First showing - the new Portal Connected Zone Scene Manager

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looking really good.

Bear in mind I have a personal interest in using this at some point in the future, so provided it turns out well (and it's looking that way) I'll make sure it survives the 2.0 transition, whenever that happens.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

You know, I've always kind of thought of myself as just a "lone ranger" type of guy who just did things to make myself happy, but I have to admit, a couple of "slaps on the back" for encouragement really does help. Thanks everyone.

Chaster
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

well the video shows awesome potential :). I too have been watching the thread for a couple of months, was surprised when I looked at the early posts and saw how old it was.

It's really nice that you have made so much progress and look well on the way to achieving your goals :D
Ajare
Goblin

Post by Ajare »

Damn you, I'm going to have to scrap my current project and start a new one using this scene manager now!

Would you like an, ahem, better scene to show it off? This has got to be worthy of an official Ogre demo, and I still have to fulfil my promise to improve the demo art work.

edit: had a brainlapse and forgot I'm away fom my machine for some time, but the offer stands if you don't mind waiting a little.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Hey Chaster,

I'm just adding my voice to the chorus of "WooHoos!" :D

This SceneManager patches up one of the most serious remaining issues facing Ogre game development. Sinbad made a great call using a plug-in scene manager scheme, and it's totally cool that you're building on that to make Ogre better for everyone.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

Ajare wrote:Damn you, I'm going to have to scrap my current project and start a new one using this scene manager now!

Would you like an, ahem, better scene to show it off? This has got to be worthy of an official Ogre demo, and I still have to fulfil my promise to improve the demo art work.

edit: had a brainlapse and forgot I'm away fom my machine for some time, but the offer stands if you don't mind waiting a little.
Seriously? I will take you up on that offer! The only artist I currently have available to me who will do "free" artwork isn't really available until sometime in September. If you are willing to produce some free artwork, I am more than happy to put it in the demo.

E-mail me direct (ericcATxenopiDOTcom).

Chaster
q2dm1
Gnoblar

Post by q2dm1 »

Hey folks,

This is the first time I really take the step and try an engine I haven't written myself :) - I have to admit tough that I wouldn't probably have given Ogre much tought if it weren't for this new scene manager you're writing. I considered coding one myself, but one of the reasons for me to look for a 3rd party engine was that I didn't really want to reinvent the wheel once again and reimplement "basic" stuff like that.

Anyways, there's one issue which IMO hasn't been discussed thoroughly yet - I hope I haven't overlooked that in the discussion thread - and this is the actual asset creation.

From my understanding your zones don't really have a geometrical representation, they just hold a list of references to objects contained in them.

Now, if you create a given map you set your portals to whatever locations you choose; I assume those are created in 3d max or Maya or whatever and then exported to whatever world format Ogre uses. Two questions:

1. How does one create a relation between world geometry and zones?
2. How do you assign a portal to a zone?

Now if one just relies on some hierarchical textual represantation, for example tagging every world object with the name of the zone it belongs to I can assure you this is VERY counterproductive. Having designed some (incomplete) maps myself, I'm used to just having a graphical representation of my zones and portals and leave the rest to the engine (or an exporter).

The best way (IMO) to do this is to use a subtractive CSG editor (much like Unreal's), I even imlpemented portal support in Q3Radiant so it's more intuitive for the artists I was working with back then.

I know this might sound a bit unrelated :) (and there's a good chance I miss something), but I think you really should consider adding some convex bounds to your zones... The SM can then automatically assign any world geometry to the aproppriate zone.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

Q2DM1 (nice nick by the way...) to answer your questions:

1) The creation of the scenes (zones, portals, geometry) is up to the application, not the scene manager. Consequently, there could be an infinite number of ways for an application to get data into the scene. I have my own ideas for my own application, but it's for my use.

2) Most of your questions have to do with art pipeline (in particular, level editing). That's kind of outside of the SM. The SM has very easy to use calls to create zones, define portals, and place geometry/entities/etc. in the proper zones. It's up to the app to decide how to get that information from the artists/level designers.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Chaster
q2dm1
Gnoblar

Post by q2dm1 »

Yeah, I kinda suspected this... Thinking about it, it seems logical to have a clean nice interface and have the application feed it with whatever it decides.

I guess when your SM matures a bit and the Ogre people decide to integrate it as an inherent part of the engine time will be right to think about a standardized map format.

I don't want to push you, but I'm wondering if there's any chance of "pre-releasing" the source, so people who are merely interested in the provided API (like me) and don't really need a clean, well commented :) codebase can start thinking about ways of integrating it into existing toolchains... It doesn't matter if the light code (or whatever) is broken as long as it correctly computes the zone visibility.
Last edited by q2dm1 on Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov »

Hey!!

I liked a lot! very nice!
Gnoblar

Post by rojaro »

I want it :)
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

q2dm1 wrote: I don't want to push you, but I'm wondering if there's any chance of "pre-releasing" the source, so people who are merely interested in the provided API (like me) and don't really need a clean, well commented :) codebase can start thinking about ways of integrating it into existing toolchains... It doesn't matter if the light code (or whatever) is broken as long as it correctly computes the zone visibility.
Soon. I will most likely post a ZIP file instead of sourceforging it. Once it reaches a *relatively* stable point, I will switch it over to Ogre addons hosting/source control...
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

Announcement : I will be releasing the "Pre-alpha" version of this scene manager (along with simple demo) within 24 hours.

Watch this thread (http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6658) for more information.

Chaster
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Nice!
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

*squeals like a schoolgirl* this is fantastic!

*applauds*
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
Walley
Greenskin

Post by Walley »

Nice to see good progress in this area, great work :).
Zeal
Ogre Magi

Post by Zeal »

Nice work my friend. People like you make me proud to be an Ogre user.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

It just occurred to me, after reading my last post, that it could be misinterpreted to say "watch THIS thread (the Showcase thread) for announcement".

What I meant was, watch the thread in the Developer's forum for more announcements.

I released the pre-alpha of the PCZSM today. Go to the other thread for details.

Chaster
tau
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by tau »

Awesome job, Chaster! It already looks quite "feature rich".

I have a question, I'm not very gfx savvy, so plz bear with me ;)
When the manager switches between scenes (terrain, room), what kind of algorithm is used to render the room, is it BSP, or octree?
Twitter: Tau Powered
deficite
Gremlin

Post by deficite »

Is anybody planning on making this available to python users (via swig or whatever)?
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

tau wrote:Awesome job, Chaster! It already looks quite "feature rich".

I have a question, I'm not very gfx savvy, so plz bear with me ;)
When the manager switches between scenes (terrain, room), what kind of algorithm is used to render the room, is it BSP, or octree?
Well, in the test scene, the interior rooms are just rendered using the "default" method which is brute force. The rooms are quite small, so it makes sense in this scene. Of course, you can make a room using octree, but that would probably actually slow down the rendering of this scene since the rooms are just single meshes with but a few dozen polys.

There are currently 3 types of zone available:

Default (flat hierarchy)
Octree
Terrain (same algorithm as TerrainSM).

I have not implemented BSP since I believe that the Default zone implementation for multiple rooms connected by portals will actually be faster than a BSP on modern GPU's.

Chaster
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Did you test against the DotSceneOctree scene manager? :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Chaster
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Chaster »

jacmoe wrote:Did you test against the DotSceneOctree scene manager? :)
Nope. I don't have an artist on hand to help me so I had to make all the data by myself (and I don't know any of the major 3d packages) so I used ManualObject (gah!)... Please, feel free to test & compare with the other scene managers (and report the results!)

Chaster