SkyX 0.4 [0.4 version released - Over-cloud rendering!]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
robert_sasu
Google Summer of Code Student

Re: SkyX 0.3.1 [0.3.1 version released! + Z-up fork!]

Post by robert_sasu »

Hi, I integrated the SkyX prject (just the volumetric clouds) to our company's project (canadiandatasoft.com - the screenshots are old). I do not want to see the skyline when the is overcast, just want to create the clouds on a dome rather then in a plane. Did somebody try this before ? Do you have any suggestion how to do it ?

p.s. I optimized a little bit the code, by not letting the system to write to texture after the volumetric coulds are done, if using delayedRespone=true. By this I got significant performance boost. If you need the code, I will post it here.
Google Summer of Code 2013 Student
Topic: "DirectX 11 & Tessellation samples"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Assaf Raman
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi, I integrated the SkyX prject (just the volumetric clouds) to our company's project (canadiandatasoft.com - the screenshots are old). I do not want to see the skyline when the is overcast, just want to create the clouds on a dome rather then in a plane. Did somebody try this before ? Do you have any suggestion how to do it ?
SkyX::VClouds::setDistanceFallingParams(...) is what you're looking for ;)
p.s. I optimized a little bit the code, by not letting the system to write to texture after the volumetric coulds are done, if using delayedRespone=true. By this I got significant performance boost. If you need the code, I will post it here.
Great. Send me the patch/source to xavyiy at gmail dot com, I'll include it in the next release!

Xavier
robert_sasu

Post by robert_sasu »

Sorry, I couldn't send the code yet, because I need to change the code as I optimized the general the code for our solution.

I tried a lot of values to set DistanceFallingParams but I couldn't achieve a definite result, I still see the skyline. There is a line between the created clouds and the skyline. Can you help me with some values that might work ? :) I am using a radius of 50000.

Thanks.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

I tried a lot of values to set DistanceFallingParams but I couldn't achieve a definite result, I still see the skyline. There is a line between the created clouds and the skyline. Can you help me with some values that might work ? I am using a radius of 50000.
Well, the distance falling parameter is relative to the camera Y position, so you'll get different visual results depending of the camera height. The idea is to keep the cloud field horizont under the camera XZ plane. Post some pics so I'll have a better idea of what do you need =)
Sorry, I couldn't send the code yet, because I need to change the code as I optimized the general the code for our solution.
Well, I don't know how your company deals with LGPL software, but maybe you use some kind of public repository. If yes, the link would be enough. On the other side, if you need a commercial license, contact me via pm/email.

Xavier
robert_sasu

Post by robert_sasu »

Here is the screenshots of the current volumetric clouds when setted to 100% intensity:

The problem is that I want to hide that line on the skyline, so eveything to be cloudy, if possible.

As for the code, it is not about the company, it is just that I haven't got time to clean the code, there are some other things put in which have to be deleted :P (code parts not in use). I will post the patch, probably here, today or tomorrow. :)
bstone
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by bstone »

Maybe simply use a skybox with the clouds above the horizon line?
robert_sasu

Post by robert_sasu »

I cannot use skybox because we have a lot of specifications, on of them is being able to be inside and fly through or above the clouds.

Here is my minor changeset:

Code: Select all

Constructor:
42a43
> 		, mFinishTime(200.0f)

void DataManager::update(const Ogre::Real &timeSinceLastFrame)
77a81,84
> 		// setting updateTime high enough to do not write from memory to texture so often
> 		if (mFinishTime > -10000.0f) mFinishTime -= timeSinceLastFrame;
> 		if (mFinishTime < 0.0f && mUpdateDone < 5000.0f) _setUpdateTime(10000.0f);
> 

void DataManager::setWheater(const float& Humidity, const float& AverageCloudsSize, const bool& delayedResponse)
299c304
< 
---
> 		mFinishTime = (delayedResponse) ? mUpdateTime * 20.0f : 0.1f;

