Ogre Meshy 1.6 (Mesh viewer, Windows Installer & Linux sup.)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre Meshy 0.7 RC1 - (formerly wxOgreMeshViewer)

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi all!

A new version is out!! I was [s]pissed off and pwned[/s] exhausted by an [s]unfair[/s] exam at uni this weekend, so after clearing my head why not make a new release?

v0.7 RC1:
  • Release Candidate 1. Removed beta status
  • Added grid
  • Fixed render window's flickering (actually, it was a bug in Ogre) when moving or sizing an adjacent dockable window
  • Fixed absolute file paths not working when loading resources.cfg
  • When loading a different mesh, the old animation information still persisted in the animation window.
  • Final release will have a GUI window to tweak the grid settings. Until then, manually adjust UserSettings.cfg
I called it "RC1" (release candidate 1, in case you someone doesn't know) because I was too lazy to finish the GUI to setup the Grid. Next release will include it. Be happy you can tweak it modifying UserSettings.cfg
The grid is a dirty hack using an alpha tested texture repeated all over a quad plane. I learned that from Sinbad actually :lol:

The importance of the bugfixes were too big to not make a release, hence RC1.

@zeroonea:
The warning is caused by Ogre and nothing can be done about it (but to modify the original mesh so it has only 4 or less weights per vertex)
Nevertheless, this is not a reason for the animation not to show up. I will have a look.
Do the animations in the animation window show up? Or it stays still even though Ogre Meshy seems to be playing it?
Just to be sure, put the skeleton, mesh, and material files in the same folder

@progman:
I won't be fixing 1.7.1 compatibility bugs. But chances are, a file in the Resources folder is missing, the plugins.cfg is missing or missing a key entry, or a CRT version missmatch (that one's damn hard to track down).

Cheers and enjoy the release
Dark Sylinc

Edit: Download links are in the first post of the thread
Edit 2: And thanks for all the compliments!!! I really appreciate it :)
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Thanks for the release..

Btw, if binaries can be done in one exe file (as opposed to one exe and many other DLLs), that would be very helpful. Tools like this are very lovely if they can simple be copied over without worrying the other files (DLLs)... It is even better if it is statically linked to vc runtime so there is no need of vcredist_x86.exe or something like that.
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I'll see what I can do.
I've always used the DLLs, so I would need, for starters, compile Ogre statically.

However, I still make use of the "Resources" folder. Some stuff could be put into a zip, but some other is used by wxWidgets and I don't know if I can put them toghether.
Either way that would leave with 2 files: the exe and the zip.

Packing everything as a resource looks like it could do, but it's a PITA specially when you've got the Express version of Visual Studio.

May be what you're after is an msi installer?
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

What I mean is that I (or anyone else) can simply copy over the executable anywhere they please and OgreMeshy just works. I think I can certainly help by compiling such binary and upload it here. What do you think? :)
And a washed-out dream
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

syedhs wrote:Thanks for the release..

Btw, if binaries can be done in one exe file (as opposed to one exe and many other DLLs), that would be very helpful. Tools like this are very lovely if they can simple be copied over without worrying the other files (DLLs)... It is even better if it is statically linked to vc runtime so there is no need of vcredist_x86.exe or something like that.
That is not a problem if using VC10.
Just copy the runtime dll over and that's it.
Just like the good old vc7.1 days.. :wink:

I've tested it, and it works beautifully. No need to statically link anything. Just put the vc dll there.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

Wouldn't it be more universal to distribute it with the makefiles? like Ogre does. I would really love to have this on linux :D.
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

jacmoe wrote:
syedhs wrote:Thanks for the release..

That is not a problem if using VC10.
Just copy the runtime dll over and that's it.
Just like the good old vc7.1 days.. :wink:

I've tested it, and it works beautifully. No need to statically link anything. Just put the vc dll there.
The proposed binary will have just one file - that is the advantage.
And a washed-out dream
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

toglia wrote:Wouldn't it be more universal to distribute it with the makefiles? like Ogre does. I would really love to have this on linux :D.
Yes. Any volunteers? I'm not very expert in writing CMake files.
I've read a bit and seems easy, but gotta try it or wait for someone to do it for me :)
If I haven't made a mistake, it should compile for linux out of the box as I took proper precautions writing portable code.
syedhs wrote: The proposed binary will have just one file - that is the advantage.
It's not that I don't see the benefits.
I will try to get static binaries for the next release to get the number of dll clutter lower. However I can't promise a single executable solution as, like I said, dealing with resources is a pain the a*s, non portable, and hell harder when you have the express version of visual studio (I'm not complaining, I'm already glad I have it for free. FYI the express edition doesn't come with a resource editor, but you can compile them. Thus you need to work with handmade *.rc files or use third party tools, all of them suck)

But I won't be using static binaries until I write a better plugin loading code which avoids crashing when latest DX9 wasn't found (currently, advanced users can workaround this by editing plugins.cfg. Using static libs would prevent them from doing it)

