Myrddin Landscape Plugin Demo 2

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Ensced
Gnoblar

Re: Myrddin Landscape Plugin Demo 2

Post by Ensced »

I have test the demo in the wiki, it's very beautiful but I have just 0,5 FPS snif :cry:
when the anti-aliasing is off, I have just 1,5 FPS (youpi lol)

I have no test the last demo, I wait a version compatible with Ogre 1,6 for test. Just a question, can we use NxOgre with Myrddin?
myrddinson
Greenskin

Post by myrddinson »

For now i am waiting too for Mogre 1.6 to be released (current Mogre version is 1.4.8);
so i will release plugin final version with sources - LGPL and commercial - for Mogre 1.4.8 - and Ogre 1.4.8 - first.
Myrddin Landscape Plugin is a pure scene manager - main class is derived from SceneManager class - so it can be used with other plugins - which are not scene manager themselves. So if NxOgre does not interfer with scene manager behavior it should be compatible i guess.
Myrddinson
http://myrddinplugin.sourceforge.net/

Intel Core I7 CPU, Geforce GTX 260M 1GB
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Excellent news, Myrddinson! :)

I have a couple questions:
  1. Does LGPL mean that the plugin will be hosted on a repository? Except shaders, of course. That would make it a lot easier to fix things or get things done, by submitting patches.
  2. Is the plugin cross platform?
  3. How well does this plugin integrate with Caelum and Hydrax?
  4. Paged Geometry?
  5. Can it handle a terrain 99x99 tiles big?
  6. How many terrain splatting textures does it support? 8? More?
  7. I have heightmaps, normal maps and alphamaps (RGBA) exported from a terrain program. Those are all pre-split and ready to go. Would it be easy enough to just drop those files in a folder and load it into your plugin?
  8. Is it possible to load our assets based on the background loading of terrain tiles?
I am really looking forward to this.
This might be the terrain scenemanager I've been looking for. :D
myrddinson
Greenskin

Post by myrddinson »

So in the order ;)
1 - Fo now, no: i am planning to release C++ plugin+demo sources under LGPL license as part of a SDK to make it easier to integrate the plugin with MOgreSDK, OgreSDK or MOgre or Ogre sources. There will be separate SDKs for Ogre and MOgre. Free SDKs will be downloadable from SourceForge, commercial SDKs - which will include zpk and shaders sources - will be downloadable from plugin web site - when it is ready.
2 - plugin has been developed on windows plaform so it might be necessary to modify some code lines for other platforms but most of code is not platform-specific; btw i will provide LGPL shaders too.
3 - I have not tested with Caelum or Hydrax but if these plugins do not conflict or alter scene manager behavior, they should be compatible. I think you will need to disable at least plugin dynamic sky/haze if you want to use Caelum because Caelum provides dynamic sky feature too ?
4 - yes paged geometry is supported - seamless or not
5 - there is no limit - pages are loaded/unloaded dynamically and there is a page caching mechanism
6 - you can use up to 8 layers - each layer can use one or more textures for instance a base texture, a detail texture and a normal map texture.
7 - heightmaps must be 16 bits little-endian encoded, with width=height=2^n+1 and sibling page heightmaps share border vertexs (as for tiles in Ogre TerrainSceneManager); normal maps can be used directly and for splatting alpha maps, plugin can use up to two ARGB splatting maps with layer 0-3 or 4-7 modulate factors encoded in b,g,r and a channels. Also, you must respect plugin naming convention for heightmaps and textures names. Plugin will provide tool methods to convert 2^n heightmaps to 2^n+1 or split heightmap in nxn smaller heightmaps to make it easy to import external heightmaps or generate pages from a big heightmap.
8 - you can set listeners on page loading events and so do whatever you want when a page is loaded. For now, page loading is not asynchronous but is distributed on some frames.
Myrddinson

Piwibe
Gnoblar

Post by Piwibe »

Hello,

i'm very interested in your plugin. However, it's impossible to download files from dl.free.fr . I'd like to include your plugin in one of my custom 1.4 ogre app... Therefore i need the demo2 and the libs files...

Can you upload the files somewhere else?

Thank you very much !
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

I'm really sad.
In April 2008 I created a wiki page for this great landscape plugin.
www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Myrddin_Landscape_Plugin
Although I told it in the forum and asked to keep it up to date, not any single change was done.
Nothing.
I spend much time for building up the wiki and want help other people.
The wiki is a good place for find informations quickly and to get an overview of the current state, important links. etc. ... but it need to be updated.
I can't look for everything, spend enough time for the wiki. More then 1000 edits now.
Now I ask myself, why I do it ... it makes me sad to be (nearly) on lonely place ...
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Don't be sad, Beauty. :)
You're doing a stellar job, and if you feel lonely, post about it @ the forum.
You work is really appreciated. :D
I really, really like how you and Spacegaier are tending the wiki.

