I know this topic is sorta old, but since my project itself isn't ready for a showcase and I thought this little test turned out well I figured I'd post a couple quick shots of the SSAO in it (and I just now got a graphics card that could support SSAO....):
First off, nullsquared, thanks so much for releasing this, really great work.
Really the look of this is far from the graphical style I had planned, but got bored and started messing around in blender and sorta liked the result...
.. especially since I'm usually more programmer than artist....
And as the Hikari overlay in the corner shows, my project's preliminary name is Quanta (and it invovles 3D puzzle solving somewhat like portal but without portals
, instead relying on physics and time manipulation (it's a lot deeper than it sounds... but that's enough about it for now.....)).
All of the ambient occlusion shown in that shot is done by the SSAO, I had a baked AO map at one point, but the SSAO actually looked a lot better (all the pipes and such didn't lend themselves well to uv mapping for the baked AO). In the shots the SSAO is using something like 20-30 samples (way too much but performance was slow as heck anyways), also I blurred the SSAO map slightly to get rid of a little bit of the noise. This is also using variance shadow mapping based off the earlier soft shadows demo (again thanks null, great stuff...).
These shots were taken at 1280x1024 resolution, with 8xS antialiasing, 16x anisotropic filtering, etc etc.... pretty much the highest i could set everything. On my ancient computer (Pentium 4 1.8Ghz, 512 mb RDRAM (
), and a new agp 7600GS 512mb) I got about 2fps with those settings, though if I toned things down to the minimum I got about 30fps and it still looked great...)