ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Beta Release 10.3.14 Pg.16]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
rodstrom
Gnoblar

Re: ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Layer Painting p.15 7.4

Post by rodstrom »

Hello,
I just noticed a bug with the custom properties of objects. Sometimes objects lose their custom properties while editing.
The following will reproduce the problem:
1. Create two objects and give them an identical custom property.
2. Click one of the objects, then click the other.
3. Now the object last clicked has lost its custom property.
This can be avoided by clicking any other object between clicking the two with the custom property. The objects only lose the custom property that they had in common with each other, all other non-identical custom properties are left untouched. The values doesn't have to be the same for this to happen, only the attribute name.
Any idea of why this is happening? Are there any solutions avaliable?
Otherwise it's a great editor that has helped us a lot, thanks!
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

bstone wrote:The default material generator will only work nicely with a single directional light since that's what makes for an outdoor terrain most of the time. If you want something more fancy, point lights included, you'll have to create your own material generator and most likely use per-light iterations in your material passes. It's not that hard as it sounds.

Thanks bstone for helping out :)

@Orobu: The loader is by no means perfect, specially not the Ogre::Terrain one, it is more or less a barebone helper / starting point / sample how to get your Artifex scene imported. Once 1.2 is out, i am going to put more time down on improving it.
rodstrom wrote:Hello,
I just noticed a bug with the custom properties of objects. Sometimes objects lose their custom properties while editing.
The following will reproduce the problem:
1. Create two objects and give them an identical custom property.
2. Click one of the objects, then click the other.
3. Now the object last clicked has lost its custom property.
This can be avoided by clicking any other object between clicking the two with the custom property. The objects only lose the custom property that they had in common with each other, all other non-identical custom properties are left untouched. The values doesn't have to be the same for this to happen, only the attribute name.
Any idea of why this is happening? Are there any solutions avaliable?
Otherwise it's a great editor that has helped us a lot, thanks!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and of course I am flattered you like it - anyway gonna look into it. :)
Diathorus
Gnoblar

Post by Diathorus »

Hello together,

great work here and its good to see that the development is still ongoing!

After reading this forum i have found only one small information about scene-compatibility, and that is:
DotScene Converter:
All features are fully working in the free version without restrictions and will remain free. RC1 is a still a zip archive and RC2 will be coming soon with a real installer and will release the SQlite-to-Ogre dotscene converter again. The converter is based on Php-Gtk and fully scripted so you can easily modify it to whatever XML output you need for your project!
Is that application already accessible, or is the ArtifexTerra Editor yet not compatible with Ogre scenes?

Thank you very much!
Hubert
Kobold

Post by Hubert »

Hello,
I have the same problem than Orobu.

I'm using your loader with ogre 1.9, I have a 5770 ATI card, on windows 7, the problem appears with both RenderSystem (direct3d, opengl).
It seems that the terrain is loaded but not correctly textured.
normal view
normal view
artifex_bug.png (221 KiB) Viewed 28088 times
wireframe view
wireframe view
artifex_bug2.jpg (242.73 KiB) Viewed 28088 times
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Diathorus wrote:Hello together,

great work here and its good to see that the development is still ongoing!

After reading this forum i have found only one small information about scene-compatibility, and that is:
DotScene Converter:
All features are fully working in the free version without restrictions and will remain free. RC1 is a still a zip archive and RC2 will be coming soon with a real installer and will release the SQlite-to-Ogre dotscene converter again. The converter is based on Php-Gtk and fully scripted so you can easily modify it to whatever XML output you need for your project!
Is that application already accessible, or is the ArtifexTerra Editor yet not compatible with Ogre scenes?

Thank you very much!
Going to add it to the open source repository, may take a bit because sadly I have very tight time budget right now.
Hubert wrote:Hello,
I have the same problem than Orobu.

I'm using your loader with ogre 1.9, I have a 5770 ATI card, on windows 7, the problem appears with both RenderSystem (direct3d, opengl).
It seems that the terrain is loaded but not correctly textured.
artifex_bug.png
artifex_bug2.jpg
I can reproduce the problem, reworking the material generator right now to put the whole Ogre::Terrain topic on a bit more solid feet.
Humungo
Gnoblar

Post by Humungo »

Hey Nauk,

I'll start by saying thank you, this editor is fantastic and has saved myself and my team a lot of time and pain.

I was just wondering if you have an expected release for 1.2 yet, it looks like a great update and we're eager to get our hands on it. Even an incomplete pre-release just to try out the new features would be awesome.

Again, thank you, you've really made a brilliant piece of software.
Lagger90
Gnoblar

Post by Lagger90 »

Hi guys,

I've been looking into artifexterra and it looks really neat. Been poking around it a bit and before i (finally) use it to create my terrain, i would to know if it's possible to use the hydrax water and the skyx skies intead of the artifex ones.

Cheers,

Lagger
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Humungo wrote:Hey Nauk,

I'll start by saying thank you, this editor is fantastic and has saved myself and my team a lot of time and pain.

I was just wondering if you have an expected release for 1.2 yet, it looks like a great update and we're eager to get our hands on it. Even an incomplete pre-release just to try out the new features would be awesome.

