Scientific Graphs, Navigation

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
AntonTheManton
Greenskin

Scientific Graphs, Navigation

Post by AntonTheManton »

Some graphs for displaying navigation system details in real-time. When interesting phenomena spotted data plots can be exported (when F3 is hit) to GNUPlot or CSV formats. It's part of my PhD work. The graphs don't have y-axis labels because I couldn't be bothered incorporating rotated text. It does export them though.

I've built line graphs, fuzzy set membership graphs, scrolling line graphs (like CPU monitors) and some that scale automatically. In the Fuzzy set membership graphs the green line is the real value - the other lines are membership functions for different sets.
Last edited by AntonTheManton on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metaldev
Orc Shaman

Post by metaldev »

anton, your pictures can't be seen :?
AntonTheManton
Greenskin

not pics

Post by AntonTheManton »

Hmm - okay guess they were too big. You can now click on thumbnails instead.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Looks like there's some neat pathing AI going on.

Those graphs look nice. How are you drawing them?
AntonTheManton
Greenskin

Graphs

Post by AntonTheManton »

The graphs are made up of the same thing that I used for 3d lines - ManualObject, which I projected with the identity matrix so that they sit in front of the camera.

It's quite easy to add more points to ManualObject lines so they were ideal. I just keep track of all the real values of these points so that I can optimise or save the whole plot later. I even did the axis lines with the same method.

The backgrounds are just overlays but there's no reason that you couldn't use another gui system if you wanted to tie it in with your existing one or do some sort of speed optimisation (it doesn't seem to make any diffference in my sim).

I'm using it to track what's happening with my navigation - it's a hybrid system that does kind of smooth path motion as well as long-distance planning.
NoodlesOnMyBack
Goblin

Post by NoodlesOnMyBack »

I cant see the pictures, not even when i copied the link from the html code... weird...
Lee04
Minaton

Great this can be used for preformance graphs using hardware

Post by Lee04 »

Great Ogre could make use of this for preformance graphs using hardware counters in the graphics card.

Good work
Ph.D. student in game development
Kentamanos
Minaton

Post by Kentamanos »

Very cool looking AntonTheManton :).
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

That looks really interesting AntonTheManton - Is the fuzzy stuff related to machine learning?
alexdbkim
Greenskin

Post by alexdbkim »

I'm really interested in the part showing various graphs and oscilloscopes. =)

cheers,
Alexander Dong Back Kim - ê¹€ë
AntonTheManton
Greenskin

Re: Machine learning

Post by AntonTheManton »

No machine learning implemented yet but as the fuzzy navigation system requires a lot of manual tuning to get right we have just proposed a genetic algorithm for automatic calibration. The idea is that if we can record the collisions and time taken over some custom-made obstacle course then we have a fitness function to self-improve the character's motion. I'm looking at building a generic motion/collision avoidance system that is scalable and auto-tuning so that it will apply to a range of different 3d environments and animated characters - not just to vehicles.
pratty70
Gnome

Post by pratty70 »

It's something I want to do in my system - graph results from the game running - any chance of releasing some code to ease the process of having to develope line graphing myself?

Cheers

Chris
AntonTheManton
Greenskin

Code

Post by AntonTheManton »

Yeah it's all in my Sourceforge project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/markiv/
If you checkout or browse the source it's under markiv/trunk/main/src/gui/LineGraphWidget
there are one or two source dependencies (LabelWidget I think)
A
pratty70
Gnome

Post by pratty70 »

Nice one AntonTheManton - many thanks

Chris