free 3d models for games UPDATED; 10/11/07

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
irishlostboy
Halfling

free 3d models for games UPDATED; 10/11/07

Post by irishlostboy »

hi all. i cant program at all, and that seems to be the main thing here at ogre. i have downloaded ogre, and wouldn't know where to begin. anyway, my thing is the art end of it, which seems to be a bit lacking here, so i thought i would point the way over to the small library of free 3d models and textures for games i am putting out. models are in general .MAX format, but most also have .OBJ versions in their packs. textures are in general .TGA, but some also have .DDS format there too. most models have diffuse, specular, normal etc, maps. a few have only diffuse, as they were originaly intended for unreal2004, which doesn't support normal.
anyway main link to the page of stuff is here
>>>> http://www.sharecg.com/pf/irishlostboy <<<<<

the links to individual files are below >>>

http://www.sharecg.com/v/4078/3d-model/light-model-pack

the lights were done for an unreal 2004 map i had to do for college. but someone here might find them useful.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/4038/3d-model/ ... affic-cone

the barrel and cone may also be useful. i did them ages ago, so am not too sure.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/4033/3d-model/ ... ree-models

i like these trees. i did these because my 3d teacher said trees were a good challenge.

3 new models. a cable spindle, a wood box and an old shelf.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/4079/3d-model/ ... (3-models)

a "breakable" pallet model.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/4526/3d-model/breakable-pallet

ILB_texPak01
-------------------
Hype.
73 FREE “next-genâ€
Last edited by irishlostboy on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Thankyou. But you should really provide them in an Ogre MESH format, so we can use them out of the box, without converting them ourselves.

Details about the various 3D modeller exporters are in the Wiki. ;)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I don't know. If they are provided in source format, we can alter them ourselves.
Which is great.
Maybe both?

Looks great! Thanks for sharing this! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Thanks a lot! You've got a lot of usually used objects in there. Barrels and cones are used a lot in physics demos.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

nikki wrote:Thanks a lot! You've got a lot of usually used objects in there. Barrels and cones are used a lot in physics demos.
so far, i release everything i can in .MAX and .OBJ. .MAX because that is what i work in, .OBJ, because it is the most commonly importable format. i dont release in particular engine formats because every engine supports a differant format and i dont want to exclude anyone using doom3, or source, or unreal, etc. i will look into the standard ogre format, and maybe in a while, if someone would like to help out with the code end of things, we could gather all the models i will have made, and release a large "plug in" style model and texture pack, allowing people to just drop a folder into there engine, and access the models in-engine, if that is possible. we will see how things go.
i will be steadily updating my library of models and textures on sharecg, so it will be worth keeping your eye on every few weeks, just in case i cant get back to update this thread. it would be neat if people could get the breakable pallet working. no one on the doom3 engine (the one i tend to muck about with) has figured it out yet, but is something i always felt lent itself to game play. breakable, movable, etc.. i love it.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

You just need to install an exporter for MAX and save them as Mesh as well.

Think that not anyone can afford MAX, and most people don't have the time to code their own converters, so, however you're providing the original meshes, they're less useful here if you only provide those formats.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Does the 3ds2mesh converter still work? If so, saving to .3ds might be an alternative.

I mean really, folks, the guy is offering source art for free -- I see people complaining about the quality of the caviar here, as Jacmoe might put it. ;) If need be, I'll export the stuff to .mesh myself if it will make everyone happy. :P
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Yep, anything made freely available is appreciated in any format. We only insist on direct Ogre support if people are advertising paid work, to stop this becoming a free advertising service for all and sundry.

Have you considered joining forces with the Low Poly Cooperative? http://www.lowpolycoop.com/
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Wow, thanks for the textures! They will come in very handy...
Murmandamus
Halfling

Post by Murmandamus »

Looks like you have some cool stuff in there, irishlostboy, thanks!
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

sinbad wrote:Yep, anything made freely available is appreciated in any format. We only insist on direct Ogre support if people are advertising paid work, to stop this becoming a free advertising service for all and sundry.

