[Paradise Sandbox] Christmas scene

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

[Paradise Sandbox] Christmas scene

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014!

I wanted to create a Christmas scene for congratulate the new year to all people and also showcasing the new features included in the new version of Paradise Sandbox (1.2), so here we go:

Note: Since I'm not a modeler, and even if I wanted to do some experiments unfortunately I don't have the time, I have use models from the SketchUp Warehouse (so yes, every model here is from the Warehouse).

NOW SOME IMAGES OF THE SCENE BUILDING PROCESS

Download: http://paradise-sandbox.com/#download.php

BREAKDOWN

Now I will do a complete breakdown of the design process of Paradise Sandbox's Christmas scene, with an special focus on little tricks for making the scene development scene faster.

Sections:
  1. Christmas tree
  2. Tables
  3. Fireplace
  4. Lamp
  5. Wall lights
  6. TV
  7. Candles
1. Christmas tree
At first, this scene is an interior scene, so after creating a new project I just added a scene based on the preset for interiors.

The Christmas tree must to be an high-detailed pine, since we will want to make some captures from close up views, so I did some researches in the warehouse and found these candidates:
  1. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
  2. http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
I just exported them in COLLADA .dae, imported them in Paradise Sandbox, added a couple of point lights (with flare) and also a non auto-oriented billboard as ground quad (temporally), this is how they looked:
(Note: the ambient color and background color have been tweaked a little too, them are properties of the scene)

As you can see, both are good enough for being used as Christmas trees, so we will use the first one since I like it a little more (just a personal choice).

Christmas tree decoration
Now we will focus on the christmas tree decoration, a quick search in the warehouse with the term "Christmas ornament" will give us some nice models.

1. Decoration balls
I have choosen this ball: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

After importing it to Paradise Sandbox, I have played a little with the materials. The model itself is formed by 3 parts: the top handgrip, an inner sphere and the outher sphere. So I just changed the outer sphere material and set the transparent color material, I've also set a semi-transparent color, of course. Now playing with the inner sphere color you can get different color balls.

Here is the result:

After some manual work placing about ten balls here and there, this is the current aspect of our tree. It's important to remark the need of setting a very slow camera speed in order to manipulate small objets, here you can see how:

2. Decoration pendants
This is another type of ornament, but quite nice for our tree: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... evstart=12
In this case, we have just set the material's specular power to 1, in order to have a fully reflective surface.

After placing 5 pendants, this is the result:

3. Star
Now, it's time to add a nice touch to our tree: the top star. It has been done using a 3d model and a billboard.

This is the model used as a star: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... evstart=12

And here is the configuration of the billboard used as light rays:

This is the result after ading the model and the billboard on the top of the tree:

4. Lights
Finally we will add a rush of little point lights to the tree.

In order to make the process easier, we will create strip of lines falling from the top to the botton of the tree and then replicate and rotate the result.

To easily create these lights, we will follow these steps:
  • Create a point light, set the attenuation distance to 0.5 and a little glare (0.1)[/li]
  • Copy-paste the light 16 times and place them like this:[/li]
  • Now we will select the 16 lights using the Project explorer, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.
  • Select these 16 new lights and deselect+select the top one, since we want to use it's place to rotate the whole selection around (that will be the second strip)
  • Enable the rotation gizmo ('G' key) and rotate them some degrees (about 40º)
  • Repeat this process for the rest of strips, and you will end up with something like:

Adding some presents on the bottom part of the three too, we get the following result:

2. Tables
In this scene, there are two tables, both from the Warehouse:

This is the little/auxiliar table: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

And this is the "main" table: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

Note 1: we have used a couple of spotlights in each table to create the shadows produced by the candles, in both avobe images the spotlights are selected in order to highlight this little effect. The candle flame has been created with a simple point light with a fire flame, see the section '7 - Candles' for more details.

Note 2: since we wanted a very reflectant glass material, I increased the specular power to more than the unit, this is the result + comparison. Remember that for directly go to a surface properties you just have to perform a right click on it and the property editor will automatically scroll to the selected subentity.

