Paradise Sandbox 1.1 is out!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hello all!

I'm proud to announce that, after 4 years of exciting development, the first public version of Paradise Sandbox is now online!

Paradise Sandbox is a real-time scene-builder & visualization tool aimed at architects and 3D hobbyists who are used to work with 3D CAD software whose output models don't have enough detail/quality for being rendered in real-time with great visual results (Trimble SketchUp, Catia, ...).

Paradise Sandbox will automatically enhance your models with real-time reflections, ambient occlusion, shadows, hundred of lights, water materials... and stunning skies, volumetric clouds, thunderstorms and oceans. Also, you'll be able to change your objects's materials with a simple mouse right-click, using the built-in material database (200+ materials, which will quickly grow in the coming months)!

Main features:
  • Full-featured world editor
  • Import from more than 45 file formats
  • High-quality render client (real-time)
  • AAA hybrid rendering pipeline and state-of-the-art post-processing effects
  • 200+ built-in materials
  • Stunning physically-based oceans, skies and volumetric clouds
  • PRO version at a hobbyist price: 59.95€ until 30th November! (99.95€ after launch offer)
  • FREE version
Finally, mention that a lot of major features are planned for the following 1.X version iterations, including:
  • Timeline-based animation/path system
  • High-quality offline render system
  • Volumetric terrain with editing capabilities

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Twitter: https://twitter.com/paradise3d
Image Download: http://paradise-sandbox.com/#download.php

Thanks to the whole Ogre3D team & community for these awesome years and this exceptional engine!

Please, avoid off-topic questions about Hydrax or SkyX in this thread (Hydrax 2.0 will be available in November, under a commercial licensing scheme)
Last edited by Xavyiy on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: Paradise Sandbox 1.0.0 is now online!

Post by spookyboo »

Congratuations. I will try it.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Congratulation! Its been a long time coming!

I have had a quick play and it seems a very polished app/editor. Have not had much of a play as I am at work, and work is unfortunately for work not play! However a couple of things I noticed,
- DOF_Motionblur compositor does not work on my graphics card, its just red mangled mess! I am currently using it on a geforce 555m,
- It does not work at all on my Intel HD3000 graphics (My laptop uses nvidia optimus, which I hate as I cant get bf3 to work on it!)
- If I try to click file->open whilst running one of the samples, it appears to hang.

Apart from those it looks really good, and I cant wait to get home and have a proper play!

Gus
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@spookyboo
Thanks!

@al2950
Thanks for the feedback! I have estimated it would take a couple of months the task of polishing all these little bugs which only raises under some specific configurations, let's see:
DOF_Motionblur compositor does not work on my graphics card, its just red mangled mess! I am currently using it on a geforce 555m
I guess you've clicked the 'Yes' button when the installer asked if you were using a Nvidia card. The only difference is that in this case the render system is set to OpenGL and if not Nvidia, then DirectX is used.

Why doing that? Because of the app initialization time using DirecX is longer since it doesn't delay the surface creation for each material (vs OpenGL that delays it, Ogre3D behaviour). In graphics terms DX or OGL should be the same, under Nvidia.

The fact is that the system OpenGL GLSL compiler is implemented by GC vendors, which is not the case of DirectX HLSL compiler which is the same for all (DX API). So, in my case I've only Nvidia cards for testing, so the GLSL shaders only runs fine when using the Nvidia GLSL compiler.

Try this: edit 'INSTALL_DIR/PEngine.ini' and replace RenderSystem<OGL> by RenderSystem<DX9> (it's a simple text file).
It does not work at all on my Intel HD3000 graphics (My laptop uses nvidia optimus, which I hate as I cant get bf3 to work on it!)
You can try after switching to the DX9 Render system, but you know that Intel graphics cards are not very good compared to Nvidia/ATI ;)
If I try to click file->open whilst running one of the samples, it appears to hang.
Oops, I'm not able to reproduce it :/

If you continue experimenting with the program, I would love to see the feedback/bug reports at Paradise forums: http://paradise-sandbox.com/forums/ , in order to have all the information in the same place!

Thanks again!

Xavier
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@al2950
I think I know why it hangs when opening another project (actually it's saving the opened one). Solution: run 'Paradise Sandbox.exe' as administrator.

Details: http://paradise-sandbox.com/forums/inde ... =49.msg622

Xavier
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Paradise Sandbox 1.0.1 is now online!

Post by Xavyiy »

Version 1.0.1 just released! That should fix all the permission problems :)
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

As far as being a "full featured world editor" can you list the specific editing capabilities? Thank you
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

drwbns wrote:As far as being a "full featured world editor" can you list the specific editing capabilities? Thank you
Question too wide to be precisely answered. Just test the free version :)
insider
Orc

Post by insider »

Masterpiece, Magnificent, Spectacular, Superb ! :shock:
Describing it in one word does not do justice. :D
Great work Xavyiy ! :D
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

I guess I'm just kind of confused. I've tested it. What's the difference right now between this and Ogitor?
scratchyrice
Gnome

Post by scratchyrice »

@drwbns This is a fully fledged game engine, whereas ogitor is just a scene editor.

Great work Xavyiy!

Cheers

Intel i7 4790k, Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 3080 10GB, 16GB DDR3

Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

@insider
Huge thanks! :)

@drwbns @scratchyrice
More than a game-engine, it's a "showcase engine" == a visualization tool for architects and SketchUp users.

Example:

You model a ship in Trimble SketchUp:

Then, you import it to Paradise Sandbox (drag and drop), and after 10min of placing some lights you end up with this:

The key is that usually these kind of models need a true raytracer in order to look great, since them don't have any kind of normal maps or similar, materials are just a plain diffuse texture. So being able to visualize them with a good quality in real-time is very useful when daily dealing with this kind of development (where usually a single frame takes >20min to be rendered).

Paradise Sandbox is not the first solution for this problem, (see lumion3d), but it's the first one at a hobbyist price (99€ vs 3000€). Of course Paradise Sandbox is not yet very evolved, but it's just a question of time ;)

Cheers,

Xavier
oiram
Halfling

Post by oiram »

wonderful!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

New features:
  • New lens-flare system
  • Fog support
  • Photo-camera behaviour has been added in the high-quality renderer. Press 'C' to save a capture! (Captures are saved in APP_FOLDER/Captures)
  • Camera orbiting behaviour has been added. Hold the middle mouse button while moving the mouse.

Full changelog:
  • [New] NVIDIA drivers are asked to use the high-performance graphics unit if possible
  • [Improvement] The code related to objetcts picking management has been refactored and now is faster, more efficient and also always select the right face.
  • [New] Camera orbit behaviour added. Use the central mouse button in order to orbit around the scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS-Fjo9XZg
  • [New/Improvement] Improved lens-flare system
  • [Improvement] No more waits due to external resource changes when removing a scene.
  • [Fix] Important bug-fix related to multi-monitors on non-Nvidia systems.
  • [New] Fog support
  • [Improvement] Some unused ocean properties has been removed
  • [Fix] Ocean will now work without the foam component
  • [New] Photo-camera mode in high-quality renderer
New documentation available: Download now! http://paradise-sandbox.com/#download.php