (ie, distance between horizontal vertexes isn't fixed and can decrease or decrease near poles to a point (pole) where one of the sides is fully compressed to a single vertex).

Looking forward to seeing your stuff :)

Cheers,

Filipe
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Ah, if you're talking about setting up a spherical model, go search for OgrePlanet, another one of my projects (not finished, though) that does spherical LOD. There's a good bit of info there on the subject, anyways.
ghint
Gnoblar

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post by ghint »

HexiDave wrote:Ah, if you're talking about setting up a spherical model, go search for OgrePlanet, another one of my projects (not finished, though) that does spherical LOD. There's a good bit of info there on the subject, anyways.
LLLOOOLL that was precisely where i came from. I got the impression that THIS project was the technology used on OgrePlanet.

Will look into it