DataManager.h

99a100,105
> 
> 		inline void _setUpdateTime(const float& UpdateTime)
> 		{
> 			mUpdateTime = UpdateTime;
> 		}
> 

inline void setUpdateTime(const float& UpdateTime)
101a108
> 			mFinishTime = mUpdateTime * 20.0f; // the exact value is around (16 * cloudIntensity) but sometimes it is not done in that time
112a120,129
> 		inline const Ogre::Real& getFinishTime() const
> 		{
> 			return mFinishTime;
> 		}
> 
> 		inline void setFinishTime(const float& finishTime)
> 		{
> 			mFinishTime = finishTime;
> 		}
> 
128c145
< 		    @param delayedResponse false to change wheather conditions over several updates, true to change it at the moment
---
> 		    @param delayedResponse true to change wheather conditions over several updates, false to change it at the moment
274a292,293
> 		/// Cloud creation finish time
> 		float mFinishTime;
The idea behind this is to set the updateTime high after it has finished creating the clouds. Generally the value is around 16 * cloudIntensity, but sometimes it need a little bit more, so that's why I hardcoded with 20 as multiplier.
Another thing is for being able to be above the clouds and to have a good effect, to not see the geometric creation of the clouds, is to rotate parentNode of the sceneNode of the geometryManager. Moreover if you do not want to affect anything else from the sceneManager you create a simple node from the basic scene node which you have passed to the volumetric clouds and you create the scene node from that. Here is the code:

void GeometryManager::create(const Ogre::Vector2& Height, const float& Radius,
		    const Ogre::Radian& Alpha, const Ogre::Radian& Beta, 
            const int& NumberOfBlocks, const int& Na, const int& Nb, const int& Nc)
	{
		remove();

mHeight = Height;
		mRadius = Radius;
		mAlpha = Alpha;
		mBeta = Beta;
		mPhi = Ogre::Math::TWO_PI / NumberOfBlocks;
		mNumberOfBlocks = NumberOfBlocks;
		mNa = Na; mNb = Nb; mNc = Nc;

Ogre::SceneNode *vCloudsGeometryRoot = mVClouds->getSceneNode()->createChildSceneNode();

// Actual creation
		mSceneNode = vCloudsGeometryRoot->createChildSceneNode();

_createGeometry();

mCreated = true;
	}

void GeometryManager::updateGeometry(Ogre::Camera* c, const Ogre::Real& timeSinceLastCameraFrame)
	{
		if (!mCreated)
		{
			return;
		}

bool cameraAboveClouds = false;
		Ogre::Real height = mHeight.x;
		Ogre::Real actualHeight = mHeight.x;
		Ogre::Real mirrorAtHeight = height + mThickness / 2;

Ogre::Vector3 viewerDerivedPosition = c->getDerivedPosition();

// TO DO: RESOLVE CAMREA ABOVE CLOUDS
		if(viewerDerivedPosition.z > mirrorAtHeight)
		{
			mSceneNode->getParentSceneNode()->setScale(1.0, -1.0, 1.0);
			cameraAboveClouds = true;
			actualHeight = -height - mThickness;
		}
		else
		{
			mSceneNode->getParentSceneNode()->setScale(1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
			cameraAboveClouds = false;
		}

mSceneNode->setPosition(-viewerDerivedPosition.x, actualHeight, viewerDerivedPosition.y);

mVClouds->setCameraAboveClouds(cameraAboveClouds);

mCameraAboveClouds = cameraAboveClouds;
		_updateGeometry(c, timeSinceLastCameraFrame);
	}
CameraAboveClouds is a variable for the shader. Here is the code for the shader modification at main_fp (I did it just for the hlsl version):

float3 Final3DCoord = i3DCoord+0.002575*(Noise-0.5f)*2;
	Final3DCoord.z = saturate(Final3DCoord.z);

if (uCameraAbove > 0)
	{
		Final3DCoord.z = 1 - Final3DCoord.z;
	}
I hope I could help with this.

Robert
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

Could you use a distance LOD system with a skyplane starting where the clouds finish?
robert_sasu

Post by robert_sasu »

I have achieved good results with DistanceFallingParams, had to rewrite a little bit of the code to meet a lot of regulations but it is ok now.

But I have one more issue, here is a complex lighting system, and took a lot to create it with a lot of air navigation specifications. And I have some issues of not seeing the lights on planes when there are in the clouds (the plane is still visible).
It seems transparent_sorting is not working. If I set the renderqueu below the main value (50) I cannot go above the clouds as I will not see the field, it does not blend and I am seeing just the clouds.

If renderqueue is above 50 I have lighting issues also while being on ground, the volumetric clouds are rendered above the spotlights:
But in this case I see the lights a little bit even when the plane is in the clouds, there are fading away if the opacity is too high.

I renderqueue is 50 I have good lights on the ground and most of the situations while I am in the air, BUT when there is a creation plane between the camera and the plane the lights disappear:
Lights on the ground:
While on the air, but no slice between the camera and the plane:
On the air, and there is slice between the camera and the plane:

Here is a part of the material, the parts that I changed:

colour_write on
			lighting off

//depth_bias 2
			depth_write on
			depth_check on

//cull_hardware clockwise
			//cull_hardware anticlockwise
			cull_hardware none 
			cull_software none

scene_blend alpha_blend
			alpha_rejection greater 0

transparent_sorting force

fog_override $FogOverride
I've tried a lot of things but nothing resolved my problem. Can anyone help me out with this ? :)

Thanks,
Robert
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@robert_sasu
For the cloud field line at the horizont: try to find out where mDistanceFallingParams is used and modify it for don't being camera-relative. Assuming that your terrain is a plane then it'll work as expected. If it can wait I'll help you with this in a week since next tuesday I've an important exam, so I'll be quite busy this week.

About the patchs: nice :). I'll have a look to them during xmas. About the above-cloud rendering: I've a different approach in my head (which involves goemetry changes rather than scale change, but anyway at the end both should look more or less the same) so I'll be comparing two methods and keep the better one for the next release.

Hydrax news

I want to inform the whole community that -unfortunately- and due to personal funding reasons, the next Hydrax version will be commercial. It has not been an easy decision to me but I don't have any other option - financial things are not going well in Spain and less if you're a student. Hope I'll have the community support regarding this decision.

Btw, next Hydrax version will be comparable to current AAA titles water: AC3, Uncharted 3, etc. A huge step forward for Hydrax. In both: visuals and performance. I have really great ideas to put in practice!

There will be different prices for hobbyist/indie/commercial, the hobbyist version will cost around 50€ and it'll include full source code. I'll start its development after my January exams.

Moreover, all people who have donated to the SkyX project (which paradoxically are all hobbyist/community members and not the big companies using it for simulators) will receive a copy for free.

Xavier
Last edited by Xavyiy on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robert_sasu

Post by robert_sasu »

I have resolved the thing with mDistanceFalling params making it independent from camera :). I am happy I could help you. Now I have that light issue I described above. I want to resolve this _last_ issue by Christmas :D.

Good luck for you exam :)
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Xavyiy wrote: Hydrax news

I want to inform the whole community that -unfortunately- and due to personal funding reasons, the next Hydrax version will be commercial. It has not been an easy decision to me but I don't have any other option - financial things are not going well in Spain and less if you're a student. Hope I'll have the community support regarding this decision.

Btw, next Hydrax version will be comparable to current AAA titles water: AC3, Uncharted 3, etc. A huge step forward for Hydrax. In both: visuals and performance. I have really great ideas to put in practice!

There will be different prices for hobbyist/indie/commercial, the hobbyist version will cost around 50€ and it'll include full source code. I'll start its development after my January exams.

Moreover, all people who have donated to the SkyX project (which paradoxically are all hobbyist/community members and not the big companies using it for simulators) will receive a copy for free.