3. Fireplace
What is a Christmas scene without a fireplace, eh?

The fireplace consists on 5 elements:
  1. The model. From the warehouse: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... evstart=12 (Note that I've changed some materials using the Paradise Sandbox's built-in materials instead)
  2. A tronc model: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0 (The main material has been switched to one wood material that comes with Paradise)
  3. Some billboards with a fire texture (blend type set to 'Add')
  4. A little point light to simulate the fire light inside the fireplace
  5. A spotlight to simulate the light projected to the room
This is a detail image with the spotlight selected:

And here are the details about the billboards used as flames:

4. Lamp
For this scene, I've choosen a really crazy lamp:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/6168/cbih.png

Despite the fact that manually placing 15 spotlights is a crazy task, the building process isn't much more than it. Also, a little spotlight is placed for each spotlight in order to iluminate the inner part of the focus, with a little glare in order to simulate the bulb.

5. Wall lights
The wall lighting consist on 3 groups of lights:
  1. 4 spotlights for the above lighting
  2. 4 spotlights fot the bottom lighting, using the 'ApertureFX.png' texture.
  3. 4 (little) point lights to simulate the light leaking of the bottom spotlights, with glare enabled.

6. TV

The TV consist on three parts:
  1. The TV Model: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0 (Note that the Samsung text has been removed)
  2. A billboard as TV image
  3. A green and little point light as ON LED indicator. A little glare is used.

Billboard (TV image):

Point light (LED indicator):

7. Candles

Note the huge enhancement in Paradise Sandbox: real-time reflections everywhere, HW accelerated transparencies, etc.

The cadle set consist on simply 2 different parts:

1. The main model: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0
This is the original model rendered in SketchUp:

2. One point light per candle flame: in order to simulate the flame light and shape, we use a point light with a little attenuation distance and a flame-like glare texture:

So, in my case I have created a node for the Candle set elements, resulting in:

Note 1: in order to make sure that the glare (flame) is always visible and not hidden by the candle, we set the 'Render queue' property of the candles entity to 49 instead of 50. This trick can be used with any other semi-transparent object

Note 2: Also, you can add a little spotlight to simulate the shadows casted by the candle flame, as we've previously shown in this breakdown.

-------------------

That's all! Hope you've enjoyed it and happy new year again!
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [Paradise Sandbox] Christmas scene

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Merry Christmas! And a great eye candy :)
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

Season greetings to you too!
The scene looks very good, as does your editor.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

That looks beautiful. The kind of thing that I'd love to see running locally. Is there any way that you can share the finished product?
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Nice scene, looks great, and the effort you've put into the lighting is impressive. Would like to see a flythough youtube vid.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

How dare you commercialize xmas!

Oh wait....

Wow, that's incredible workflowyness.
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

Nice work Xavy, thanks for sharing -> downloading :) Merry X-Mas to you too!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi all and thanks for the kind words! =)

@Wolfmanfx @tod @Nauk
Thanks!

@masterfalcon
Technically yes, it's possible. The scenes are run in 'High quality' mode using a separated standalone client, so it's possible to export a project/scene with all the needed assets and the client app.

In fact, the internal code for exporting scenes is done and it's almost functional (I did it a couple of year ago, when it was thought to be a game engine and not an architectural tool -> so being able to export/generate your 'game' was primordial, at that time it worked :roll: ). I will try to add it to the next versions roadmap!

@mkultra333
Well, the framerate is not going to be perfect :P. In this scene, appart from being using extremely unoptimiced models, there are more than 80 lights, 35 of them casting shadows (spotlights), and also a main directional light using cascaded shadow mapping with 4 cascades. Moreover, all this using an hybrid rendering pipeline (forward+deferred), with ssao, raytraced reflections, HDR, lens flare, fxaa, blah blah blah (I'm just trying to justify the fps hehe :twisted: ).

In my machine (laptop with a decent Nvidia 640M), running the scene at 1280x720 with 16x FSAA gives me about 7 fps. More than enough comparing it to the 40min per frame with V-ray for a similar scene. In the editor, this scene gives me about 12-15 fps, largely enough for a smooth building process (it's true, 10+ fps is fine for any editor)

My idea is to implement an animation system for the v1.4 and v1.5 (v1.3 is going to be for better project management and volumetric lighting), so the user will be able to create camera paths and animate nodes (->objects) using visual splines and then render offline videos in extra-high-quality (with huge PCF kernels, etc. About 0.1 to 1 fps, but still orders of magnitude faster than using pure raytraced solutions).