Again, thank you, you've really made a brilliant piece of software.
Thanks for the great feedback! The new version is laying on my harddrive, close to be finished since quite a while now, sadly my time budget for Artifex has not been quite like I wished for the last months. But it looks to
be better the coming weeks and seems like I got someone to help me speeding things up a bit more :).
Lagger90 wrote:Hi guys,

I've been looking into artifexterra and it looks really neat. Been poking around it a bit and before i (finally) use it to create my terrain, i would to know if it's possible to use the hydrax water and the skyx skies intead of the artifex ones.

Cheers,

Lagger
Thanks :) Right now it does not support Hydrax or Skyx, so you'd have to have to add them later. I have been thinking about adding them many times, but so far improving the existing features always seemed to be more important than adding new ones. 1.2 is going to be a milestone after which I am going to layout the roadmap to 2.0. Supporting environmental engines like Hydrax and Skyx will definately be part of that.
Lagger90
Gnoblar

Post by Lagger90 »

Humungo wrote:
Thanks :) Right now it does not support Hydrax or Skyx, so you'd have to have to add them later. I have been thinking about adding them many times, but so far improving the existing features always seemed to be more important than adding new ones. 1.2 is going to be a milestone after which I am going to layout the roadmap to 2.0. Supporting environmental engines like Hydrax and Skyx will definately be part of that.
Thanks for your answer.

If i can add them myself later then it's great :D i'll prolly just add skyX, the artifex water is fine.

keep up the good work ;) great and complete terrain editor if you ask me.

Cheers,

Lagger
Lagger90
Gnoblar

Post by Lagger90 »

Hi again,

err this is a total newbie quesition i'm quite aware, but i'm struggling to add the terrain i've created to my project.
Haven't really found a proper guide on how to do this and this thread doesn't have a clear answer :/

I was calling the previous terrain i was using with this ->

Code: Select all

mSceneMgr->setWorldGeometry("Terrain.cfg");
I've included the .cpp and .h files from the AritfexLoader to my project but i don't know how to load the terrain...
Can someone help me? How to i use all my .png/.cg/and .cfg files?

Lagger

EDIT: i have the pagedgeometry.lib and everything. i'm trying to use the code from sampleapp.cpp and change the files from the media/demozone with the files from my own map but ogre just crashes :/ any reasons??
RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

Hi guys, since yesterday I have tried to download this app exactly 20 times :evil: , but the process suddenly stops between 120Mb and 130Mb, I have also tried the .de mirror with no success. Does anyone knows where else to download it from?

thx
Integrated: Ogre3D + dotScene (Blender loader) + MyGUI (UI) + RakNet (Client/Server) + Leap Motion (The future is here!) + StereoManager (3D Anaglyph red-cyan)
WIP: StereoManager (Real 3D) + CCS (Camera Control System) + Sound, experimenting with Android.
Nauk
Gnoll

Re: ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Beta Release 10.3.14]

Post by Nauk »

Lightmap, improved realtime texture manipulation and new texture bar:
Image Image Image

Switching colour layers on and off and playing with layer opacity:
Image Image Image
More Screenshots here.

So what took you so long?
1.2 which originally set out as 1.0 RC2 had a growing list of changes, over 80 at the end, mostly fixes and improvements of existing features. While working on it, I had some major breakthrough with the new paintengine I been working on the side for quite a while now, excited as I was, I decided to put it in :) Another real distraction was the detour of wanting to change the GUI to something more native like QT or Gtkmm, being in the middle of porting I noticed there is no real benefit, just more work at the end of the road, so I decided to skip that effort in favor for working on real features instead. Well here we go now:

So what's new in 1.2? - Not going to list all of them but here are the major ones:

• New paintengine with multilayer colour painting on 8 extra layers. Similar like in popular 2d paint programs you can turn the visibility of each layer on and off and you can change the opacity for it. All 8 layers will be rendered into one single colour texture, so no extra texture slot required. The idea behind it was that I found it very annoying to everytime having to completely alter the colour layer once I changed something on the terrain or texturing. This now should enable a whole new artistic dimension to it and I hope you like this new feature as much as I do!

• Automatic lightmap generation and a GUI control for it.

• Migrated to a lot newer versions of the libraries Artifex is based upon. Ogre 1.7 (stability), PagedGeometry 1.14 (grass can receive lighting).

• Changed the mousepointer to native so it no longer disappears. Right mouse still works to drag GUI elements. Something many wished for.

• Reworked and improved the existing terrain shader material.

• New project templates: A triplanar rendering shader to avoid texture stretching upslopes. A singlepass shader without normalmapping.

• New texture bar control to navigate through the textures for texture painting and editing.

• Improved memory handling to reduce leaks and crashes.

• Overhaul of most of the GUI and workflow to improve the user experience.

• Improved the texture manipulation control and made it accessible via texture bar.

• New system for filepath and filename handling.

• 2 new demo zones.

Note: the undo system is disabled for this release and due to a long needed overhaul, it will be put in again in the next release.

There are also new FAQ entries including installation requirements and some trouble shooting:
http://www.3d-terrain-editor.com/faq.php
Planing to enhance and add to it with the input that comes.

