M.A.M.E (Arcade Emulator) and my TvTuner in PythonOgre

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
ahmedali
Gnome

M.A.M.E (Arcade Emulator) and my TvTuner in PythonOgre

Post by ahmedali » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:36 pm

Just two projects I did in PythonOgre using ctypes. The objective was to play tv using a common tv tuner and play MAME arcade games inside pythonogre. Both uses ctypes for memory copy from framebuffer to ogre texture.

1- MAME using vcmame 0.105 http://mamedev.org/
If you dont know about MAME, its an emulator that can play thousands of arcade games. However problem was that it doesnt come as a library but a huge exe. The screenshot shows Art of Fighting 3 by SNK. the cabinet model is for StreetFighter2 i got from Baraka @ http://3darcade.mameworld.net/.

Image Image Image
Image Image

2- Common wdm tv tuner card, only one channel is active at a time ofcourse. Using python VideoCapture module modified for channel changing.
Image Image
0 x

ChalkTrauma
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by ChalkTrauma » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi ahmedali,

Very interesting project.. It looks great.. I've actually been working on a project that combines my love of M.A.M.E and my interest in Ogre3D for a while now ( along with my cabinet project, but that is another story ). I don't have much to show yet, things are very rough and I'm still working on the foundation and the tooling, but I had to post when I saw your work..

Do you mind elaborating on how you went about doing what you did, right now I have videos playing on my virtual cabinets, I never thought about trying what you have done..

I take it since you say you used the vcmame distro to pull MAME into visual C++ and you interfaced the MAME renderer with Ogre3D? Did you do this as a plugin, like the wmv video plugin?

How hard was it to do and what is the performance like?

Again, congrats on the good work..
0 x
'It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:15 am

Really cool idea. Nice work.
0 x

ChalkTrauma
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by ChalkTrauma » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:04 am

Hrmmm.. I had a look at the mame sources and was able to get mame .119 compiling with VS 2005 SP1 with a little bit of effort, wasn't exactly straight forward :?

But I'm guessing you are getting your textures from drawd3d_window_draw in osd\windows\drawd3d.c? Is that how you acquire your texture data?

Very novel idea.. my hat is off to you.. I never considered the option of rendering mame frames in my frontend.. it sure beats canned video files :)
0 x
'It is not over unknown seas but back over well-known years that your quest must go; back to the bright strange things of infancy and the quick sun-drenched glimpses of magic that old scenes brought to wide young eyes.'

jordan.day
Gnoblar

Post by jordan.day » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:36 pm

This is a really interesting project. I've never even really thought of a "virtual arcade" before, but this looks like a neat idea!
0 x

ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks guys, I just noted that it is possible to play more than 1 games in parallel if cpu can bear it.

@ChalkTrauma
In near future, once i get time, I shall upload altered files, python files and info. But I used mame 0.105, the latest mame0.119 has completely changed OSD base code.

process in simple words:
1- I downloaded vcmame for 0.105 + mame0.105 sources from mamedev.
2- Build vcmame in vs2005 bypassing multiple symbol linking error.
3- Converted project to Shared library, calling main() from exported function.
4- Used texture prepared for gdi blitting. which calls a python callback function.
5- Made changes to DirectInput for full non-exclusive input and non-focused input capturing.

in python:
1- mame launched in a seperate python thread.
2- a callback is received every time a frame is rendered in mame.
3- blit texture using ctype's memory copy function to ogre's texture.
0 x

ChalkTrauma
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by ChalkTrauma » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:12 pm

ahmedali,

Thanks for the info.. I'd be interested in looking at the code when you get time to upload it..
0 x