Have you considered joining forces with the Low Poly Cooperative? http://www.lowpolycoop.com/
sinbad. i am not advertising "paid" work. i am advertising "free" work. will look into lowpolycoop. never come across them before. thanks.

others. the models are in .MAX and .OBJ, so can be formatted to suit ogre engine, or any engine, from within any 3d app . i will not be formatting to anyones perticular engine on my own, as; 1. the perticular format that an engine takes is not the only issue, there is also the perticular scale that any game is done in. 2. i dont want to use up modeling time playing "favourites" with any engines.
like i have said on every other games forum where people want things to be in this or that perticular format for their favourite engine, i would be happy to do a format specific "super-pack" of my current models, if someone else knowledgable in the format limitations, and with the ability to script the material files, and create the .def files (or what ever their engine equivalents are that specify physics and behaviour ) were to volounteer their sevices. i would not agree to a format specific release of assets unless the release was fully functional within the chosen engine. mainly because it would be boring putting in the extra work for something that still needs more work to make functional.

to those who have downloaded and are getting good and fair use from these models, thank you for doing so, and thank you for your kind words. there will be more models soon. lots more. :)
our current pc game in development: http://archangel-studio.blogspot.com/
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

irishlostboy wrote:
sinbad wrote:Yep, anything made freely available is appreciated in any format. We only insist on direct Ogre support if people are advertising paid work, to stop this becoming a free advertising service for all and sundry.

sinbad. i am not advertising "paid" work. i am advertising "free" work.
Right, he knows that -- he was pointing it out to those in the thread that may have missed that point.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Julius
Kobold

Post by Julius »

Nice work!

Would you consider releasing it under a standardised (=Creative commons) license instead, so that it can be compatible to free software projects?

See our license page (FreeGameArts):
http://freegamearts.myexp.de/licenses.html

For an overview of licenses we advise to use.

Thx
FreeGameArts<-back online!
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

Julius wrote:Nice work!

Would you consider releasing it under a standardised (=Creative commons) license instead, so that it can be compatible to free software projects?

See our license page (FreeGameArts):
http://freegamearts.myexp.de/licenses.html

For an overview of licenses we advise to use.

Thx
i will have to do a bit of research into the various natures of CC licensing. i dont know much about them, and until now have just supplied a basic terms and conditions list as default, just to cover my ass in the off chance someone want to cut me out of the loop where money and/or credit is in the running.
ultimately, i cant see how the current arangment prohibits the models use in free games development. perhaps you could point out to me how this is?

and for people desiring my work for comercial (but not exclusive, obviously) use, i am approachable.
i have no interest in releasing pure open source. i have no intention to have my work altered, and used as the basis for something else entirely. call me hypersensitive if you will, but i do care about the end result of anything my work is part of, and try and keep as high a standard as possible. (dont wanna see done ass-ways model monster in some game somewhere with my traffic cone built into his head!!! :lol: )

i will look into the creative commons options later on, and see if i can see the advantages and dissadvantages. pretty pushed for time though, so if anyone can give a quick and simple breakdown of "why" i should change default licencing, i would be greatful.
i am BEYOND over extended timewise at the moment.
thanks
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

irishlostboy wrote: ultimately, i cant see how the current arangment prohibits the models use in free games development. perhaps you could point out to me how this is?
thanks
irishlostboy wrote: Licence.

All textures are free for non-commercial use only.
Please credit me if used.
Contact me with problems comments and suggestions;
archangelstudio@gmail.com
thanks. Irishlostboy. thanks
Well, I see 3 issues ... 1 is that that open source doesn't necessarily mean 'non-commercial'. Ogre3D is a great example of that. You don't seem to have a problem with this, as you are specifically releasing these for non-commercial use, but some projects basically need to provide a default art set (a game framework, for example) and it becomes quite a hassle to make it clear what artwork is free to use and what isn't.

The second issue is that while very permissive, your license is not one of the standard licenses. It's a lot easier to deal with licensing issues if every piece of artwork doesn't have a different license. it can become overwhelming quite quickly.

The third issue is that you provide no option to modify the textures/meshes, and have even stated that you don't want to see them modified. I can't imagine making a game and not needing to modify at least some of those textures to suit the game's needs. If something custom is needed, they would have to discontinue use of your texture and attempt to create one that does the job and still matches the feel of your other textures. Not easy.

Also, I see the license for textures, but not the one for Meshes.

I don't want it to seem like I'm coming down hard on you. I don't disapprove of the stance you've taken, I am merely explaining the difficulties people may see.

Your work is very high-quality (the spools really look nice, in particular) and you've done a great thing for the gaming community by releasing this.

