Ogre WIP and random screenshot thread (for everyone!)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Ogre WIP and random screenshot thread (for everyone!)

Post by Kojack »

Have you ever felt like uploading a screenshot of some Ogre project but thought "No, it's not really worth a Showcase thread. I won't bother" or "This isn't a complete project, it's just some hack I did and will never release or touch again"?
Well, this thread is for you. Anything, no matter how awesome or crap is valid, as long as it's ogre. No explanations needed (but feel free to add them), just show us what you've been doing.
(This isn't in the Showcase board because it doesn't fit the rule "Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!" and Using Ogre seems more appropriate)

I'll start things off. Some of these are mine, some are from my students.

Image Rocket Zone, a game made by one student programmer and one outsourced student artist, back around 2006. Block based platformer with destructible environments and single player campaign and 4 player deathmatch.

Image A lua script that animates a sinewave of ninjas. I made this as a demo of adding lua to ogre for my students.

Image This was supposed to be a simple aim/messenger/etc style chat program assignment in a networking class, but one student made a 3d world. Good one Andrew! :)

Image An early version of Killbots, my framework for an AI class that lets students write robot dlls then fight each other in an arena. This was from back around 2006. It used Ogre and PhysX.

Image Another pic of Killbots.

Image A newer remake (from scratch) of Killbots, this time using Havok. After one week I was so pissed off with Havok I quit the project. Grrr.

Image No idea what I was doing here, but it looks cool. :)

Image Using fmod to play music (Daft Punk's Superheroes and Robot Rock both work great) with the FFT of the music being used to both animate the ninja and control a grid of boxes (and a green line thing). The ninja plays a crouch animation based on the low bass volume and rotates based on a mid range frequency. Looks almost like he's playing a (low down) drum with his sword. :)

Image I wrote an experimental HalfLife 2 bsp map loader for Ogre. Just a couple of days hack. One day I'm coming back to it.

More on the way, but please join in with some of your own!
insider
Orc

Re: Ogre WIP and random screenshot thread (for everyone!)

Post by insider »

+1
They all look great Kojack :D
Could you make it a sticky thread please :D
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Import/export/reverse engineer edition!

ImageImageImage Test scenes for my much neglected Ogre Sketchup exporter. Getting the texturing right on the bridge in the third pic (wrong in the pic) took a LONG time, since Sketchup doesn't like exposing that kind of thing in a sensible way.

Image The green thing is a creature I made in the game Spore, grabbed using 3D Ripper DX, then exported from Max to Ogre.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage Loading models from the awesome space simulator Orbiter.

ImageImage A test exporter I wrote for Archicad. It worked ok, but I only had a trial 30 day version of Archicad so I didn't bother putting any more effort into it.

Image A model from an artist on the (sadly cancelled) game Project Offset. I found it on the game's forum. A simple Max export, but I wrote the shader it's using.

Image Reverse engineering the Fear 2 model format. That's Alma behind the strategically placed first aid kit. I got simple objects working ok, but character models were troublesome (couldn't get her head or hands working right, they had a different format to the rest of the body or something).

Image A custom STL model loader I wrote to show the Pandora (model file from the Pandora team, but they changed their mind and asked everyone to not spread the file, in case others tried to clone the case). STL has no normals, the smooth look and lighting is due to this having an insane triangle count.

Image Loading a Companion Cube from Portal 2 data files.

Image A turret loaded from Portal 2 data files, with a custom shader I wrote (showing the diffuse, specular, hemisphere and final result).

Image Another shot of my HL2 map loader test.

Image I can't remember what this is. I think it was an attempt at loading Valve binary models directly, instead of using the SMD files like the previous pics. But it could be anything. My memory sucks at times.

Image Ponies originally Garry's Mod models, converted by someone to Blender, then exported into ogre by me. (Part of a joke about changing the Ogre sample media theme)

Image Trying to get the character from the Blender movie Sintel to load. I really need some shaders to make her not look like a zombie. The skeleton really didn't like the Ogre exporters, so she's not rigged. Or I just suck at Blender, no idea what I was doing.

Image Loading part of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs using OgreAssimp (the game used Collada models).

