The Salvation Prophecy

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

The Salvation Prophecy

Post by Jabberwocky »

Hey there Ogre folks,

I'm working on a little single player space game, using our favorite object-oriented graphics rendering engine. It's called "The Salvation Prophecy". I'm in deep enough now that I have a few screenshots ready:

I just finished my website today. All systems are go (hopefullY) at:
http://www.salvationprophecy.com
[edit - we're experiencing technical difficulties with this website, Houston!]
[another edit - website should be working now, or over the next day or so as the DNS propagates]

I'll be maintaining a dev blog there, and adding more screenshots as I go along.

If you drop by, feel free to make a quick post on the forums. I'm trying to kick-start a bit of forum activity, and I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks to Sinbad and the Ogre community for such excellent work.

-Jabberwocky.
Last edited by Jabberwocky on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Right on -- big walking gun robots, I like. :)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Wow! That looks really cool.

Did you do it all by yourself? Or do you have a team? Also, it might just be my bad internet connection (I'm on a vacation, and the internet here is bad), but the website doesn't work for me.

Nice project. Best of luck. Hope it gets done soon! :)
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

nikki wrote: Did you do it all by yourself? Or do you have a team?
I'm going at it solo, although I'm paying for a lot of the artwork.
nikki wrote: Also, it might just be my bad internet connection (I'm on a vacation, and the internet here is bad), but the website doesn't work for me.
Yikes! Hopefully it's just your connection, although maybe the site name hasn't propagated through DNS land properly yet? Can anyone else get to the website? This internet thing is complicated. ;)
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

doesn't look like the DNS has made it my way yet, I get a generic portal site.
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Ok thanks. I jumped the gun on posting the URL I guess.
dstrek
Kobold

Post by dstrek »

Yeah portal site for me too. Looks great from those shots though!
celic
Gnome

Post by celic »

Looks very good! :-)
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Mechanised sweetness! :D
chmod
Greenskin

Post by chmod »

Really nice job! Are those skydome/boxes commissioned work, or did you find them stock?
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Wow, that looks ace. I see you have terrain and space scenes - how do you handle the transition from the two?
Lino
Gnoblar

Post by Lino »

I like the style. Looks awesome!
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

Post by leonardoaraujo.santos »

Really nice screenshot congratulation.

Where I can download the demo (The www.salvationprophecy.com page is down)
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

SpannerMan wrote: I see you have terrain and space scenes - how do you handle the transition from the two?
I'm using a very hi-fi technique called "fade out, fade in" ;)

I'm using separate scene managers for the two, so at this point I'm not trying to make it seamless. We'll see - maybe between Shoggoth and HexiDave's OgrePlanet, it could be made seamless more easily. But I'll wait until that tech settles before I cut myself on the bleeding edge. Since I'm the only one working on this, I'm trying to stick with fairly straight forward and established tech.
chmod wrote: Are those skydome/boxes commissioned work, or did you find them stock?
One of those screenshots is using a stock ogre skybox, "Examples/EveningSkyBox". The rest are commissioned.
leonardoaraujo.santos wrote: Where I can download the demo (The www.salvationprophecy.com page is down)
I'm really just in the beginning stages of building this thing. It's good to hear you want to play it, though. :) I'll update my progress on my website, and probably drop an occasional post here.

I've fixed the DNS problem, so the website availability should start creeping its way across the net over the next day or two. It has a lot more info. When a demo is available, I'll link it up there.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

I saw one of the screenshots shows the robot walking across a land bridge. Is the bridge a separate mesh from the terrain? Are you using any libs for collision and/or physics, or do you handle it yourself?
Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov »

Hello

There is something that really calls my attention with these graphics.

Interesting shots, may be is the illumination.... may be not..

Very nice looking anyway. (a video would be apreciated)

bye bye
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

KungFooMasta wrote:I saw one of the screenshots shows the robot walking across a land bridge. Is the bridge a separate mesh from the terrain? Are you using any libs for collision and/or physics, or do you handle it yourself?
Cool, that screenshot is on the website. You managed to navagate there, then?

I'm finding physics one of the most complicated parts of the game to program. Maybe because this is the first time I've handled physics myself.

I'm using PhysX for collision/physics. I'm also using the Scythe editor to make physics collision meshes for my game objects.

