Portalized (GUI update)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

nullsquared wrote:Just wanted to say, I'm working hard on the seamless portal through portal lighting and shadowing...

Another thing - the light will be (soft) shadowed by the walls around the portal when it goes through the portal, and it'll go on through however many portals there are - there is no "limit" to the numbers of portals a light can go through (except it's range of influence, obviously).
cant wait to see this :)
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

The beginning:
(directional light looking at camera destination)
No shadowing, no attenuation, nothing fancy. Simplistic stuff, but it's getting there.

(notice how the light doesn't actually go through the portal yet, as the "real" walls are not illuminated by the indirect light - but, so far, they are correctly illuminated through the portal)
twilight17
Goblin

Post by twilight17 »

Ew what are those bulky things on the portal, why don't you make a portal gun? and make the portals without the bulky stuff on the sides.. :wink:
Jallen
Halfling

Post by Jallen »

twilight17 wrote:Ew what are those bulky things on the portal, why don't you make a portal gun? and make the portals without the bulky stuff on the sides.. :wink:
Yeah, then he can call it portal... No.

The portals are physics based and can be moved around. The sides are pretty much needed...
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

twilight17 wrote:Ew what are those bulky things on the portal, why don't you make a portal gun? and make the portals without the bulky stuff on the sides.. :wink:
They're called "being genuine". There's that, and the game is not about shooting portals.
twilight17
Goblin

Post by twilight17 »

that blows
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

what kind of comment is that? This is one of the coolest projects I've seen using Ogre! Don't believe I have said this before but I've sure thought about it. :)
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

This is one of the coolest projects I've seen using Ogre!
I second that! I must admit I didn't realize the metal borders were outlining portals until people mentioned it, so I wasn't exactly sure what I was seeing. Either way the screenshots look great.
Creator of QuickGUI!
twilight17
Goblin

Post by twilight17 »

oddrose wrote:what kind of comment is that? This is one of the coolest projects I've seen using Ogre! Don't believe I have said this before but I've sure thought about it. :)
I know this project PWNS all other projects.. but I would like to have options :wink: :wink: :wink:
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Some sort of subtle effect on the portal's surface would probably go a long way. This is looking amazing all along the way.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Still working on it.
Ein
Gnoblar

Post by Ein »

it just occurred to me that there is no to little reason that 1-to-2 portals couldn't be made, as in 1 entrance two exits, instancing objects as they passthrough. An interesting tech demo could be made by having a portal on the floor, and two exit portals, one on the ceiling and one against a wall, dropping an object, it would quickly replicate. And build a stack of clones on the floor. Or one large entrance portal on the floor and two small portals on the ceiling, object would shrink and multiply, incorporate some logic to delete objects once they reduce below a certain size.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Ein wrote:it just occurred to me that there is no to little reason that 1-to-2 portals couldn't be made[...]
Actually, there is. You cannot unify 2 spaces with 1 space. Your theory breaks the unification process of dual-sided collisions and visuals.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

eugen wrote:
nullsquared wrote:Just wanted to say, I'm working hard on the seamless portal through portal lighting and shadowing...

Another thing - the light will be (soft) shadowed by the walls around the portal when it goes through the portal, and it'll go on through however many portals there are - there is no "limit" to the numbers of portals a light can go through (except it's range of influence, obviously).
cant wait to see this :)
Update on first page with much working PTP lighting.
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

nullsquared wrote:
Ein wrote:it just occurred to me that there is no to little reason that 1-to-2 portals couldn't be made[...]
Actually, there is. You cannot unify 2 spaces with 1 space. Your theory breaks the unification process of dual-sided collisions and visuals.
Well the idea sounds interesting (though technically difficult) and there are some things which I am not sure how they should work. Lets imagine you have a portal 'A' and connected to it you have two portals 'B' and 'C'. Now I like the idea that if you put an object through A then it should be duplicated as this could have cool gameplay consequences. But what if you put the object into B or C?

In fact, what if you look into A? Which portal should you see out of?