However: Myrddinsson haven't been around much - and I wonder if this project has dropped off of the edge of our planet? :?
He's the only person who can update that particular page.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Beauty wrote:I'm really sad.
In April 2008 I created a wiki page for this great landscape plugin.
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/My ... ape_Plugin
Although I told it in the forum and asked to keep it up to date, not any single change was done.
Nothing.
I spend much time for building up the wiki and want help other people.
The wiki is a good place for find informations quickly and to get an overview of the current state, important links. etc. ... but it need to be updated.
I can't look for everything, spend enough time for the wiki. More then 1000 edits now.
Now I ask myself, why I do it ... it makes me sad to be (nearly) on lonely place ...
I have to add to jacmoe there, I have noticed in many places how you care for the wiki and I too think it is VERY good and much appreciated. You made a page for MOC aswell where I still haven't found the time to write a bit about it, simply because I am having my head too full most of the time with other stuff, nevertheless you making that put a little red reminder in the back of my head: Beauty made a wiki entry -> Nauk go and fill it finally you slacker -< and I will, promissed! Anyway, don't get frustrated over it and think noone values it, because I really believe people notice your effort, even if they are not always stating it directly. Either way, I definately do and I would like to thank you for it and please keep it up! :)
mickeyren
Greenskin

Post by mickeyren »

Beauty wrote:I'm really sad.
Don't please! I look for answers in the wiki all the time! and I see your name on the history page come up all the time. In fact I see you pointed some links into my wiki entry (creating 3d grid). :)

We are so grateful and thankful for you!
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

Noob question. Why can I only choose DirectX for the display driver?
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
TheOneKnownAsMe
Gnoblar

Post by TheOneKnownAsMe »

Looking very good.

There is a problem, however. When you go underwater, it doesn't fog the terrain.

Other than that, it looks really nice.
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

What's the progress on the plugin? I'd really like to use this and I hope you haven't given up or anything!
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
aguru
Goblin

Post by aguru »

I think he was aiming at a march release date, so things are on schedule :)
oskEE
Gnoblar

Post by oskEE »

Hi Myrddin,
I know that maybe you are annoyed by the repetitive questions about the state of your plugin, but still I'd like to ask, if you know when are you going to release it? :)
I'm asking because I'm currently choosing an Ogre plugin for terrain management in my project and I'm deciding between your plugin and PLSM2, obviously. I have to make the decision asap, so I'd appreciate any information. Thanks :wink:
Core 2 Duo @ 1.86 GHz / GeForce 8800GT 512 MB / Windows 7 (64bit)
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

I'm not so familar with the differences of scene managers.
How much work would it be to change the manager?

Which ones use height maps + texture?

What other basic techniques are used for terrain data? (apart from Mesh data)

Some information is on the SceneManagersFAQ page of wiki, but this is incomplete.
You also can tell useful links. Maybe I (or others?) add them or content of it to the wiki.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
MaxWave
Halfling

Post by MaxWave »

Hi, myrddinson

How can I change vertex parameters (height, textcoords , etc) ?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

myrddinson wrote:For now i am waiting too for Mogre 1.6 to be released (current Mogre version is 1.4.8);
so i will release plugin final version with sources - LGPL and commercial - for Mogre 1.4.8 - and Ogre 1.4.8 - first.
Myrddin Landscape Plugin is a pure scene manager - main class is derived from SceneManager class - so it can be used with other plugins - which are not scene manager themselves. So if NxOgre does not interfer with scene manager behavior it should be compatible i guess.
You don't have any excuses now - MOgre 1.6 is out already. :)
myrddinson
Greenskin

Post by myrddinson »

Hi everybody,

I am sorry to admit i do not have much time to spare on the plugin now so i intend to release first LGPL sources (C++ plugin sources and C++/C# demo sources) in about one week (on SourceForge) with new mogre demo including a splatting layer paint brush.
Myrddinson

DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

myrddinson wrote:I am sorry to admit i do not have much time to spare on the plugin now so i intend to release first LGPL sources (C++ plugin sources and C++/C# demo sources) in about one week (on SourceForge) with new mogre demo including a splatting layer paint brush.
Cool. But, that doesn't include the shader sources, does it? Will there still be a commercial version?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

myrddinson wrote:I am sorry to admit i do not have much time to spare on the plugin now so i intend to release first LGPL sources (C++ plugin sources and C++/C# demo sources) in about one week (on SourceForge) with new mogre demo including a splatting layer paint brush.
That's good news!
Hope you get time to work on it soon - you are probably aware of the new paging system in the oven. It will require some rewriting, but it's going to rock. Just like your plugin. :)
myrddinson
Greenskin

Post by myrddinson »

LGPL sources will not include shaders sources and only HLSL shaders for now - i still need to convert last modified HLSL shaders to LGPL. The purpose of this release is to allow you to integrate plugin in a custom app so that you can test and customize plugin more easily - but of course you will need shaders sources if you want to customize materials. Commercial release with shaders sources and LGPL shaders will follow later.
Myrddinson

DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Awesome. I shall definitely be trying it out. I stopped wasting my time with PLSM a while ago. Maybe I'd be the first to get it working with Hydrax, PG and Caelum. I'm sure it would look great. :D
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

@DanielSefton + jackmoe
Please don't quote posts if not necessary.
It's not good for the overview.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Beauty wrote:Please don't quote posts if not necessary.
It's not good for the overview.
I am quoting where it makes sense.
And I am determined to do so in the future.
It makes it totally clear what it is I am replying to.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

I think if somebody posts to the previews post, then a quote is not needed.
Also some people like to quote a full post, even if the answer is related to only one or a few lines of it.
But ok, this my personal opinion. I don't want to hijack this thread now :wink: