Tainted Fate - unveiling of my new game!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
SickBrick
Halfling

Re: Tainted Fate - unveiling of my new game!

Post by SickBrick »

Greets people. Here's an update to what's been going on with the development of Tainted Fate, so if anyone's interested:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/taintedfat ... ing-better

In short I acquired the domain http://www.misfitvillage.com and put tainted fate's blog\website there, you can also contact me at mladen@misfitvillage.com now.
As for the game: dynamic objects now make sounds when they fall and come in contact with stuff, I made a hand model to hold the lantern, a million other things I can't remember right now. There will probably be a new pre-alpha\tech demo soon if I can find a programmer who is willing to work with me for free until the game comes out (I "fired" the last one because he didn't do almost anything in four months). Peace out!
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

That's just awesome. The game reminds me of Dear Esther, which is an amazing game.

And you also get my respect for being in a part of the world where game development is not, well... developed.

I hope you guys succeed, and I'm glad you're getting some news exposure. :)
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Thanks a lot, man :D
holocronweaver
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by holocronweaver »

Sorry I missed your Indiegogo campaign. Any chance you will try crowd funding again? Perhaps you will have better success by getting media exposure. I do not believe I have heard of your project outside of the Ogre forums. I will definitely be keeping tabs on this game.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Well getting media exposure is hard. I regularly post news on IndieDB and forums indie game related forums. Sending emails to news sites like joystiq, kotaku, RPS and others hasn't gotten me a single post about the game on their sites.
I want to do a Kickstarter, but I'm from Croatia, so that's a no-go. And Indiegogo screwed me last time by returning all the pledges to people :\
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Yo. I'm bringing you big news about Tainted Fate.
Tainted Fate is not a linear horror adventure anymore, it's an open world horror adventure. Wooo!!!
The whole island will be one big map without loading times, there will be NPC side-quests, there will be day-night transitions, there will be sleeping until dawn in safehouses so the monsters don't bite you and there will be chainsaws.
More about all that here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/taintedfat ... open-world
I hope you're as happy with this news as I am with the fact that I finally understand what Tainted Fate needed to be different. I feel as though the game will now be all it was meant to be.
Also there will be a new Pre-Alpha Demo soon because there is a lot new functionality in the game for you to try out.
Peace!
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

SickBrick wrote:there will be chainsaws
This should be the game title (or subtitle).

I am really looking forward to seeing this new approach come to fruition. Sounds like the scary factor is gonna go up a few notches - awesome. :twisted:
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Greetings people. I am bringing you a new version of Tainted Fate's Pre-Alpha! There are many new things for you to try out. It is available for Windows and Mac:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/taintedfate/downloads
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Here's the newest update in video form for people who don't want to mess around with downloading\playing it:
[youtube]Y599rUdvVzQ[/youtube]
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

Nice normal mapping on some of the textures. Generally the texture work already looks good. I am not sure the monster on the camcorder screen needs such a pronounced penis, unless he is a sexual harassment monster, in which case carry on.

The general feel of the game reminds me of the Elder Scrolls Series, including the way items are picked up.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

The camcorder screen is temporary :D It will actually render the scene from the camera's lens when it'll be done.
Anyway, I've got a new video for you, it shows day and night cycling. This will not be purely cosmetic, but will have gameplay consequences.
[youtube]2XB57eupvmU[/youtube]
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

We've got some great news for you guys! This will be especially interesting for my Croatian bros here.

I jumped at the opportunity to be at the Infogamer Expo here in Croatia from 14-th to 17-th November. We will be showing off Tainted Fate and giving away free games, t-shirts and the like.
There will be loads of people there. Ubisoft and Wargaming are also coming :D

I have started working on the stand already. Here's a sneak peek:

Of course we are also working on the game non-stop. There will be one final free Pre-Alpha version for you to play soon.
Since I've started working on the puzzles and story elements and adding them in the game, it wouldn't be cool if you could see that stuff in the Pre-Alpha since it would spoil a lot of stuff in the full game for you.
We have full day\night cycling working, dynamic models don't go through walls any more,...
The concept artist is also hard at work. Here's some of the new stuff from him:

That's it, cheers!
Last edited by SickBrick on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

Wish I could attend. Would you mind recounting your experience at the expo afterwards?

Also, don't forget to post the final display stand! I had never even considered making a stand for my game. Arts and crafts for indie game devs? Sounds fun!
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

I'll post pictures afterwards, probably make a little video too. it's a pretty big thing for me.
I'm a graphic designer by trade, so making physical stuff for my game is pretty fun and challenging.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Here's the stand all ready for tomorrow's opening.

Yes, Ubisoft is right behind me.
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

Was Twilight Zone a source of inspiration for the lettering?

Have a good time man! Excited to hear how things go. Also curious what is unique to a Croatian trade show.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Hey people, we're back from the InfoGamer expo and wanted to share our experience.
The expo was a blast! We showed off Tainted Fate and SickBrick and everybody loved it! Although exhausting as hell, it was really fun. We also sold more than a hundred SickBrick+TFate Alpha DVDs for Pay What You Want.

Here's a short recap video to show you the atmosphere and highlights I managed to capture:
[youtube]9C5WcQkONts[/youtube]

On sunday I was on the main stage giving a speech about how I got into game development. Also a fun watch:
[youtube]RWRR9JsxZsg[/youtube]

We even snagged a few goodies on giveaways:

All the photos from the expo are on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/MisfitVillage
if you're awesome, give it a like. Here's a selection of the best ones:

That's about it. If you're interested in anything about the expo, ask away!
holocronweaver

Post by holocronweaver »

Looks like a ton of fun! Good job on the speech. I was expecting more applause when you mentioned Croteam. :)

What was the ratio between indies to corps? How many dev groups / soloists attended? Also, I notice you used several hardware setups to allow gamers to test however they feel comfortable. Which was most popular? Using a game pad?
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

Good work on that, you look pretty comfortable talking on stage; just a little bit of fidgeting with your feet though :)

Did you get many people talking to you after that? Looks like there was quite a young crowd there.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Most people already talked to me before that, I was on stage the last day. I drank a Red Bull before going on stage, not the wisest choice, that's why I'm dancing and doing rapper moves with my hands :D
In Croatia PC is the most used gaming machine from what I know, so most people used a mouse and keyboard, although a lot of people used the gamepad too.
Only two of us indies showed up (although five signed up), but there were Gamepires (Gas Guzzlers), Ironward (Red Solstice), a few more which are considered Indie on the internet, but are considered real companies in Croatia :D
Ubisoft, Wargaming, Sony, Samsung and a few others were the big league guys.
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Almost forgot! There's a new Pre-Alpha of Tainted Fate for you to try out. There's hundreds of changes (the biggest ones are temporary enemies, weapons and events). This is the Pre-Alpha that was shown at the expo.
Tainted Fate Pre-Alpha 5 for Windows:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/taintedfat ... -5-windows

Tainted Fate Pre-Alpha 5 for Mac:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/taintedfat ... lpha-5-mac

I will probably release one more Pre-Alpha before I start putting story elements into the game (that's when the pre-alphas will stop so as not to spoil the full game for you).
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Nice job man! You look like you had alot of fun there!
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Indeed I had :D
If you don't have time to download and play the new Pre-Alpha, here are the changes in a neat little youtube video:
[youtube]wsTSQW0TQYI[/youtube]
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

If you want to help the development of TFate and get a game with it, my first game SickBrick is on sale - 1.49$ on Desura nad the IndieGameStand Store. Buy it if you consider yourself cool:
Desura:
http://www.desura.com/games/sickbrick
IGS Store:
https://indiegamestand.com/store/290/sickbrick/
SickBrick
Halfling

Post by SickBrick »

Greets people, sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but game development news is going slow.

We've finished the day and night cycling and I am moving on to making characters and NPC-s. Here's a few screens: (can't show and explain to much, might spoil stuff)

We've also got our first game SickBrick up for grabs on the Groupees Spotlight for a buck or more. So if you want to snag a mediocre sci-fi fps and help Tainted Fate's development in the process, be my guest! http://groupees.com/spotlight12