Spacescape - Space Skybox Tool

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Letschki
Gnoblar

Re: Spacescape - Space Skybox Tool

Post by Letschki »

Virus???

Nice tool! I really would like to test it, but the ClamWin Antivirus scanner reports a W32.Virut-29 virus in Spacescape.exe.

I have downloaded the current archive from SourceForge. Can anyone confirm that it is really a virus or is it a false alarm?

After the directory scan i performed a full system file and memory scan and only got the Spacescape.exe reported a W32.Virut-29.

Code: Select all

Scan Started Sun Mar 14 09:15:29 2010
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Source\Tools\Spacescape\Spacescape.exe: W32.Virut-29 FOUND
----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
Known viruses: 728209
Engine version: 0.95.3
Scanned directories: 8
Scanned files: 26
Infected files: 1

Data scanned: 25.62 MB
Data read: 25.56 MB (ratio 1.00:1)
Time: 8.078 sec (0 m 8 s)
--------------------------------------
Completed
--------------------------------------
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Do you really think that there is a virus in it? I certainly do NOT! I know, you can't never be precautious enough nowadays, but (if it alleviates you: my Norton 360 scanner didn't say anything at all).
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Brocan
Orc

Post by Brocan »

Simply and absolutely AMAZING :D :D

Great work and thanks a lot for sharing :D
Matheus Martino
Gremlin

Post by Matheus Martino »

Good progress bar :D

I just tested both the version 0.1 and the new 0.2 and the problem of my keyboard and mouse becoming "locked" for some seconds still persist in version 0.1 but in 0.2 it no long occurs. Do you made some changes to the way the program closes itself? I think you solved my problem, thanks :lol:

Note: AVG Anti-Virus don't detect any virus in that program. It is safe to use.
Excuse me if my english fail!
Aliexn
Gnoblar

Post by Aliexn »

Really nice tool! :D It will be very useful for my project!

I've also tried to compile the spacescape plugin, but the file SpacescapeProgressListener.h is missing.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Now that I've had a chance to poke around this is really neat. The complex nebula is really quite beautiful. Excellent job.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Unfortunately, some antivirus software will incorrectly say the spacescape.exe has/is a virus. I uses a well known .bat to .exe utility and it is also well known that the files it produces are incorrectly detected as viruses by a few virus programs out there. All the .exe does is cd to /app/win/release and run the spacescape.exe program there so if ur virus program doesn't like the other .exe just delete it and run the program directly from the app/win/release folder.

Thanks for the encouraging remarks guys!

If you feel really appreciative you could leave a short review on the projects sourceforge page :)
Ogre API & Manual | Ogre Wiki

blog | website | work

Follow me on twitter @ twitter.com/petrocket
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Aliexn wrote:Really nice tool! :D It will be very useful for my project!

I've also tried to compile the spacescape plugin, but the file SpacescapeProgressListener.h is missing.
just saw this and uploaded the missing file - sorry bout that.

blog | website | work

Aliexn
Gnoblar

Post by Aliexn »

Thank you! it works very well now :D !
bishopnator
Goblin

Post by bishopnator »

bishopnator wrote:My brother made 2 tools for generating skyboxes for space games - you can check that: http://www.assemblerbot.info/version_en ... raphic.php (Skybox raytracer and Skybox generator). Just for info and maybe for some inspiration ;-)
Nice! Is the source code available somewhere? I do want to eventually add the ability to put other things in the backgrounds like custom placed graphics and 3d objects like planets or asteroids with lighting, but I'm probably not going to get to that for a bit.
I asked him for source codes, but he told me, that they're not written very nicely so only bin version of his tools are available. He is working on new raytracer system so he is planning to rework these tools and after this step maybe he will release also source codes :cry:
assemblerbot
Gnoblar

Post by assemblerbot »

Hi everybody,
exactly as bishopnator sad, source code is really not nice, I mean slovak comments, variables in slovak language, math is partly wrong (I've made some mistakes in noise generators and there are also problems in shadowmaps) and it causes bad looking artifacts :(

Now I'm slowly working on GUI for new multicore renderer for skybox nebulae. Command-line version is almost finished but it is really hard to do something with it.

There is a little preview of result from this new renderer :)
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Nice looking nebula assemblerbot! Very impressive!

blog | website | work

Svenstaro
Greenskin

Post by Svenstaro »

Great tools, both of you. Would you mind putting the source into a DVCS to encourage collaboration and improvements from others? I frankly don't mind whether you prefer Git or Mercurial for that or whether you use Github or Bitbucket but SVN/Sourceforge makes adding contributions from others rather hard.