Cheers
Dark Sylinc
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre Meshy 0.7 - (Src released! formerly wxOgreMeshViewe

Post by dark_sylinc »

Version 0.7 is out!
  • Added grid settings dialog
  • Fixed silent crash when launching with a mesh as a command argument and there were errors
  • Grid width & depth are now in the unit measure the cell size is
Nothing groundbreaking, just the expected changes from 0.7 RC1 to 0.7 that were missing.
I'm planning next release to have easy tweakable lighting setup. The default light makes you miss some details for some models

Cheers, enjoy the release
Dark Sylinc
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre Meshy 0.7 - (Src released! formerly wxOgreMeshViewe

Post by dark_sylinc »

v0.8 sneak peek:

Progress is slow due to other business. Almost everything's working. Particularly the "power" spin control doesn't actually work yet.
The idea is that those lights will get saved in the settings file. Therefore everyone can setup it's own convenient lights as they like, and then reuse it for every mesh they want. Nothing more advanced than that, as this is a mesh viewer, not a scene editor. Lighting editing is added because sometimes some details are lost without proper lighting.

Version 0.8 also fixes an important annoyance: when a material crashes the engine, the viewer now tries to load again but without materials.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre Meshy 0.8 - (Src released! formerly wxOgreMeshViewe

Post by dark_sylinc »

Whoa!! Big electric storm here, shutdown all my equipment and resorted to the Laptop, which the only up to date project was Ogre Meshy. So I worked on the new release:

Version 0.8 is out!
  • Failsafe mesh loading: when materials failed to parse, load the mesh without materials instead of crashing
  • Number of node tracks is now listed in the animations page right next to the animation name
  • Added light panel! Supports editing and saving custom lights
  • Show bones axes on the node track being selected; to hide it select the name of the animation in the selection tree
Showing the axes on the bone was something I wanted to do for a long time, since it's very useful, specially when you're working with TagPoints.
The Light panel helps a lot for those who are testing their materials & shaders and need a particular light, or the default light setup isn't what they like, or you need to spot some details that are missed because of the fixed lighting.

And the lack of failsafe mesh loading was pissing me off on some of my meshes, that was quite a nice improvement.

Enjoy the release!
Cheers
Dark Sylinc
altren
Gnome

Post by altren »

Great job! Very useful and handy tool.
I have small feature request: could you make camera zoom in/zoom out with mouse wheel? It looks easy to implement and it is more habitual for many users.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

altren wrote:Great job! Very useful and handy tool.
I have small feature request: could you make camera zoom in/zoom out with mouse wheel? It looks easy to implement and it is more habitual for many users.
Thanks for the comment and feedback.
Actually the wheel code is there, but for some voodoo reason the program is not receiving the mouse wheel events. May be it's because of Ogre using the window, or a bug in wxWidgets. I haven't tried newer wxWidgets versions nor done a thorough investigation. I prefer the wheel too.
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Do the program accepts a mesh file as command line argument?
If so it would be easy to assign the *.mesh ext with you program and just double click on a mesh to view it.
Also drag & drop mesh files to the wxWidgets window would be nice :)
Great tool btw!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Wolfmanfx wrote:Do the program accepts a mesh file as command line argument?
If so it would be easy to assign the *.mesh ext with you program and just double click on a mesh to view it.
Yes, that's possible since v0.2
Just double click your mesh and in the "open with" dialog, select the path to Ogre Meshy exe's.

I'm planning to add a handy option in the application so that you can enable/disable extension integration
Wolfmanfx wrote: Also drag & drop mesh files to the wxWidgets window would be nice :)
Honestly I haven't looked much into drag & drop, but I don't think it's really thaaat important.
May be in a not-so-distant future.

Thanks for the feedback!
Cheers
tp
Halfling

Post by tp »

Just posting to say that I'm currently working on improving Blender 2.5 Ogre export capabilities and I'm finding your little app very useful. During the process I found that there is NO way of viewing Ogre meshes on a linux system properly, so I'm having to boot into windows to work on this project. Any time you can spare for getting it to run on linux would certainly be appreciated by many.
Michael_GR
Gnoblar

Post by Michael_GR »

Great App! Finally a replacement for LexiView - It was getting a little long in the tooth :-)
Thank you for making it.
And obviously I also have a small request...
Will it be possible to have Ogre Meshy remember the window geometry and the size and visibility of the log and tab windows?
Even if it's only by editing the CFG file, that would be great.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Michael_GR wrote:Will it be possible to have Ogre Meshy remember the window geometry and the size and visibility of the log and tab windows?
Even if it's only by editing the CFG file, that would be great.
Hi! Thanks for the feedback.
I'm so used to the default layout (since I'M the one who defaults it, hehe) that didn't realize it may not be the appropriate one for other users.

Luckily wxWidgets supports saving the layout to a text string. Now your custom layout is saved to GUI_Layout.cfg file. It took only a few minutes to code :)
Will be included in the next release.