Xavier
Have you considered crowd funding it will give you a lot faster and won't rely on immediate sales. Also if you do consider that you need to put a 12 month plan there I think not a short term one maybe even consider integrating into other engines to broaden the scope of people who could invest (unity is the obvious one)

I have a friend who has lives in spain doing freelance website work for the lat 10 years and he is probably going to have to come back to england as work is so hard to find there at the moment :(
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

I have no problem purchasing Hydrax library as long as the upcoming version have multiple camera and small water body (not just ocean which follows camera everywhere) features.
In fact Hydrax is complicated enough that it warrants more attention which understandably, requires money :)
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

I think it's about that time to go commercial anyways. Hard work has to pay off some day :)
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Zonder
From my personal experience (SkyX), crowdfunding seems a really good idea if your program is aimed to the end-user and not to developers (ogre3d developers in this case). For example, in SkyX there have been 10 donators in about 6 months for a total of 600€ (so ~100€/month). That's great considering SkyX is not a huge library (although the volumetric clouds have a lot of work on it), but definitively it doesn't cover(nor approach) the number of hours I've invested in the transition from the 0.1 version /(when I've started the crowdfunding) to the current 0.3.

Hydrax(the incoming version) would be quite similar to SkyX regarding its potential users: 70% hobbyist, 15% big simulators, 15% ogre-based engines. So, considering that only hobbyists have funded SkyX (I haven't received any donation from the big companies using it in simulators, 3 as far as I know, nor from ogre-based engines, another 3 ones), I've concluded that crowdfunding is not a real alternative for this kind of product. (Moreover I'll be investing a lot of hours in the Hydrax version).

Instead, a fair price for hobbyists (~50€) combined with a higher price for big simulators and ogre-based engines can be a real financial solution to me (I'm not talking about living from it, but at least cover the development hours).

And for your friend, I really understand his situation. A lot of skilled young people are in that situation: or having a 8h/day engineering-related job for a ridiculous sum of 900€/month or doing something for your own. I've choosen the second one, we will see :)

@syedhs
About multi-camera: yeah, along with hundred of structural changes in order to be at the same level than current AAA titles/engines :)

About small water bodies support, to be done properly it would require another plugin totally different from Hydrax. But no doubt I'll do it in a middle future(1 to 2 years) since I'll need it for the Paradise Engine: small water bodies and rivers.

And very thanks to all for the support!

Xavier
Brocan
Orc

Post by Brocan »

Now i haven't any projects which made use of Sky or Hidrax. But if I do in the future, i'll be glad of pay 50€ for your hard work :wink:
Xavyiy wrote:And for your friend, I really understand his situation. A lot of skilled young people are in that situation: or having a 8h/day engineering-related job for a ridiculous sum of 900€/month
(Ya te digo, menudo desastre... :( )
th3flyboy
Gnoblar

Post by th3flyboy »

The one problem I see with charging is use in open source projects. GPL dual license would be one option, but that would block things that are MIT or Apache 2.0 from using it. It may be wise to do something similar to how QT is licensed. open source with LGPL, and commercial with support.
lightandshadow
Gnoblar

Post by lightandshadow »

SkyX on iPad simulator
SkyX on iPad simulator
iOS Simulator Screen shot Dec 17, 2012 5.16.40 PM.png (111.72 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Spent the weekend working on getting SkyX running on iOS OpenGL ES. I have managed to get the sky dome rendering along with non-volumetric clouds. Frame rates are ~16fps on an iPad 2 and ~10fps on an iPad 3. My application can isn't interactive, so slow frame rates on these devices is not a problem.

However, I have run into an issue with the use of 3D textures in the volumetric cloud fragment shaders since it is not supported on OpenGL ES. From what I've gathered so far, DataManager::_createVolTexture creates a texture of type TEX_TYPE_3D and DataManager::_updateVolTextureData populates it with 20 slices of 128x128 pixel data. One option would be to tile this into a 2D texture, disable mitmaps, then calculate an offset into this 2D texture in the shader. However, the resulting texture size would exceed the max texture size of the iPad 2, which is 2048x2048. I'm wondering what the impact would be to limit this to 16 slices of 64x64, which would allow both uDensity0 and uDensity1 to fit into the max texture size.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@Brocan
Hehe, thanks!