Do either of you plan to maintain the tool cross-platform? Especially in the case of Spacescape it would be rather easy to whip up a CMake project for it to enable building anywhere Ogre itself works. I'd do that for you if you want.
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Svenstaro wrote:Great tools, both of you. Would you mind putting the source into a DVCS to encourage collaboration and improvements from others? I frankly don't mind whether you prefer Git or Mercurial for that or whether you use Github or Bitbucket but SVN/Sourceforge makes adding contributions from others rather hard.

Do either of you plan to maintain the tool cross-platform? Especially in the case of Spacescape it would be rather easy to whip up a CMake project for it to enable building anywhere Ogre itself works. I'd do that for you if you want.
When Ogre moves off Sourceforge to Github/bitbucket, then I'll move the source for Spacescape there too. I definitely want to upgrade the program to use CMake, compile cross platform, and use the latest Ogre version. I haven't created a CMake project before so help would be appreciated.

blog | website | work

Svenstaro
Greenskin

Post by Svenstaro »

It really shouldn't depend on Ogre's own move though. Upgrading to 1.7 shouldn't be too hard either. Let's put this on some DVCS now and let me contribute :).
Svenstaro
Greenskin

Post by Svenstaro »

So now that Ogre switched, will you?
Svenstaro
Greenskin

Post by Svenstaro »

I went ahead and ported this to Ogre 1.7 and made it cross-platform. I added a CMake build system and cleaned up some stuff. My version is hosted over at http://github.com/svenstaro/Spacescape. Check it out :).
jobbernowled
Gnoblar

Post by jobbernowled »

Really like this tool :)

Was wondering if it was possible for you to change the way the six images are named when you export them.

Currently they save as: name_right1, name_left2, name_top3, etc.

Could you change it to: name_rt, name_lf, name_up, etc.?

I ask because this is the standard format used by the short cubic texture attribute in .material scripts. With how they are currently named you either have to rename them all to meet this format or use the long format.

Obviously nothing big, just a small time saver.
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Svenstaro wrote:I went ahead and ported this to Ogre 1.7 and made it cross-platform. I added a CMake build system and cleaned up some stuff. My version is hosted over at http://github.com/svenstaro/Spacescape. Check it out :).
Wow! Thanks - the power of open source hehe. I will definitely check this out as soon.
jobbernowled wrote:Really like this tool :)

Was wondering if it was possible for you to change the way the six images are named when you export them.

Currently they save as: name_right1, name_left2, name_top3, etc.

Could you change it to: name_rt, name_lf, name_up, etc.?

Obviously nothing big, just a small time saver.
Sure, I'd be happy to do that. I meant to name them so they'd be easy to use in Ogre materials so it's just a mistake on my part.

blog | website | work

Gigabeat
Kobold

Post by Gigabeat »

All I can say is beautiful. :D
Steelplume
Gnoblar

Post by Steelplume »

Spectacular!

Unfortunately I have some problem with box axis, when I try to load nebula layers all goes wrong:

And if you try to move the camera box axis appear to be not aligned
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

Steelplume wrote:Spectacular!

Unfortunately I have some problem with box axis, when I try to load nebula layers all goes wrong:

Wow, yeah. This is a very interesting bug. I'll need to know more about your system to find out what's wrong. Can you make a new bug report here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacescape/support and attach your app.log file (in the spacescape/app/win/release folder)? Thanks for trying out the program!

blog | website | work

Svenstaro
Greenskin

Post by Svenstaro »

petrocket, any reason you have not incorporated my changes? Also, any chance I can get push access? I actually care about the other platforms and could maintain them. For my repo, see here: http://github.com/svenstaro/Spacescape

I also made it work on Ogre 1.7. If you do not want to keep developing it, would you have a problem with me making further releases?
Steelplume
Gnoblar

Post by Steelplume »

petrocket wrote:
Steelplume wrote:Spectacular!

Wow, yeah. This is a very interesting bug. I'll need to know more about your system to find out what's wrong. Can you make a new bug report here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacescape/support and attach your app.log file (in the spacescape/app/win/release folder)? Thanks for trying out the program!
All done, application log report recorded.
Thanks for having made your skybox generator :wink:
Sadr
Gnoblar

Post by Sadr »

I'd greatly appreciate a cross-platform version of this. Looks like an outstanding piece of software!

Please merge your work with Svenstaro's, either on GitHub or your own SF repo.