Anyway! I will make a little video of the scene running in the editor and also in the client renderer =) I will post it today or tomorrow :)

@areay
Hehe, yes, I have no forgiveness for trying to commercialize xmas! :D

Cheers!
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Post by drwbns »

Just be careful those stockings don't catch fire :) Nice work Xavyiy :) When is your next release planned for? I'm also confused/ curious about the scene export and where Paradise is tying into the pipeline. Will .scene export be available?
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

drwbns wrote:Just be careful those stockings don't catch fire :) Nice work Xavyiy :) When is your next release planned for? I'm also confused/ curious about the scene export and where Paradise is tying into the pipeline. Will .scene export be available?
Oops, sorry for the confusion: by "export scenes" I just meant being able to create a standalone app which automatically plays the scene. But not being able to export the scene in a interchangable format for load them into another app.

In fact, even if I wanted to do it, it's kind of not possible at all. Paradise Sandbox uses Ogre as render engine, but the whole scene architecture is mapped to its own scene description objects: custom nodes, custom materials, etc. For example, in Paradise Sandbox you only use 8-10 different materials for imported models, but using 'spatial custom properties' you're able to override any material param or texture of the material and customize it per-object. There are also 'scene custom properties' and 'node custom properties', which basically allows the user to override parameters to a determinated node hierarchy or the whole scene.

A related post: http://paradise-sandbox.com/forums/inde ... ic=185.msg

Xavier
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Here is the video =)

[youtube]iwAGljxFbc8[/youtube]
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Looks like a pretty versatile editor.
Well, the framerate is not going to be perfect :P. In this scene, appart from being using extremely unoptimiced models, there are more than 80 lights, 35 of them casting shadows (spotlights), and also a main directional light using cascaded shadow mapping with 4 cascades. Moreover, all this using an hybrid rendering pipeline (forward+deferred), with ssao, raytraced reflections, HDR, lens flare, fxaa, blah blah blah (I'm just trying to justify the fps hehe :twisted: ).
Ah, fair enough. So this particular scene is really intended more for making stills or frame rendering videos, rather than games. Or a person could use such a setup for designing and testing the lighting layout they intend for some architectural project.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Pretty darn cool, Xavyiy.
It's great to see ogre rendering such pretty scenes, and the editor looks solid, too!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

So this particular scene is really intended more for making stills or frame rendering videos, rather than games. Or a person could use such a setup for designing and testing the lighting layout they intend for some architectural project.
Yeah, exactly. The aim of Paradise Sandbox is not games but architectural visualization for both interiors and open door scenes. The upcoming animation system will be a big plus, can't wait to see it done :)

@Jabberwocky
Thanks!
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Here is a preview of volumetric lighting (on/off comparison), coming soon in v1.3:

RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

This is a really wonderful editor, the Christmas scene is really amazing and I'm totally surprised by the fps shown in the video, considering some models could be optimized a lot (I think).

I'm pretty new to Ogre so in order to learn more features to include in my own project, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask:
1.- The shading/lighting is something I have to learn, but so far now the out-of-the-box shading system of Ogre seems very basic to me, for instance, the 1.9 sample #28 "ShaderSystem - Multi Light" is a very improved shading/lighting, that I haven't include in my project thinking that my fps will drop. Did you build your own for the Paradise Sandbox?
2.- What is "PCF kernels"?
3.- The volumetric lighting is just as simple as a 2D texture placed on a billboard or is really a 3d light element that gives the foggy look? maybe I'm wrong but so far now I haven't seen it as part of Ogre.
4.- How do you light the overall scene? looks like a very well Ambient Occlusion implementation, one that I also haven't seen as part of base Ogre.

Sorry if my questions are inconvenient, just trying to learn Ogre not only from basic/advanced tutorials.
Integrated: Ogre3D + dotScene (Blender loader) + MyGUI (UI) + RakNet (Client/Server) + Leap Motion (The future is here!) + StereoManager (3D Anaglyph red-cyan)
WIP: StereoManager (Real 3D) + CCS (Camera Control System) + Sound, experimenting with Android.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi RicoCL, let's see:
1.- The shading/lighting is something I have to learn, but so far now the out-of-the-box shading system of Ogre seems very basic to me, for instance, the 1.9 sample #28 "ShaderSystem - Multi Light" is a very improved shading/lighting, that I haven't include in my project thinking that my fps will drop. Did you build your own for the Paradise Sandbox?
Yes, all materials used in Paradise Sandbox are written by me from the scratch.

