ROAM Planet rendering

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
ultramedia
Halfling

Re: ROAM Planet rendering

Post by ultramedia »

<whisper>sentinel</whisper>
Sovaka
Greenskin

Post by Sovaka »

ultramedia wrote:<whisper>sentinel</whisper>
Naww bastage... That is going to take another hour or so to rerender :(
Sovaka
Greenskin

Post by Sovaka »

There we go... Now with correct spelling :p

LordBaal
Halfling

Post by LordBaal »

ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

You might have also spelled Genesis wrong...
Sovaka
Greenskin

Post by Sovaka »

ultramedia wrote:You might have also spelled Genesis wrong...
Ha! Good one Ultramedia :p
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

;)

Found an even better ocean image too btw, this one has a boat in it that you can use as a frame of reference for the scale...

DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

Thank's ultramedia,

OH, here's a nice pic ....
Pandora anyone ?
Pandora anyone ?
Pandora_Approach_v_0-01.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 15396 times
This is version 0.001 of the Pandora approach I want to achieve, add in trees and shit, and I think it is getting close.
Allot of volumetrics going on in this shot.

(To view the pic in full 1920x1080, right click on it, and select to view in new tab or save it out then look at it).

Alex
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

Nice :)

It's my new desktop pic now!
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Simply wow.
You're right ultramedia, it really is desktop material ;)
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

nice work ... going good, on the schedule the release is for when ? at least the beta ?
Sovaka
Greenskin

Post by Sovaka »

UT2007 wrote:nice work ... going good, on the schedule the release is for when ? at least the beta ?
We're working on Valve time.
DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

G'day guys,

Something to look at ...

[youtube]ZEYvkA-wQA8[/youtube]

I've been getting this thing ready for user customization, and I had so much fun dicking around with it, I though I would pop up a video of how it works, you can now hit a key, and it will change the seed of the planet to a random seed in between 9999999 and 999, I think that will be plenty for what we a planning. The beauty is, you can change this planet whenever you feel like it, as you will see, flying, walking, doesn't really matter.

OH, I have a key setup to make it always go back to Baal from all the previous shots.

Hope you like it.

Alex
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

Wow... watching you change the seed like that on the fly is just hypnotic...
DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

G'day ultramedia,

Yeah, it is mate, it took a bit of nutting out, but I wanted this thing to modify itself on the fly, so when people are designing their own planets, they can either look from afar and get a good looking one from space, or get right up and close, and find a good spot / look. If you look in top left of the video under the Split: 32, you will see Seed: ??????, if you find a good planet you like, jot down the seed, and then if we manually enter that seed, that planet will pop right back up. In this demo, if I hit the number 9 key, it picks a random number for the seed, and if you hit the number 0 key, Baal will pop up every time, I thoroughly tested it too, flying along towards a mountain range in the distance, I hit the 9 key several times, then hit the 0 key and Baal came right back up, even looking right at the ground, where the crappy noise transition between surfaces could be seen I could hit 9 and ocean would popup, then hit 0 and the ground comes back up where it was, and even the noise in the transition was exactly the same, so I was happy about that.

The other beauty is I can change the resolution of the mesh on the fly too, at Split: 32, that means that each page of the planet goes through 32 splits at it's highest and on this planet that equates to approximately 4 meter resolution when on the ground. I tried it at Split: 33 and that worked out to around 2 meter resolution and 34 gave me around 1 meter, and the planet held its own and kept humming along, I tried it also where I ended up at around 10 cm res, and it worked fine, I just topped out my vertex cache that I use, I could increase it I suppose, but 2 - 4 meter resolution is plenty considering this engine uses a grand total of around 80 mb all up, including Triangle and Diamond data lists, one of my goals with this thing is to keep it cheap enough that it might even be able to run one of these newer phones.

I know the video was pretty crappy, and I will make a newer one, where I will explain a few things, and show you what's going on, instead of just pressing buttons, and viewers having to guess what I'm trying to show you. Especially at the end, I forgot what the hot key was to stop recording the screen. :oops:

Alex
aguru
Goblin

Post by aguru »

Thanks for sharing that vid. It really makes on think about what wonderful games one could create with tech like this. :D
DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

G'day guys,

Just been fiddling with a few things (mainly game loop stuff) and I was just switching options and things, and came across this shot of an alien planet, with low foggy dense atmosphere.
A really nice looking alien atmosphere.
A really nice looking alien atmosphere.
Alien-Atmosphere.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 15169 times
I know I have to fiddle with the volumetric stuff with proximity with the terrain (note transparency bands near tops of mountains) but still, it looks nice I think.
A beautiful alien velley.
A beautiful alien velley.
Alien-Atmosphere02.jpg (95.44 KiB) Viewed 15168 times
Here's another one, mucking around with this seed changing thing is ace.

P.S. I have to stop dicking around with this thing and get back to the main task at hand, otherwise nothing will get done.