@th3flyboy
The problem of a dual license is that it would leave me in the same situation than now(almost nobody is going to purchase the commercial license having a LGPL one. This is not Qt or a huge software, so the same commercial path cannot be followed here), so unfortunately next Hydrax version will be not available for FOSS (SkyX will still be LGPL).

@lightandshadow
Great to know you've managed to port the shaders to GLES (2 right?). About tiling all volumetric slices into one huge texture, maybe you could use a couple of textures instead of one. But I warn you: the volumetric clouds will absolutely kill your frame rate due to the huge fillrate, and also you'll lose 3d interpolation :/

Keep me updated on that. One time you would have released the sources I'll evaluate if it's worth to add official SkyX GLES support.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Well, the thing is, how likely is it that someone who does not work on a commercial product is going to buy a library? I know I wouldn't, independant of the quality of the library.

A license that says "Open source and free, but you have to pay if you want to use it commercially" surely can do no harm.
If it is free and good and convinces people, they will pay if they need it for a commercial product.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Well the original hydrax will still be open source? The new will just be commercial I do think its a good idea myself the guy needs to live :) Also if he prices decently more people will be more likely to buy it not sure how well spookyboo does with particle universe.

@xavy: I really do think you should consider getting your work to work on unity there is a big user base so more potential clients. Maybe even torque integration (shudder)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
scrawl
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by scrawl »

If the price for hobbyists is decent enough, I would surely buy it. Not to use it for commercial applications, just to play around with it and take a look behind the methods used. :)
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@TheSHEEEP
I understand and respect your point of view, but I know there are people who would gladly pay a fair price for using a robust ocean system even on personal/non-commercial projects. And due to my personal situation, I just can't leave this opportunity. If someone don't want to pay for it, he always can use the old Hydrax version, or make his own alternative. I don't have any other option if I don't want to just end all my ogre-related developments since them takes a lot of time which I could be investing in something else.

@Zonder
At the moment an Unity/Torque/OSG/etc port is absolutely out of the scope. Hydrax(also SkyX) relies a lot on Ogre structure so porting it to another engine would be even harder than just writing a new system from the scratch. Also, I'm working on my own engine/editor (All-in-one editor + scripting, like Unity. The render lib is Ogre, of course) for which I'll be making this new Hydrax version on a first place. I plan going commercial for the end of the summer, so maybe I'll be licensing other plugins in a middle future (who talked about a river plugin? :D ).

@scrawl
Hehe, thanks! Although donors are not going to have to purchase for a hobbyist Hydrax copy ;)
zhuyeaini
Gnoblar

skyX Atmosphere color not right?

Post by zhuyeaini »

hi ,all,when i use skyX,i want to give scene some fog effect,so i set fog color and background color with skyx's api:
const Ogre::Vector3 AtmosphereManager::getColorAt(const Ogre::Vector3& Direction) const

the code is like below:
Ogre::ColourValue CSkyXMgr::getAtmosphereColor()
{
Ogre::ColourValue re;
re.r=1.0f;re.g=1.0f;re.b=1.0f;
if(mSkyX && mControl)
{
Ogre::Vector3 dir = mControl->getSunDirection();
dir.normalise();
Ogre::Vector3 col = mSkyX->getAtmosphereManager()->getColorAt(dir);
re.r= col.x;
re.g= col.y;
re.b= col.z;
}
return re;
}

but the color return by above function is not correct,it looks like always black
someone can help me? thanks
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Xavyiy wrote: @Zonder
At the moment an Unity/Torque/OSG/etc port is absolutely out of the scope. Hydrax(also SkyX) relies a lot on Ogre structure so porting it to another engine would be even harder than just writing a new system from the scratch. Also, I'm working on my own engine/editor (All-in-one editor + scripting, like Unity. The render lib is Ogre, of course) for which I'll be making this new Hydrax version on a first place. I plan going commercial for the end of the summer, so maybe I'll be licensing other plugins in a middle future (who talked about a river plugin? :D ).
Yeah I understand I am just thinking the more engines the more sales possibility. I don't personally want any of them :)