Proun - OUT NOW!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
MrD
Goblin

Re: Proun

Post by MrD »

Oogst wrote:BTW, what is "gtalk"?
Google Talk.
Insimnax Framework - A game framework for OGRE
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

Curses! In my overzealousness I've already created them. Therefore I may as well send them to you anyway!
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Wow! That's indeed pretty overzealous, but also pretty cool! That does make me very curious what you made, so please do upload them! :)

Did you notice that you can already add sounds to the actual game yourself? Proun is very modable. :) The SoundGroups.dat file is a text-file that contains items like these:

Code: Select all

group Finished
sound 0.8 0 finish.wav

group NextLap
sound 0.5 0 nextLAP.wav

group PassOpponent_Slow
sound 0.3 0 passbytraag1.wav
sound 0.3 0 passbytraag2.wav
The groups are defined in code. Each time a group is triggered, one of the sounds for that group is randomly chosen to play. If there are no sounds, then nothing is played. The first number is the volume of the sound (between 0 and 1). The second number is not used here and should just be 0. So to try them in game, you can just put the sounds in the Sounds folder and add them to the SoundGroups.dat file.

The beta version has fewer triggers/groups than my current code version, since I added quite a few. So I am not sure exactly what is there in the beta, but I think it is enough for basic experimenting. :)
My dev blog
Awesomenauts: platforming MOBA (PC/Mac/Linux/XBox360/X1/PS3/PS4)
Blightbound: coop online dungeon crawler (PC)
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
Proun: abstract racing game (PC)
Cello Fortress: mixing game and live cello performance
The Ageless Gate: cello album
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

I hadn't! Guess I'll find out if you support ogg :)

Turns out that you do! Haha, thats pretty neat.
I'll see if i can toss these on my webserver.

GHASP, no Blender exporter?
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

http://hellbat.mine.nu/proun/Proun_Audi ... 5_2010.zip

This is of course before I knew you could add sounds in, and what sounds you /could/ add. Maybe a couple suggestions in there for you as well. ;)
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Cool! I have downloaded it, but I am really busy with coding Swords & Soldiers for PSN right now, so I won't have time to actually check this until the weekend.
My dev blog
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

Not a problem. BTW, thanks for putting those fantastic snippets in the wiki, I've found them invaluable in the past and i'm certain I will in the future! :)
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I finally got back to working on Proun, after not touching it since April. Crunch time at Ronimo is finally over (we had some deadlines for Swords & Soldiers, which we just announced is coming to PSN and PC). I will have considerable spare time in the coming period, so hopefully I can finally finish Proun in the coming months...

I also started a blog to talk about any interesting development stuff I come accorss, which at first will mainly mean Proun. The first real post is on and shows a fix to the leashing that I made yesterday:

blog.oogst3d.net
Xypher wrote:http://hellbat.mine.nu/proun/Proun_Audi ... 5_2010.zip

This is of course before I knew you could add sounds in, and what sounds you /could/ add. Maybe a couple suggestions in there for you as well. ;)
I'm so sorry, I totally didn't get around to checking the sounds yet, really lame of me. :(

I finally checked them today, though, and it sounds pretty nice! I A lot of the samples don't work in the way I implemented the sounds, but I could put in about half of them. It is really funny how you chose a pretty similar style to what Arno (the guy who is making the audio for Proun) has created. Your sound contains slightly more melodic/tonal things. I don't think it works together with the music I have, though, but I imagine that your sound effects would give a really nice meditative flavour to the game when combined with long ambient notes. I especially like the different sounds for finishing that you created, really funny how the 6th place sounds pretty depressed. :)

So, pity I cannot actually use any of this in the game, but it's really cool that you made this stuff! Who knows, maybe some day there might be some opportunity to work together on one of my future hobby projects. :)

Ow, and I love the license file you added. :D
My dev blog
Xypher
Gremlin

Post by Xypher »

I'm glad you liked them, and thanks for the feedback!
I'm presently working on sounds for another project:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 64&start=0

I got with RoadKillGrill after trying it out and being sad at how poor the sounds were. Luckily he informed me that they were simply generic crap that they picked up off the net somewhere.
I've mostly been working on the weapons FX. Not sure when he'll release a new version, but last I heard he was working on getting positional audio implemented. I happen to have the executable for testing and things are starting to look a bit better.

Keep an eye out for it, though! I've come up with some pretty convincing zombie tracks, too... :)
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

In case anyone is interested in how the depth of field blur works in Proun: I made a blogpost about how it works and why it is implemented differently from what most other games do. :)

Depth of field blur in Proun
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Another blogpost! This time about how overbright colours overshine the darker details around them, and the pretty effects that gives. And how I did simple fake HDRI for that. :)

Overbright colours, blur and faking it
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

New blogpost! This time about something totally different: the awesome abstract art that inspired Proun's graphical style. Kandinsky for the win!

Abstract art!
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I'm entering Proun for the Independent Games Festival tomorrow, so I made a new trailer!