In Paradise Sandbox, the final image is the result of an hybrid rendering pipeline. At first, the whole scene is rendered in forward mode using a traditional diffuse+specular+ambientColor material, which only supports one directional light and uses Cascaded Shadow Mapping. This is aimed at open-door scenes, mainly.

Then, a deferred shading pipeline is used to add the contribution of tons of point lights and spotlights at interactive framerates. Finally, and using the information of the GBuffer, the scene is enhanced with a lot of post-processing effects like SSAO, local reflections, anti-aliasing, ...

Also, the whole pipeline uses linear lighting (not the physically-inaccurate gamma lighting which are using all Ogre samples).
2.- What is "PCF kernels"?
Percentage Closer Filtering kernel: http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... _ch11.html
3.- The volumetric lighting is just as simple as a 2D texture placed on a billboard or is really a 3d light element that gives the foggy look? maybe I'm wrong but so far now I haven't seen it as part of Ogre.
Fully volumetric lighting, which means that all will react in a physically-based way even if the camera travels inside light's volume.

Here is a preview of volumetric spotlights, coming soon in Paradise Sandbox 1.3:

[youtube]F9FLOZnddiY[/youtube]

As you can see, it's true volumetric light :)
4.- How do you light the overall scene? looks like a very well Ambient Occlusion implementation, one that I also haven't seen as part of base Ogre.
See the question 1. All effects are my own (AO, reflections, blah blah), so them don't came with Ogre.

Cheers!

Xavier
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Ogre has an SSAO sample.

PS - That volumetric light looks great!
RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

Xavyiy wrote:Hi RicoCL, let's see:
Thanks a lot for the fast reply, "inaccurate" is the perfect word that support my questions and also my concern, I'll have to dig into that sooner than later to improve my Ogre project.
c6burns wrote:Ogre has an SSAO sample.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm very advanced with C++ programming, but totally new to shading/lighting concepts and technics (and ways to include them in my own project).

Anyway, I compiled the 1.9 stable release for VC10, but when I run the sample (from sample browser) I get this error: "Named constants have not been initialized, perhaps a compile error. Source: GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition". Haven't had the time to look into it to solve it.
Integrated: Ogre3D + dotScene (Blender loader) + MyGUI (UI) + RakNet (Client/Server) + Leap Motion (The future is here!) + StereoManager (3D Anaglyph red-cyan)
WIP: StereoManager (Real 3D) + CCS (Camera Control System) + Sound, experimenting with Android.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Thanks for pointing that out, I'm very advanced with C++ programming, but totally new to shading/lighting concepts and technics (and ways to include them in my own project).
Then you're lucky, I touch these topics from a practical point of view in my Ogre3D course (http://paradise-sandbox.com/#course.php). Special mention to the chapter 4: 'Lights and Shadows'. :)
RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

Great! I'll take a look at all the course asap.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Too more cool images from a new scene, a couple of SU-27 flying at low altitude:

(Combustion flames are volumetric lights too)
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

@Xavyiy

I love the volumetric lighting! Any chance you could outline the technique you are using?
RigoCL
Greenskin

Post by RigoCL »

Great SU-27 images.

I want to use this lighting in an underwater ocean scene, to simulate sun shining thru in shallow water... is going to look great in real time with those rays reaching rocks, sand and corals. It's gonna be a long way for me to reach that goal.

Thanks for the fast replays, have cleared the path I must follow.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Hi!
I love the volumetric lighting! Any chance you could outline the technique you are using?
Hehe, thanks =)

Well, it's all about integrate along the ray path using a deferred pipeline. I can't release much more details since I'm still relying on Ogre3D consulting services to pay the bills (situation which should change soon, I'm looking for job atm :D ). I did a similar implemenation but for a traditional forward pipeline, code+demo is available here: http://ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41143

Xavier