Cheers
Dark Sylinc
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

I have a feature request: to add a free moving camera with key WASD or arrow keys.
And a washed-out dream
hartsantler
Greenskin

Post by hartsantler »

Great App Darksylinc!
I have it integrated as a viewer using the blender Ogre addon. It works under wine but only up to ubuntu Lucid, in the latest version of Ubuntu10.10 wine crashes (at least when using nvidia 173 drivers).

Is there a way to build this native on linux?

http://code.google.com/p/blender2ogre/
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

hartsantler wrote:Is there a way to build this native on linux?
The code should compile under linux, or almost everything. My main deferral was not having makefiles. I started writing a CMake file but I left it unfinished.
If someone wants to contribute a CMakeLists.txt for Ogre Meshy I would be happy to fix any compatibility issues in Linux. There shouldn't be many.
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

hartsantler wrote:Great App Darksylinc!
I have it integrated as a viewer using the blender Ogre addon. It works under wine but only up to ubuntu Lucid, in the latest version of Ubuntu10.10 wine crashes (at least when using nvidia 173 drivers).

Is there a way to build this native on linux?

http://code.google.com/p/blender2ogre/
You could just create a simple Makefile for something as small as this - example attached. You'll probably need to update the code to compile/run on Linux.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

If I get around to it, I'll install wxWidgets and try making a set of CMake scripts.
I am Linux bound now, so I need a good mesh viewer. :)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I'm already on it! After a painful installation of wxGTK 2.6 (Debian wanted me to upgrade udev, which in turns means updating to latest kernel... WTF?! I just want a dev library and a few headers. Retarded aptitude)

Also finally got the CMake script working. Yay! Thanks I found a template in the Ogre wiki :)
It's bit "hidden" IMO.

Well, thousands of conflicts because the bloody wxWidgets for Debian was built with wide char support instead of multi byte, while Ogre uses multi byte; so conversion routines had to be placed here and there. Plus a missing math.h header in one of my files.
Now I've stumbled with this bug. Thankfully there's a workaround. Will fix it tomorrow.

Also for some reason most of my header files were filled with 3 invalid (and invisible) characters at the start of the file which was making GCC cry like a baby.

For those who are interested, here's the CMakeLists.txt file, put it in the root directory. Ignore the warnings, it just works(C). I haven't uploaded any fixed version yet, so it won't compile out of the box.

Code: Select all

#-------------------------------------------------------------------
# The contents of this file are placed in the public domain. Feel
# free to make use of it in any way you like.
#-------------------------------------------------------------------

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6.4)
cmake_policy(SET CMP0003 NEW)

# Use relative paths
# This is mostly to reduce path size for command-line limits on windows
if(WIN32)
  # This seems to break Xcode projects so definitely don't enable on Apple builds
  set(CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS true)
  set(CMAKE_SUPPRESS_REGENERATION true)
endif()

if(WIN32)
	set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH "$ENV{OGRE_HOME}/CMake/;${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH}")
endif(WIN32)

if(UNIX)
	set(CMAKE_MODULE_PATH "/usr/local/lib/OGRE/cmake/;${CMAKE_MODULE_PATH}")
endif(UNIX)

if (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE STREQUAL "")
  # CMake defaults to leaving CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE empty. This screws up
  # differentiation between debug and release builds.
  set(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE "RelWithDebInfo" CACHE STRING "Choose the type of build, options are: None (CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS or CMAKE_C_FLAGS used) Debug Release RelWithDebInfo MinSizeRel." FORCE)
endif ()

PROJECT( OgreMeshy )

FIND_PACKAGE(wxWidgets COMPONENTS core base aui REQUIRED)
include( "${wxWidgets_USE_FILE}" )

FIND_PACKAGE(OGRE REQUIRED)
include_directories( ${OGRE_INCLUDE_DIRS} )

ADD_SUBDIRECTORY( "${OgreMeshy_SOURCE_DIR}/src" )
ADD_SUBDIRECTORY( "${OgreMeshy_SOURCE_DIR}/src/Core" )
include_directories( "${OgreMeshy_SOURCE_DIR}/include" )

set (HEADER_FILES
	include/CmdSettings.h
	include/Constants.h
	include/Core/AnimationPanel.h
	include/Core/GridSettingsImpl.h
	include/Core/Panels/LightsPanel.h
	include/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrame.h
	include/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrameImpl.h
	include/Core/wxOgreRenderWindow.h
	include/Core/wxOgreRenderWindowListener.h
	)

set (SOURCE_FILES
	src/main.cpp
	src/Core/AnimationPanel.cpp
	src/Core/GridSettingsImpl.cpp
	src/Core/Panels/LightsPanel.cpp
	src/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrame.cpp
	src/Core/wxOgreMeshViewerMainFrameImpl.cpp
	src/Core/wxOgreRenderWindow.cpp
	)

ADD_EXECUTABLE(OgreMeshy ${HEADER_FILES} ${SOURCE_FILES} )
TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( OgreMeshy ${wxWidgets_LIBRARIES} )
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Awesome! :)
I'm glad that someone found the CMake script useful.