(edit - oops forgot to answer your other question)
Yeah, the land bridge is a separate mesh from the terrain.
Paulov wrote:Very nice looking anyway. (a video would be apreciated)
Hmm, I wonder if my poor old Radeon9700 could handle running the game with video capture. I'll look into it. There are some gameplay elements I want to finish up first tho. I have basic combat working, but it needs to get a lot better, particularly the enemy AI. They're "chase, aim, and fire" right now, and tend not to notice if, say, they're running directly into a rock. :)
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

Ambitious project for one person. But you seem confident if you are buying art for it. Screenshots look good and from one I can guess you have some kind of space combat already working(?) :)

It would be nice though if one could comment on your blog without having to register. Lowers the barrier to write something a lot.
Enough is never enough.
Bren
Goblin

Post by Bren »

Looking good man. Best of luck!
big_o
Goblin

Post by big_o »

Looks very cool!

Is the space station in the last image an actual part of the scene?
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

jjp wrote:Ambitious project for one person.
Did I mention it's an MMO? Just kidding ;)
jjp wrote:Screenshots look good and from one I can guess you have some kind of space combat already working(?) :)
Yep. I've fleshed out a lot of the basic systems, but I've got a while to go before it's good combat.
jjp wrote:It would be nice though if one could comment on your blog without having to register. Lowers the barrier to write something a lot.
You know what? You're totally right on that. Anonymous posting is now allowed. I changed the registration to no longer require an email, too. What do I care if someone lies about their email? As long as I don't start getting spammed, no worries.
jjp wrote:Is the space station in the last image an actual part of the scene?
Yeah, the space station is real. It even rotates... very... slowly... How action packed is that! :shock:
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Interesting looking game. I'm a big fan of mech like games and space games. I'm curious though, what kind of game is it? Do you walk around and fly around in a robot only? Or will there be space craft for space battles?

Is there any chance of multiplayer battles (I know you say single player), as multiplayer battle games are a heck of a lotta fun.. I'm not talking MMO or anything, just a few people in a small game map duke'n it out ;)

Looks really good so far :)
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

pjcast wrote:what kind of game is it? Do you walk around and fly around in a robot only? Or will there be space craft for space battles?
Good question! I think I'll make a blog entry about it. I'll copy the blog below so you don't have to navigate to my site. Although there is a bit more info there, including a Game Synopsis.
Hopefully that link is working for you. If not, try back later - it's taking a while for the DNS propagation.

Ok, about the game:

I'm planning on removing all combat from the game. You will wander the universe as a peace-loving mech warrior on a mission of interstellar peace. The object of the game will be to bring gifts of goodwill, such as flowers and cookies to alien species, and to lecture them on the virtues of peace and tranquility among all the universe's children.

Ok, I'm totally joking. :lol:

The major activities planned so far are:
* making money: bounties, pirateer, trade, ...
* advancing your ship (ship components) and your avatar (skills).
* space combat, large and small battles.
* planet combat
* waging war on enemy factions
* exploring new galaxies and planets
* building planetary outposts and space fleets

Most of the action will be a 3rd person perspective of your ship (in space) or your mech/vehicle (on planets). The other AI characters in your fleet/outpost/faction will be mostly autonomous - i.e. they make decisions by themselves, rather than needing commands from you.

I'd also really like to add space station interiors, but I haven't done any work on that yet at all.

There are a few other features/activities I'd like to add, but that'll have to wait until after I successfully clone myself 50 times in order to get my current list of work done.

If you're old enough to have played the space game "Elite", that was one of my favorite games as a kid. In a lot of ways, it's an open ended space game like elite, plus planets, plus a big war between different factions.
pjcast wrote: Is there any chance of multiplayer battles (I know you say single player), as multiplayer battle games are a heck of a lotta fun.. I'm not talking MMO or anything, just a few people in a small game map duke'n it out ;)
Not really. Maybe after I finish this game, I'll look into a networked component. I agree it would be totally cool, but adding networking to a game is a major task, and my brain will explode if I tackle any more by myself.

If you're into multiplayer space battles, you should check out Rakkar's game, Galactic Melee. I think he's taking alpha testers. He has a showcase thread around here somewhere.
big_o
Goblin

Post by big_o »

Sounds interesting and ambitious, I look forward to playing it. :)
kcbanner
Goblin

Post by kcbanner »

@Jabberwocky: Take a look at my project: unlimitedworlds.devjavu.com.

Contact me if you want to chat about things related to ogre to do space stuff.

-kcbanner