But actually this gives me an idea! What if you set it up so that you can 'chain' portals. So if you look into A you see out of B, but if you look into B you see out of C? Then C would be connected back to A. I think that sounds technically feasible?
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

PolyVox wrote: [problems]
Pretty much my point.
But actually this gives me an idea! What if you set it up so that you can 'chain' portals. So if you look into A you see out of B, but if you look into B you see out of C? Then C would be connected back to A. I think that sounds technically feasible?
Lua:

Code: Select all

portal0 = Portal.create()
portal1 = Portal.create()
portal2 = Portal.create()
portal0:link(portal1)
portal1:link(portal2)
portal2:link(portal0)
C++

Portal *p[3] = { portalMgr->createPortal(), portalMgr->createPortal(), portalMgr->createPortal() };
p[0]->setOther(p[1]);
p[1]->setOther(p[2]);
p[2]->setOther(p[0]);
Yes, this allows for mirrors:

// Lua
somePortal:link(somePortal)
//C++
somePortal->setOther(somePortal);
// or simpler
somePortal->setOther(NULL); // automatically links to self
Each portal relies on nothing but itself - you can link it up however you want. This is where the "legacy" blue<--->orange legend is totally forgotten.
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

i believe the 1-1 link in Portal was due to gameplay considerents, im pretty sure they can link portals in a chain
nonetheless your solution seems more fun :)
nice lighting trough portals, i cant wait to play this!
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

eugen wrote:i believe the 1-1 link in Portal was due to gameplay considerents, im pretty sure they can link portals in a chain
Not so sure about that. According to the commentaries, they used some kind of "unified space" or "bubble" where the two portals met - if this is indeed how they did it, they can only ever have 2 portals interconnect with each other, and not form a chain. Also, I was much referring to Narbacular Drop there :)
nonetheless your solution seems more fun :)
It's just a "side effect" of the portal design I'm getting at.
nice lighting trough portals, i cant wait to play this!
You did look at the first page, right? Just making sure, since I have only old screen shots on page 7. It'll definitely look a lot nicer once I get the shadowing completely working.
Jallen
Halfling

Post by Jallen »

If the exit portal is 4* the size of the entry portal does the light expand by that much too (as in light 4* the surface area of the object pointed at)?

Looking great.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Jallen wrote:If the exit portal is 4* the size of the entry portal does the light expand by that much too (as in light 4* the surface area of the object pointed at)?

Looking great.
Not thought about it yet. Either I should make the radius stay the same, or enlarge (as if the light got more powerful due to its size).

Also, check first post.
Tinnus
Halfling

Post by Tinnus »

Cool little idea: something that you could add and would make the light-via-portal effect more apparent is adding lightshafts :D

IMO it would also look more real since it seems you're essentially in a dark, semi-abandoned place and there's sure to be dust there! :D
fifi
Gnoblar

Post by fifi »

I can say only one thing: AMAZING PROJECT!
I've got some questions. Firts, could you tell me
what enviroment do you use? Code::Blocks and MinGW
or Visual Studio? And second: will you relase this engine
to public? I'm not talking about source code but about
compiled lib and header files that we can use it in Ogre?

P.S. I'm 14 too. :) At least I meet somebody who is 14
and who programs!
twilight17
Goblin

Post by twilight17 »

fifi wrote:I can say only one thing: AMAZING PROJECT!
I've got some questions. Firts, could you tell me
what enviroment do you use? Code::Blocks and MinGW
or Visual Studio? And second: will you relase this engine
to public? I'm not talking about source code but about
compiled lib and header files that we can use it in Ogre?

P.S. I'm 14 too. :) At least I meet somebody who is 14
and who programs!
He is using Code::Blocks with MinGW :)

P.S. Im 14 also
fifi
Gnoblar

Post by fifi »

Thanks for answering me!
Great, another 14! :)
Nullsquared do you really use C::B & MinGW?
Sorry for same question but I must be sure. :)
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Yes, Code::Blocks with mingw on Windows (XP).

As for releasing the engine itself... yeah, I plan on doing something like that. Not sure when, though.