Image Loading the custom format scene file from the Oculus Rift Tuscany demo into Ogre.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Good idea! I'm still far from having enough interesting stuffs to create a thread for my game but I can show some related stuffs here.
This one is a bit old, but it's actually strongly linked to my current game's development:

[youtube]VHFu6q1twtE[/youtube]
This is a simple test environement in the NetRush game. This video demonstrate the combination of several technologies :

- Ogre ( ogre3d.org ) as graphic engine - thanks Sinbad! ;
- Navi/Awesomium ( princeofcode.com ) to generate the textures of the 3D consoles: the display code is HTML/Javascript/CSS rendered in the texture via Chromium/Webkit - thanks Adam! ;
- Falcon (falconpl.org ) as scipt language/engine - thanks Jonnymind! ;
It was a good test to check that what I wanted to do in my game was actually possible and not as complicated as I thought, thanks to all these techs available.

As I focused my retake of this project on fixing the architectural issues first, I don't have a recent screenshot that would be really interesting graphically. I focus on camera movement these days (when I can work on it) so it's not really visual yet... I even just use Ogre Procedural and don't have yet an asset manager (next on my task list).
So I don't think it's even worth showing a screenshot of this, but oh well:

This is from March, I was checking cpu behaviour (not precisely, I know, there was too much cpu usage anyway so it was enough to use the task manager).
A week later I found how to make the cpu usage almost flat (except for the core executing the graphic thread) because there was no reason for most cores to not be flat at the time.
The nodes are moving in a sinusoidal, to check if there is visible slowdowns, but in the real game they will not move.

Here is a screenshot I just made from my build from November:
20131228_netrush - Copy.jpg
20131228_netrush - Copy.jpg (215.92 KiB) Viewed 54337 times
It's ok if you don't understand what's happening, it's not finished at all (links, virus and gui are missing). Complete zones should look like this:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

So I don't think it's even worth showing a screenshot of this, but oh well:
Which makes it perfect for this thread. :)

Cool stuff.

These screenshots weren't made by me. I found them in the bin directories of assignments. Students should really check what files they are submitting. :)
(I censored the language of the network chat program)
Image Image Image
The first two are from 2004, the third one is around 2007-2008.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Good idea!

PS: Moved to "Showcase" section and made sticky.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
insider
Orc

Post by insider »

spacegaier wrote:Good idea!

PS: Moved to "Showcase" section and made sticky.
Thanks spacegaier :D
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

By the way this thread reminds me of the "Beautiful Fails" in TIGSource forum, which is full of awesome and inspiring graphic failures: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26727.0
I don't think a thread like this would be interesting on Ogre forum though.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Wide fov edition.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

These were all made for multi-monitor wide fov. The thumbnails are hiding most of the detail (for example the last two are 5304x971 covering around 150 degrees).
The first two had around 19 cameras rendering to 19 side by side viewports. The next 3 had just 3 cameras. Next was 9 cameras I think (these are from years ago). The last two were 3 cameras rendering into a cubic texture, then a shader doing a cylindrical projection onto the screen.

Klaim wrote:By the way this thread reminds me of the "Beautiful Fails" in TIGSource forum, which is full of awesome and inspiring graphic failures: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26727.0
I don't think a thread like this would be interesting on Ogre forum though.
Because ogre doesn't fail enough? :)

Fail video time:
[youtube]X_RBubYdO6E[/youtube]
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Kojack wrote: Because ogre doesn't fail enough? :)

Fail video time:
Haha ok I see I see. :mrgreen:

I'll note that for when I have nice bugs to show. Unfortunately in my game some feature actually looks like bugs (because they are "hacks" used by opponents to disturb you),
so I end-up with things like that:
netrush_wtf_00.jpg
netrush_wtf_00.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 54183 times
netrush_wtf_01.jpg
netrush_wtf_01.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 54183 times
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Image Dabnis, my proposed ogre mascot back when the current mascot was being made. :)

Image Portal 2 turrets being rendered at a distance. Each turret is around 1m tall, with the camera placed 1km or so away with a tiny fov to zoom in and a very close near plane. The right turrets are rendered normally, the left turrets are using a Log Z shader from the Outerra blog (so the depth buffer is logarithmic, you can have microscopic near plane distances but still maintain precision at huge distances).

Image Portal 2 turrets and the ninja using a ground fog shader I wrote.
shenjoku
Gremlin

Post by shenjoku »

So I was trying to see how difficult it would be to get the segmented multi-light RTSS working in D3D11 and this was the result just running out of the box without any changes. Yeaaahhhhh...Not going to be doing that any time soon. Makes a nifty neon effect though!

