Nature demo

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
lilljohan
Halfling

Nature demo

Post by lilljohan »

Hi, I had some time over a couple of weeks ago and decided to make a small demo combining some greate Ogre addons, and today i finally finished it.

Addons used:
PagedGeometry
Caelum
Hydrax
Editable Terrain Manager - Not used directly but in an editor using my .net wrapper

I made the terrain by making the base height map in photoshop, put it into World Machine and gave it a final touch in a editor i made a couple of months ago.

However there are some issues right now - the sun do not get a correct reflection and sometimes there are ghost reflections from the trees. But i believe that the end result is more than ok =) Oh - and there are som perfomance issues ;) Got about 30 fps on my Q6600 and 8800GTS.

A video
Executable + source code

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by lilljohan on Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdkeito
Orc

Post by cdkeito »

the video is private:
http://www.vimeo.com/232857
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

cdkeito wrote:the video is private:
http://www.vimeo.com/232857
Should be fixed now =)
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

lilljohan, this is very inspirational! Thanks for sharing the video and the source! :D
Creator of QuickGUI!
kcbanner
Goblin

Post by kcbanner »

Very nice.

I would suggets varying the grass billboards randomly or using some more different kinds of vegetation but it looks great!
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Ah, it's amazing and very relaxing. Thanks a lot :)
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

I somehow can't run it.

When I try the executable it states that the appliction cinfiguration is not correct (just translating from german here, so it must not be 100% accurate)

I also tried to open the solution, but when attempting to do so I get a message about an XML parser error.
This is what it says :
"'9,00' violates enumeration constraint of '7.00 7,00 7.10 7,10 8.00 8,00'.
The attribute 'Version' with value '9,00' failed to parse."
I don't know, but it might be very simple actually, only that this error tells me just about nothing. Which is a shame, because I'd really love to try it out myself.
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

~ Thomas Edison ~
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

buckED wrote:I somehow can't run it.

When I try the executable it states that the appliction cinfiguration is not correct (just translating from german here, so it must not be 100% accurate)

I also tried to open the solution, but when attempting to do so I get a message about an XML parser error.
This is what it says :
"'9,00' violates enumeration constraint of '7.00 7,00 7.10 7,10 8.00 8,00'.
The attribute 'Version' with value '9,00' failed to parse."
I don't know, but it might be very simple actually, only that this error tells me just about nothing. Which is a shame, because I'd really love to try it out myself.
You need the VC++08 runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

It's a Visual Studio 2008 solution so you need that to open it.
Last edited by lilljohan on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hey! Very nice ;)

I don't the because of trees reflections issue, possible something related with Paged geometry/static geometry? Don't think so..., it will be useful a little debug overlay with "HydraxReflectionMap"/"HydraxRefractionMap" textures.

Pretty nice!!
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

Ok that first problem is solved, thanks for the input. however now it states, that d3dx9_36.dll could not be found. what am I missing here?

[edit] oh and the parser thing is still an issue. any idea what it might be? [/edit]
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

~ Thomas Edison ~
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

buckED wrote:Ok that first problem is solved, thanks for the input. however now it states, that d3dx9_36.dll could not be found. what am I missing here?
You're missing d3dx9_36.dll ;) Get the latest DirectX or just download the file: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... l?d3dx9_36
Kerion
Goblin

Post by Kerion »

Woot :D I hope those METM patches I submitted helped you get your editor running, I know it did mine :D

I am curious though, did you ever try and use ETM to actually render the terrain at runtime, versus edit time? I tried, but it always cause the Callum skybox to be skewed and way above the terrain. I think it had something to do with the way ETM uses extents, but I could never fix it. I know it doesn't happen with PLSM or the stock terrain manager.
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

Ok, now everything is fine, thanks for being so patient with me :)
And a BIG thanks for sharing of course

~ Thomas Edison ~
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

Kerion wrote:Woot :D I hope those METM patches I submitted helped you get your editor running, I know it did mine :D

I am curious though, did you ever try and use ETM to actually render the terrain at runtime, versus edit time? I tried, but it always cause the Callum skybox to be skewed and way above the terrain. I think it had something to do with the way ETM uses extents, but I could never fix it. I know it doesn't happen with PLSM or the stock terrain manager.
No i have never tried that, but i have started to work on my game / editor again and hopefully i will get Caelum working in it. Just have to wrap it first =)
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Very cool! It's great to see something combining the various Ogre addons in this way :)
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

Xavyiy wrote:Hey! Very nice ;)

I don't the because of trees reflections issue, possible something related with Paged geometry/static geometry? Don't think so..., it will be useful a little debug overlay with "HydraxReflectionMap"/"HydraxRefractionMap" textures.

Pretty nice!!
I could not get my debug overlay working. But i got a snapshot on the textures from Pix instead.

Full scene Image Reflection Image Refraction Image Something weird Image
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

awesome demo, transports the power of the used libraries :)
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

I linked some other people to watch the video, and somebody pointed out that the sun's reflection wasn't correct on the water. I rewatched the video, and it does seem to be off, around 23 seconds into it. Are my eyes bad? I would expect the sun's reflection to be between the camera and the sun, but its off to the right.
Creator of QuickGUI!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

lilljohan wrote:
Xavyiy wrote:Hey! Very nice ;)

Pretty nice!!
I could not get my debug overlay working. But i got a snapshot on the textures from Pix instead.

Full scene Image Reflection Image Refraction Image Something weird Image
Mmm... it seems that there're problems with Camera reflection and trees, it's very possible that this is not an Hydrax bug because Hydrax just uses Ogre::Camera::enableReflection(ClipPlane) to get the Reflection texture.
Only with one screenshot I can't know what the problem is, but it's possible that the clip plane doesn't work with these trees(I need a video or something like this to know if that's the problem, but it's possible that).

Xavi

Edit: Some other people have the sun reflection issue, I will looking into this to be sure that it isn't an Hydrax bug.
Edit 2: Try to set a little value of Hydrax::setPlanesError([0,10]) to be sure that it's not that.
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

Post by leonardoaraujo.santos »

Very nice man ... can't wait to study the code! Maybe it could be converted to some tutorial on Ogre wiki?

And thanks to share the code. I know that this is an showcase forum but it helps a lot sharing the code.
_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous »

Where did you get Caelum ? :oops:
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

KungFooMasta wrote:I linked some other people to watch the video, and somebody pointed out that the sun's reflection wasn't correct on the water. I rewatched the video, and it does seem to be off, around 23 seconds into it. Are my eyes bad? I would expect the sun's reflection to be between the camera and the sun, but its off to the right.
Yeah, i'm already aware of that issue =/
Xavyiy wrote:Edit 2: Try to set a little value of Hydrax::setPlanesError([0,10]) to be sure that it's not that.
I will try that.
_Anonymous wrote:Where did you get Caelum ? :oops:
From https://caelum.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/caelum

Edit Xavyiy: It works =) This is what happens when i am stupid and modify every parameter but setPlanesError ;)
Last edited by lilljohan on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Looks great! Keep up the good work 8)
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

Maybe it could be converted to some tutorial on Ogre wiki?
I absolutely like this idea. Code is one thing and it's already great enough you shared it. But on the wiki it wouldn't get lost that fast under numerous posts. Plus the wiki gives you a lot of space for additional information and explanations.

~ Thomas Edison ~
lilljohan
Halfling

Post by lilljohan »

New version available =) Same download as the last one.

No more ghost reflections
The sun has a more or less correct reflection
Fixed a normal map that i broke while resizing it