If I ever get off my lazy butt, I will probably use some of your work in a free game, myself.
Julius
Kobold

Post by Julius »

Thanks for explaining it so I don't need to do it ;)

I also like to link to this article on why you should allow commercial use:
http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses/NC
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Ooh, nice link. I just skimmed most of it, but I did catch one thing I hadn't thought of:

You can't even put advertising on your website if there's any artwork on it that is licensing non-commercial. (Unless you get specific permission, of course.) Many small projects rely on advertising to offset the bandwidth costs.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

Aladrin wrote: (Unless you get specific permission, of course.)
this is mostly the point. if someone wants to use my work by licence, i would prefer to do it by being contacted, instead of just throwing my work out for anyone to do as they like with. mainly so i can see what they are doing with it, so i can include their uses within my showreel. it is no use me saying "i put out loads of cool free stuff, it has had loads of downloads, and people are happy with it", in a showreel. i need to be able to say, "my work was used in these games, and these mods", and be able to show it.

i will look into the link on putting my work out for comercial, but i am very sceptical. i downloaded the page to read later. (no broadband, have to use another machine which is not mine for net)

anyway, really thanks for taking an interest in helping me understand about licencing a bit more. i admit i have not put much effort into it so far, as i really didn't expect it to matter so much.

on the subject of my work being modified for use in games, and being used in "middleware" type stuff. no way. that is totally not what it is for. want it modified, ask. i will probably do it for you if i like your work so far. i will probably give permission unless someone is tryin to pull the piss.
and as for, my work being used as part of a "middleware" style release, it was not intended for that at all, and before i give release for that kind of thing i will want to know how they will be redistributed, and what kind of licencing is agreed by the END USERS. the point being, it is no good, my credit going in a dev kit, if it is not included as asset creator in the end product.

anyway, thanks. now i think i need to study up a bit on licensing my self.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

You seem to know exactly where you were going with the license, so I'd just like to reiterate one point: Please choose an existing license, even if you choose a non-commercial one.

It makes understanding the license and coordinating with all other parts of the project a -lot- easier for everyone involved.

Oh, and in case we didn't make it clear: Everyone really appreciates the release of these assets for use in free projects.

One of the hardest things so far for me has been finding anything to just get started with. I'm not an artist and don't have the time to become one. Finding enough art assets to just make a quick mock-up world (that I can legally redistribute) has been rough. Yours will be a huge help. Thanks!
Julius
Kobold

Post by Julius »

Besides.. it's always a thrill to see ones own artwork in a game totally unexpected :p

But yeah, regardless of the license: thanks a lot for releasing your art for free.
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

Aladrin wrote: Finding enough art assets to just make a quick mock-up world (that I can legally redistribute) has been rough. Yours will be a huge help. Thanks!
a quick mock up?!? my work is better than that! :evil:
lol. what ever you make, make it beautiful. making anything ugly is a sin.
(note; beautiful = harmonious design. ugly = poor discordant design. for me, beauty can be a rusty bean tin. its all in application)
anyway, i would like to see any of your "mock-ups". good luck with them.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

irishlostboy wrote:a quick mock up?!? my work is better than that! :evil:
lol. what ever you make, make it beautiful. making anything ugly is a sin.
Aladrin is not the best of diplomats. :lol:

I really like your work! And kudos to you for sharing it.
You seem to be quite clear about how you want to share them.

Why not visit the Creative Commons?

This is their Choosing a License page.

And this is their interactive license generator:
http://creativecommons.org/license/

You build your own license by answering a few questions.

From what you've said, you've chosen a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

jacmoe wrote: Aladrin is not the best of diplomats. :lol:
An understatement, if I've ever heard one. ;)

Lemme try that again:

Finding even the most basic free art to build even the most basic of apps is near impossible. Your ultra-high-quality art is a huge help from any endeavor from a basic mock-up to a full-fledged game.

Better? ;) (That's not sarcasm, that's what I -thought- I was saying the first time, but it obviously didn't come out like that.)
irishlostboy
Halfling

Post by irishlostboy »

aldrin, i was only messing :) i have a very un-subtle sense of humour.

i am taking on board the advice here, and adopting a creative commons licence for my next release. all previous releases will be considered under the same licence. will release the next load of models shortly(day or two), and look forward to seeing if the release type is suitable. thanks all for your help so far. i look forward to seeing what use you put these models to. :)
irishlostboy
Halfling

Re: free 3d models for games UPDATED; 17/06/07

Post by irishlostboy »

two more models added to the free model list. an exploding barrel, and a breakable grate. see the bottom of the main post for pics and links.
hope these are useful.