So what's next?
Like mentioned next release will feature a new undo system, some remapping of keys to more common known settings, more paintmodes and most important a total of the Ogre::Terrain loader which is also sorely due...and then let's see... ;)

Where can I get it?
http://www.3d-terrain-editor.com - ...or click on the link in my signature and unlock the download, or click on the alternate rapidshare link for people with slower connections.

What does it cost?
Still nothing, it is free as in beer :).

Thanks for the patience, feedback of any kind is like always most appreciated - Enjoy! :)
//Nauk

Last edited by Nauk on Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
duststorm
Minaton

Re: ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Beta Release 10.3.14]

Post by duststorm »

Nauk wrote:PagedGeometry 1.14 (grass can receive lighting).
Nice to see you took up on that idea ;)
Very cool release! I really have to make time to pick this up again.
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
Nauk
Gnoll

Re: ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Beta Release 10.3.14 Pg

Post by Nauk »

Thanks duststorm :) and yes, makes for a whole lot more nice atmosphere.

Oh and another good thing happened:
Artifex Terra 1.0 just got issued by the "Chip" magazine last Friday, which is like the Germans amongst you know one of the 2 biggest and oldest German computer magazines. They released a themed DVD titled "Kreativ-Suite" in the current issue 04/14 and Artifex Terra is part of it, next to big names like Blender, Terragen, Wings3D, Houdini Apprentice, etc. which makes me one fat proud Troll XD. Also was a big motivation boost to finally get 1.2 finished and out.
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Nauk wrote:Artifex Terra 1.0 just got issued by the "Chip" magazine last Friday
That's pretty cool news, indeed! :)
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
jbb
Gnoblar

Post by jbb »

Nice update, seems to improve it in a lot of ways.
And congratulations on the magazine release, that's cool! :)
Rhynedahll
Halfling

Post by Rhynedahll »

On my system (Win 7) the interface is bugged.

When I scroll over them with the mouse, the buttons become corrupted, as if the images are being dislocated.

This starts with the original menu and continues to the workbench screen.
The Key to Magic -- Book One: ORPHAN
An epic fantasy by H. Jonas Rhynedahll available on Kindle.
The Key to Magic
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

duststorm wrote:That's pretty cool news, indeed! :)
:)
jbb wrote:Nice update, seems to improve it in a lot of ways.
And congratulations on the magazine release, that's cool! :)
Thanks jbb :)
Rhynedahll wrote:On my system (Win 7) the interface is bugged.

When I scroll over them with the mouse, the buttons become corrupted, as if the images are being dislocated.

This starts with the original menu and continues to the workbench screen.
I am familiar with the problem, the GUI being rendered by Mozilla is also subject to Windows font-size increases - sadly. To solve it change the Windows font-size to 100% and the GUI should behave like it is supposed to be. I also put it up into the FAQ. Hope that helps and thanks for posting Jonas :).
scottyp
Gnoblar

Post by scottyp »

Hi Nauk,

First of all, really really great tool! It makes Ogre terrain creation seems easy and fun :)

A couple of questions here:

1) A possibility to use drag/mouse with a 3D XYZ tool for mesh objects on the next or future version?

2) Is the UI customizable? I see that you are using a html type library that can be customized?

Thanks a lot!
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Hey scottyp, thanks for the nice feedback, happy you like it :) To answer your questions:

1) Putting it on the list. Wondering why it isn't already there :)

2) Yes, you can customize / skin it, though you the limit is each control corresponds with a "Navi" object, so you cannot move functionality between the controls, but otherwise you can redesign any of them like you wish (given, product name, copy right, credits, licenses stay readable in place). Another thing would be each control size is hardcoded, but they are shaped by transparency masks, which gives you a little more space or the possibility for a different outer shape. Oh and I would love to see an alternate skin, so go for it :)
scottyp
Gnoblar

Post by scottyp »

Hey Nauk, this is really awesome :D By the way, any new updates on this? thanks
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

scottyp wrote:Hey Nauk, this is really awesome :D By the way, any new updates on this? thanks
Thanks :) I picked up working on it again: minor update soon - bigger one will take a little longer, but definately within the coming 3 months. Stay put :)
blitzcoder
Halfling

Re: ArtifexTerra Terrain Editor [1.2 Beta Release 10.3.14 Pg.16]

Post by blitzcoder »

Hi, any ideas where to import the generated heightmap image to another terrain tool?

The resulting heightmap created by this tool is too gray and not really familiar with the format that is not a power of 8 (ie. 1025x1025)

It still imports though, but the data is not detailed as how artifex loads it.. kind of losing some resolution.

P.S. I realized that the official website already went down.. but still hoping someone who's familiar or the author Nauk is still around to get some answers.
New Blitz3D/BlitzBasic/BlitzMax Home - https://blitzcoder.org
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I suspect its either float or 16bit per height internally and its down sampling for an image export? I've never used it though so can't help further than that.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
dragostej
Gnoblar

Post by dragostej »

Unfortunately ArtifexTerra website is not available at the moment.
Anybody can give me a download link?