LashkarDemo2: 6 Vehicles

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
ahmedali
Gnome

LashkarDemo2: 6 Vehicles

Post by ahmedali »

This project was done for Softec2007 exhibition in 1.5 months, I droped the idea of integrating OpenSteer this time (had no time for it). Nothing interesting about this demo, this was a waste of time but anyhow just wanna share in exhibition to give awareness to public about game development.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Please read the README FIRST.txt file

I barely got 20 fps on my Intel945g so I have no idea how it will work on other faster graphics cards. So you can edit the OgreOde stepper paremeeters in an .ini file. See Readme.txt for more info and controls.

Input Controls
You can also plugin a Ps2 controller for analog controls of all vehicles.

I could imlement a simple use Key for entering/exiting vehicle but was just being lazy.

Code: Select all

WASD            Camera Controls
PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN Camera Up/Down
MOUSE MOVE      Camera Controls, Tank Aim.
SHIFT           Camera Speed 20x
LEFT-CONTROL    Camera Speed 150x

F5		3rdPerson camera
F6		3rdPerson camera, free orbit
F7		Fixed Camera, Track 

TAB             Cycle next nearest Target or Vehicle
INSERT          Enter Targeted Vehicle
DELETE          Exit Vehicle

SPACE           Tank & JetFighter: Fire at target
LEFT MOUSE      Tank: Fire at target
MOUSE MOVE      Tank: Move turret 
NUMPAD-KEYS     Controls all Vehicles
NUMPAD "0"      Car/Rikhshaw Handbrakes, for skidding too.
+/-		Helicopter: altitude

F2              Show/Hide on screen captions
F3              Show/Hide object selectors
F4              Show/Hide BetaCairo 2D Radar

Ok I havent tested this on any machine and it took 5 hours to upload from my mobile connection... The car behaviour is not realistic at all but its stable than most Car Physics sims you see every day, you can also do skidding. Derived from carworld.sourceforge.net. Other vehicle physics are barely realistic, but I like to use different approaches for eperimentation purpose. About physics, the goal was to fake real but control simple. OgreOde had a problem with large scale terrain so I used a simple spring for tank & boat.

DOWNLOAD ( NOT a direct link) 20 MB zip
http://prdownload.berlios.de/lashkar/La ... otypeB.zip
Please report any problem, so i can do something about it.

SOURCE
TODO: refactoring, removing junk, borring stuff, will take a few days.

DISCLIAMER
Almost all the models & sounds are downloaded from free sites. Except I grinded them to reduce polygons to 15% of originals and added GI baked textures.

FUTURE WORK
Im a student of commerce, now going to do Masters in Business, Im a seasonal programmer, I planned to make a C&C Tiberium+Mechwarrior non-multiplayer game years ago when I was a noob. Now I have some prelimnery success on Farcry like editor, steering behaviours, pathfinding, general & highlevel ai components, component based object system, lua scripting etc. After working & researching in different areas im finally working to create an integrated project to make my dreams come true. So as I progress I learn more, but im almost out of time and resources, and have obligations to my family and alien education. Dispite all odds Im very persistant on this.
capture
Goblin

nice

Post by capture »

So as I progress I learn more, but im almost out of time and resources, and have obligations to my family and alien education. Dispite all odds Im very persistant on this
Nicely said.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

You wrote that and can control all those different vehicles in 1.5 months? Very nice! I'm looking forward to trying this when I get home, if I can get my desk finished setting up.

BTW, someone else on this forum found out that not all PS2 adapters map the buttons the same way. I'm not sure how dependent you are on the buttons, but you may get complaints that some things are odd with that.
lalle_calle
Gnoblar

Post by lalle_calle »

it's quite fun to just fly around and explore.
and nice music even though i don't understand Arabic :P or what it now was
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

Thanks guys for the comments.
nice music even though i don't understand Arabic or what it now was
Its Urdu/Hindi not Arabic.
ImpScary
Gnoblar

Post by ImpScary »

Very nice demo.
But I got some strange behavior with the boat. When I try to move backwards it flies up into the air, at about 1000 km/h, and at the same time nearby Russian Tank starts flying too :).

EDIT: Tried it some more, car physics and artwork are just great!
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

yes i have the same problem

also the helicopter doesnt go up?

very interesting ^^