Alex
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

Hey there dudes,

I got all "I can't wait anymore" so I went and figured out how to add simplex noise to my much less advanced than yours spherical LOD. It looks cool but runs into trouble with anything bigger than a tennis ball (ok maybe a beachball). So then I was damn, let's go and check out that dude who doing this in Unity. $100 later, I'm trying to decipher some gibberish C# error messages because I'm using Unity Free not the "where am I going to get $1500 dollars from" Pro version.

So... hope you're having more luck than me :roll:
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

Btw, you might want to check out the Aquatica Engine at the bottom of this page:
http://www.magicindie.com/index.html?t=win
DavlexDesign
Orc

Post by DavlexDesign »

Yeah, g'day ultramedia,

Simplex noise is good, I'm looking at adding it into my arsenal of fractals too, looks nice and also I want to add in some of that stuff from Scape Terrain also, there is some really nice stuff there too.

I'm just downloading to have a look at that Aquatica thing you pointed out, could be usefull, but most are designed around postage stamp size stuff, but still using gobs or ram, but I'll see whats what with it anyway. Who knows, I might get some cool ideas from it's parameter system in the editor.
ultramedia wrote: It looks cool but runs into trouble with anything bigger than a tennis ball (ok maybe a beachball)

Yeah, Working in large scales is interesting to say the least, If you are using Ogre for your renderer, compile with double precision enabled for starters, because even if you use double precision in your library for the terrain say, but leave Ogre using floats, then you will have trouble moving your camera along the surface SLOWLY (like walking pace) because the camera will jitter due to floating point errors, especially if you are trying to walk at 1.8 units from the surface of the terrain . If you are using Unity you are out of luck, and will have to work out a scaling mechanism that will bring everything into that precision range. I've catered for that with a scaled model matrix thing that takes the model, looks at its distance from the camera, and uses a "maximum distance to view"/ "minimum distance to view" zone for scaling the models down to fit inside the depth buffer range, and anything in between the camera near clip and the "minimum distance to view" is rendered normally, and anything outside that range is scaled down to fit inside the far clip to look right. Also bare in mind the order of things, A moon for instance, 400,000 km away, won't fit inside your depth buffer really, so you have to scale it down, but leave it at the back end of the scaled zone, so if you have a huge Capitol class ship flying in between you and the moon, you can scale it to fit in that zone, but keep it closer than the moon, so it all renders right.

It's fun keeping it all fluid and stable, and no hassle to the coder using it, this stuff is quite transparent in my setup, you tell the system that the GAS Giant is 20,000,000 km away, and it does the rest, you don't have to worry about it any more. Well that's what I'm trying to achieve, make it all as simple as possible.

P.S> I've also started looking at multiple frustum rendering too, because setting your near clip to say 1 km away, allows you to go out to ridiculous distances as well, so you could render the far stuff with one camera setup, and the close stuff with one that has a near clip of say 10 cm, and a far clip of around 1000 km and it seems to work ok, just means multiple passes, that might be an option for Unity maybe. Because using this approach would still allow the GPU to utilize it's depth buffer optimization system to cull for you to, making it skip the pixel shader pipeline altogether on stuff that is occluded by the stuff in front of it.

I found that on the ground in my system, the logarithmic depth buffer isn't the most optimized method, especially when you are facing a tall mountain, and can't see anything behind it, the GPU still runs into the pixel pipeline for triangles behind that mountain, even if you draw the closer triangles first. I've ditched it for close stuff myself, and dick around with the near far clipping planes now, when running around on the surface.

Alex
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

You'd lol Alex, after *years* of slowly figuring out how to do planet stuff like this in Irrlicht, I only just discovered yesterday that there's no easy way to bring in my characters (no support for FBX). It was the last straw, I'm Ogre all the way now :)
palaslet
Halfling

Post by palaslet »

Hi guys!

Just thought I'd do some CPR on this thread.

I'm starving for some news and nice screenshots :)
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
ultramedia
Halfling

Post by ultramedia »

Sovaka
Greenskin

Post by Sovaka »

Man if it was April 1st, I could have really given you guys a heart attack.
Any other day, it's just cruel ;p

We are working hard at the business side of things so we can get some more talent on board to really kick this off.
We have also devised a Donation Reward system similar to Kickstarter (without the Amazon payment system nightmare).
Hopefully with that, we can get some cash flow to ease our financial burdens.

Engine wise, there hasn't been a lot of graphical changes as we are getting in Havok, Networking, MyGUI, LUA et c.
That way we can work towards a beta release and start the hype machine.

So for the moment, things will be a little quiet.
But I hope to have the business side of things up and for display early next week with a slight site reconfiguration.

Thanks for the ongoing support guys :)
We greatly appreciate it!

Cheers
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Interesting, so you're going for Havok. I assume you will be integrating it with Havok AI and physics?
Are you choosing it for navigation because it also has 3D navigation, which would be very good for space?

Maybe it's a good idea to foresee that H.U.G.E. can also be integrated with other AI/physics middleware in case some potential customers don't like being forced to license Havok middleware.
Developer @ MakeHuman.org