Proun trailer #2

And I am doing a lot of last-moment-fixes for that right now. Getting more and more polished. 8)
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I made a new blogpost about Proun! This time a more technical subject: how I tricked collision detection at very high speeds. :)

Dirty collision detection trickery in Proun

It's basically about solving this problem:

My dev blog
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

good luck on IGF!

i think a subtle radial blur would add to the high speed sensation =)
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

The last trailer got quite a few remarks about motion sickness, so I made a blogpost discussing just that. It is actually a lot worse in the trailer than when actually playing the game! I specifically designed Proun's camera system to get as little motion sickness issues as possible:

Designing against motion sickness in Proun

dudeabot wrote:good luck on IGF!

i think a subtle radial blur would add to the high speed sensation =)
I experimented with motion blur, but the DoF already adds a lot of blur to the screen, so even more blur would kind of just blur everything. A radial blur just during boosts may be a good idea, though, to increase the feeling of speed even more. :)
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I recently made both Proun and Swords & Soldiers (on the Playstation 3) work with stereoscopic 3D, so I did a little blogpost about the graphics design things to take into consideration when designing a game for stereoscopic 3D.

Stereoscopic 3D
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

I added a sun rays post effect shader to Proun and I am really happy with how that looks! I also did a blogpost about it, so if you are interested in the extremely simple way in which these things are made, then you can read a little explanation there. :) It even contains a new video!

blogpost about sun rays, with video

My dev blog
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

That looks really awesome, expecially in motion :D
Also, your blog posts are really interesting to read, keep it up!
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Ruud v A
Gremlin

Post by Ruud v A »

As you said yourself, the technique only works when the light source is in the view. You can see this clearly in the video, when the camera rotates and the light source disappears for a little moment. They rays also disappear. That does not look good. Especially when the light source is at the edge of the view, and can disappear and appear quickly. Maybe you could fix this by rendering a larger view, and cropping it, and fade the light source as it gets closer to the edge. Your current effect looks really good for in still pictures, but in video I personally think that this could be distracting, when the rays suddenly disappear.

By the way, the over-bright DOF does look really cool in these pictures.
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

I don't know, I didn't find it that distracting in the video. All in all, I think Proun is really looking quite amazing now, a prime example of what you can get out of "simple" things :)

The one thing I still feel is lacking is a ball that actually looks like it is rolling along. In that video it looks quite static.
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

Ruud v A wrote:As you said yourself, the technique only works when the light source is in the view. You can see this clearly in the video, when the camera rotates and the light source disappears for a little moment. They rays also disappear. That does not look good. Especially when the light source is at the edge of the view, and can disappear and appear quickly. Maybe you could fix this by rendering a larger view, and cropping it, and fade the light source as it gets closer to the edge. Your current effect looks really good for in still pictures, but in video I personally think that this could be distracting, when the rays suddenly disappear.

By the way, the over-bright DOF does look really cool in these pictures.
Well, I noticed that also Red Dead Redemption and Halo: Reach suffer of this limitation, but I can't really say I found it strange before reading your post :D
IMO as Oogst said, such postprocessing effects are more of an "artistic touch" than a real light simulation, so i would say that it's better than nothing.
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Ruud v A wrote:As you said yourself, the technique only works when the light source is in the view. You can see this clearly in the video, when the camera rotates and the light source disappears for a little moment. They rays also disappear. That does not look good. Especially when the light source is at the edge of the view, and can disappear and appear quickly. Maybe you could fix this by rendering a larger view, and cropping it, and fade the light source as it gets closer to the edge. Your current effect looks really good for in still pictures, but in video I personally think that this could be distracting, when the rays suddenly disappear.
Interesting point, because I personally really like the way it enters the screen. It starts as some sort of beam and then grows into a glow, I like that. I think I could fix the problem you see by fading out the effect near the edges, making an object entering the screen less abrupt. However, I kind of like the current effect, so I'm not sure I want to do that...

As for rendering bigger than the actual screen: in terms of performance it wouldn't matter much, since most performance is in the post effects, but isn't it the case that slightly older videocards cannot do rendertextures at higher than screen resolution?

CABAListic wrote:...
The one thing I still feel is lacking is a ball that actually looks like it is rolling along. In that video it looks quite static.
In the current version, it does actually roll, but you only see that at low speeds. At any reasonable speed, the ball easily completes a full rotation in a single frame, which makes rolling the ball look ugly without some serious motion blur. So instead, I only show the rolling at the beginning of the acceleration. I should put that in videos for once, instead of always cutting low speeds it out. :)
My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

New blogpost! The most important aspect of Proun's graphics are the subtle and careful lighting effects, so I posted about some of the things I did with that.

Lighting in Proun

My dev blog
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Last week's blogpost was about the technical side of lighting in Proun. This week, the artistic twin is invited for a blogpost: crazy light colours! Lighting setups in Proun are so weird that I am still surprised it works this well! But it does, so I figured it would be interesting to discuss why green is a great colour for the sun...

Coloured light in Proun

My dev blog