THP Project [video added]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
ebol
Halfling

THP Project [video added]

Post by ebol »

Hi everyone!

After being a while at Ogre forums, I finally have something worth showing in this thread. This is my Ogre based rendering engine if I can call it this way. This little project implements: deferred shading, normal mapping, dynamic depth shadowing (for spotlight and pointlights), HDR rendering with bloom effect, lightshafts rendering and PixelMotionBlur.

So here it is, tell me what you think, and forgive my poor level designing, modeling and texturing skills, I did my best, but I'm actually a C++/Cg programmer (still more C++ then Cg to be honest ;)) and I worked alone on this project.

New screenshots (29.04)
softShadowsQuality=None

softShadowsQuality=Good

softShadowsQuality=Best

Video (5.05)
And here's a 2 min video from the engine. I uploaded it in high resolution, so you can switch to HD version of the movie on youtube if you like. The video itself is not perfect, I got some strange bugs when capturing it, I also noticed some artifacts after youtube's recompression. So just keep that in mind ;) and sorry for all this, but I never needed to upload videos before and perhaps I messed up something :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rcYgIMkjQ8

Hope you like it :)
Last edited by ebol on Tue May 05, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MartinBean
Gnome

Re: THP Project

Post by MartinBean »

Looks really good.

Just an engine, or are you creating a game?
I have not failed... I've just found many ways that wont work
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

Wow, some of those shots look absolutely fantastic-- great work!

What kind of FPS are you getting?
Ruud v A
Gremlin

Post by Ruud v A »

The Graphics look great :D
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

Looking Amazing! Well done

Video ( and sourcecode :wink: ) please!

I've been struggling to get a deferred render system going for a while - any useful tips?
Last edited by bharling on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was here
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Very noice! :)

It's not often we see some quality indoor rendering. I hope this proves that Ogre isn't a limitation, it's the shaders and art that make the graphics... We need more shader programmers like you to show off Ogre's potential. 8)
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Wow, just wow :shock: ! If I'd only be as good as you guys in writing shaders :? ...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

Wow. Awesome stuff!
Reminds me of the rendering work explained in Journal of Ysaneya. Good job!

[Shameless-Self-Advertisement]
I have a GSoC project that is focusing on improving ogre's compositor framework, and deferred shading is one of the primary targets. I'd really like to talk to you about how you did what you did, mainly in terms of which ogre components did you use, and what manual programmatic layer you had to create on top of it to get the desired effect.
Expect a PM from me soon :)
[/Shameless-Self-Advertisement]
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

ebol wrote:This little project implements: deferred shading, normal mapping, dynamic depth shadowing (for spotlight and pointlights), HDR rendering with bloom effect, lightshafts rendering and PixelMotionBlur.
That's an impressive list!
And judging from the screenshots, it's not just buzzwords. Well done! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

That's some of the best lighting and shadows I've seen in an Ogre project. Very nicely done.
ebol
Halfling

Post by ebol »

Thank you all for so many kind words :) I'm glad you liked my work.

@MartinBean
At this moment the most important thing in this project is the rendering engine itself, since this project is a part of my Master's Thesis "Aplication of Selected Methods of Image Rendering in Computer Games". Those screenshots are taken from a very little demo (5 rooms in level), where you can simply walk around the level. Demo is using havok physics for player controler, door triggers etc, there's also some animated lights in the scene. So generally, for now I'm not making a game, but the only thing stopping me, is that I don't want to spoil the overall look by using some crapy self modeled/animated characters or something :?, but I'm sure I'll make this at least a mini game one day :)

@ajs15822
Generally speaking, it's playable (FPS>30) in 1680x1050 resolution on stock radeon HD4850. To be more specific, on screenshots 1-9 there's ~110 fps, worst case scenario (screenshot 10) - about ~40. Its not that much as I expected, but I'm still working on it, looking for botlenecks and ways to optimize it - for now it seems that rendering to MRT's itself is the worst part of the rendering pipeline.

@bharling
Hmm, actually I dont remember any particular big problems when developing this, so maybe you can tell me what exactly are you struggling with, maybe then I could help more.

Once again, thank you all for your comments :)
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

once again, awesome ( another scan over the shots .. )

Are you using any sort of GI to get bounced light, or is it just a large quantity of lights in the scene? To my eyes the lighting is very realistic, it would be great to see this applied to a larger scene.
Was here
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nice work, be sure to link your thesis when you're done! :)
ebol
Halfling

Post by ebol »

Honestly I doubt that my thesis would be useful for anyone here (well, maybe a few people), I'm graduating from Poznan's University of Technology (Poland) and the thesis will be written in my native language ;)

@bharling
No GI here, the bigger room (screenshots >=10) is affected by 20 spotlights and 3 pointlights, but thats it.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

ebol wrote:Honestly I doubt that my thesis would be useful for anyone here (well, maybe a few people), I'm graduating from Poznan's University of Technology (Poland) and the thesis will be written in my native language ;)
A perfect opportunity to learn Polish. :lol:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
ebol
Halfling

Post by ebol »

I totally forgot to mention that some parts of my engine are configurable - for example, you can rander scene without shadows, with shadows only for spotlight or for all lights. But the more important feature is optional support for soft shadows, nothing fancy, you've seen it all before ;) but I added 3 new screenshots with different shadows settings to the first post.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Hi!

The screenshots (also the new one) look very good. I hope you stay in touch with Noman so that the GSoC project may benefit from your experience.
:D

xad
ebol
Halfling

Re: THP Project [video added]

Post by ebol »

I added short video of the engine, it shows little more then screenshots, you can check first post for links.
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

Video is fantastic :)
Was here
trnrez
Greenskin

Post by trnrez »

:shock: Looks amazing :shock:

Keep up the amazingly great work!!
Image Image
nadako
Gnoblar

Post by nadako »

It's so cool! Especially, I love the motion blur thing (however it's probably the simpliest one to implement). Is it cross-platform?
OGRE3D beginner
quanganht

Post by quanganht »

So owesome! Are u going to publicize the source code ?
ebol
Halfling

Post by ebol »

Thanks everyone :)

@nadako
Its hard to tell what is the most advanced effect to implement, since you know how it is, once you finish something you loose perspective, and since its done, it couldn't be that hard to do;) But to answer your question more directly, in DirectX SDK the Pixel Motion Blur sample is marked as advanced. About this project being cross-platform - well, it could be since Ogre and OIS works on Win, Linux and Mac, all the shaders are written in Cg, so no problem here either, but the project is currently for Windows only.

And about the source code - I'm not sure yet, still thinking about it, possibly one day, when everything is polished and optimized.
xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Hi ebol!

I think the most interesting part of your work is not the application itself (besides the fact that everybody could try it out and see it in action directly) but the advanced concepts you used to implement all the effects via deferred shading in Ogre. I would really appreciate if your experience could go into the current GSoC project which targets to create a showcase like your application with a next gen compositor system.
Without knowing your code I just hope that with the new compositor system the work you did (and still do) can be done more consistent with the rest of Ogre and maybe with less effort.

Just my 2 cents, xad
ebol
Halfling

Post by ebol »

@xadhoom

Actually I already exchanged some PM's with Noman, he said that he has everytthing he needs from me for now. If I may quote:
Noman wrote:I have a good idea of the high-level decisions that you made, and it gives me an idea of what Ogre would need to allow in order to make work like you did more modular and reusable.
So lets wait and see :) I'm curious to see the results of his GSoC project, I'm sure its worth waiting for it :)