Run3 Game Engine

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Sgw32
Greenskin

Run3 Game Engine

Post by Sgw32 »

Run3 is a powerful real-time game engine that species on first-person shooter games.

Run3 Game Engine is produced and coded by Sgw32, a leader of SGL team.

Run3 combines modern GFX, sound, physics, game developing tools such as map editor.
All technology is runtime, so you don't need to recompile it.

With Run3 you can create your own FPS-shooter game. You doesn't need to be an experienced programmer to start creating games on it, just use
map-editor, write sequence-file and play!

Run3 Rendering:

Run3 supports 6 techniques of shadows, 3 of them are standard OGRE shadows.
The first type of shadow-mapping is Run3Shadow:
Per-pixel lighting with soft shadows with SSAO, normal and specular mapping.
Also Supports many effects, such as Glow, Radial Blur, Color Correction, Drug Effects, Glass Effects.
Run3 supports mirrors.

Run3 Tools(coded by myself):
RunEdit - a map editor
RunRepresent - a model viewer and material editor.
Run3Mat - material converter
AIR3 System - a library for AI(soon open-source)

Run3 Physics:
Run3 uses Newton Game Dynamics, a famous physics engine. We are using modified OgreNewt.

Run3 Sound:
Run3 uses OpenAL and Audiere.
Supported formats:

WAV
MP3
OGG
FLAC
XM
S3M
MOD

A 3d sound using OpenAL.
Can play up to 16 sounds at one time, my own wrapper for OAL dynamicly loads and unloads sounds.
For music Run3 uses Audiere. A large amount of formats are supported.
Run3 can load music modules(XM MOD,etc)

Run3 Map Editor:
RunEdit, a developing map editor. Now supports only object and light placing.
(Screen at first step of development)

Advaced game objects:
Run3 supports triggers, doors, change-levels, buttons, relays and ingame computers,NPCs.
Everything uses Lua!

CaduneTree
Run3 supports CaduneTree studio! You can generate many types of trees using Cadune Tree, and make them in a visual editor. Then you can easily insert them to the game engine!
Greetings to vojtek87 who is a Cadune Tree coder!
A screenshot with trees:

Scripting
Run3 uses Lua, a very popular scripting system. I use it for scenery scripting and computer/weapon/npc programming.
Also, Run3 maps are scripted using XML and configs are scripted in easy Ogre config format.
Lua in Run3 now has many functions in it - you can open/toggle doors, play sounds, turn on/of lights, control NPC.

Artifical Intelligence
Now is in the early state of development. Will support event system and pathfinding, AI relationships and scenes. Now AI supports pathfinding very well.
NPCs will be generating randomly, and one class for NPC will be doing everything, for example, for enemies.

Weapon System
Run3 weapon system is absolutely unique.
Now Run3 supports 4 weapons - a tactical weapon with bullets(for shotguns, smg-s and pistols), super-weapon(for gravity-guns, shock rifles, rail guns etc), melee weapon(just for killing enemies manually, you can make a crowbar, a punch weapon) and Lua Weapon(scripted with lua);
The most interesting feature is that all 4 weapons are the templates, so you can make nearly an infinite count of weapons!
Every weapon from a template has it's own template settings such as muzzle flash material, bullet count, sounds, type of weapon(single shot or auto) and others.
Setting up a weapon is much easier than in any game engine - you need to add just ~10 lines of settings! No scripting no coding!
When Run3 will support moduling, it will be possible to make your own weapons not from a template, but it will be much more difficult for coding.

Water
Run3 is using Ogre Hydrax!
That makes our water system very realistic and we have many prospects with it!

Map system
Run3 map system is very flexible. You can place many types of objects, including primitives and physycs object, lights, particle systems, billboards, clippings. Run3 provides many types of environment settings, such as environment light, fog, sounds, sky.
An important part of map system is sequence files. They conatin nearly full information about gameplay and dynamic events. Using them you can place NPCs, scripts, triggers, doors and many other types of objects.

Run3 uses:
Ogre3d as main 3d-engine
OpenAL as main sound-engine
Newton Game Dynamics as main physics engine
AIR3 System as main AI system, AIR3 System is my AI solution for Ogre3D.
Lua and XML as scripting system
Theora Video as video system
DotScene XTended as map loader
CaduneTree

First game on Run3:http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66538

Screenshots:
More here:
http://www.moddb.com/engines/run3-game-engine
And here:
http://www.moddb.com/games/the-long-way

SGL TEAM

kulik
Gremlin

Re: Run3 Game Engine

Post by kulik »

Cool, I can see a lot of effort behind the screenshots and the technology. Could you provide some ingame video for the lazy and/or Linux-only people?
Sgw32 wrote: Run3 uses:
Ogre3d as main 3d-engine
OpenAL as main sound-engine
Newton Game Dynamics as main physics engine
AIR3 System as main AI system, AIR3 System is my AI solution for Ogre3D.
Lua and XML as scripting system
Theora Video as video system
DotScene XTended as map loader
CaduneTree
and CEGUI quite obviously :P
mpreisler on IRC | CEGUI team member, CEGUI Unified Editor developer, OISB founder
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

looks great, good job!
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Ok I'll write a video. Thanks for compliments.
EDIT:
Yes, I forgot. Of course using CEGUI.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Good stuff. Is it open source or closed source?
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Will be closed source. Some parts can be opened, but only by contacting myself. Run3 will be released free for non-commercial games.
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Run3 is still in development.
I focused on making the game on it, and now I'm working on it. Run3 became consistent for my own needs in game development. But it still has "spaces" in the AI part of game process, though. It is a part I'll work in a near future.
Of course, I'll answer all questions you need :)
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Just a quick note: Enabling Anti-Aliasing will instantly improve the quality of your screenshots ;) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Yes, I tried it, and of course, increasing the image size. It works pretty well :D
Although my computer is from 2008, and FPS is ~5-9 on such settings :( Thus, I often forget about enabling antialiasing and increasing frame size.
Sgw32
Greenskin

Post by Sgw32 »

Run3 is released as an open-source game engine!

Repository link on GitHub:
https://github.com/Sgw32/Run3-Game-Engine

The engine will be useless without a documentation. You can read some articles on Wiki:
https://github.com/Sgw32/Run3-Game-Engine/wiki

The source code is on C++ written in Visual Studio 2003. Unfortunately, it is a very old compiler. Run3 is based on Ogre 1.6.3. The development of Run3, as the development of a first game on Run3 -The Long Way, lasted for years. Although, with documentation, building Run3 is not a difficult task. With a source code, you can make some mods for The Long Way game. API of Lua scripts will be added soon.

Wiki repository will be extended and updated. The near future of engine is being decided. It will depend on a solution, what engine I will use for the future of "The Long Way".

Leave a comment if you have something to say!