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Hehe, looks like something from system shock 1's cyberspace. :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Image Both of these objects are actually just 12 triangles (in cube shape). The right one is a shader that does ray tracing against a sphere formula (the red corners are a debug thing). The left one is ray marching through a distance field (with a sphere distance formula). Both have z values calculated correctly so the virtual objects have correct z buffer.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Playing around with gamma.

Image Default rendering.

Image Render system sRGB enabled (output buffer is converted from linear to exponential colour space).

Image Texture gamma correction enabled (texture input is converted from exponential to linear colour space).

Image Both enabled (textures converted to linear, lighting done in linear space, output converted back to monitor gamma). The skybox is over bright because Ogre doesn't provide a way to use gamma correction on cubic or animated textures.

I miss my red name. Bright green on a green background doesn't stand out as much. :(
Oh well.

Still got more screenshots, I'm just trying to spread them out a bit to keep the thread alive and give others a chance to post.
shadowfeign
Goblin

Post by shadowfeign »

here is what I've got on my game so far. Not very far despite how long its been a project, but I'm moving forward, and I'm starting to get a tiny bit better at c++.
[youtube]tpGOcKSV1xA[/youtube]
ScreenOfDeath
Kobold

Post by ScreenOfDeath »

Hi,

this thread is really great, I didnt want to make a thread here because my project is in the pre pre pre alpha state, thus very incomplete.
Most basics are done, but there are some anyoning time stealing bugs which I dont want to spend time on them yet,
I´m going to implement more game specific objects like enemys, [and their animations] and level specific things and of course, a GUI.

Bomberman 3D (working title) which is a remake of Bomberman 64.
[Here is a thread where I post something when I have nothing to do: http://www.bombermanboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=1839 ]

(It looks like Bomberman would fly, but he doesnt fly, there are no shadows yet)

(Bomb jumping (show videos for bomb bridge jumping)

(One pumped remote blue bomb explosion)

Almost everything is done by me, the Bomberman model is originally by Blaze_The_Hedgehog on turbosquid, but I optimized it.
(I had a model based on that model, but the original model was better, so I optimized it)
Some textures are from cgtextures, seamless-pixels, and of course textures of Particle Universe and their scripts .

Everything else is made by me, which includes: Textures, Rigging, Animation, modeling and of course all coding.

I´m using: Ogre 1.9, PhysX 3.3, Irrklang, Particle Universe, maybe MyGUI (CEGUI is to overloaded for this), maybe a lightwight network sdk.

All models [but Bomberman] and especially the animations are made by me with Blender.

The bomb behaivour is like in Bomberman64, [but much harder to "controll" them] which makes bomb brigdes harder to build. (This is nice and its a desired feature)

Here are some videos about some features [going to add a new video with an enemy an his AI in the next weeks]
(All bugs in the videos are resolved)

I dont want to blow this reply up, so here are only the links to the videos. ( Click them, and you will see Bomberman in action)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KabUf396_Ks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGa5pBzR4nA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE31eB2_WDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YcG9ss-i3s

[Update:]
I forgot to say that everything could change - especially the textures and the modells, so this could be seen as a placeholder for the better models.

[Update:]

Here is a video of the AI in my remake: (Its the basic Spiker AI, which is almost completly the same as in the game. [With its stupidness])
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpxy4uUZMw
Last edited by ScreenOfDeath on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Land editing and beachside bomberman. Cool stuff guys. :)

Image Student project. If you are going to blow up a planet, it needs a BIG explosion.

Image Image Image Image Image Things not exactly working as they should (supporting multiple gpus and platforms is tricky).
Image Sinbad when placed massive distances away from the origin (when floating point precision breaks down).
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Yay, just hit 6000 posts. To celebrate, here's Sinbad meeting a Tachikoma.

If you don't know what a Tachikoma is, here's some footage from the various Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex series and movie: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v17013846CBMfwnQZ

(My ultimate goal for quite a few years has been to make a fully controllable tachikoma physics simulation in ogre, including the cable guns. One day I'll get around to working on it. Then probably get shut down for copyright)
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Haha I love Tachikoma XD (and Fushikoma too, from the original manga/comics)
Daixiwen
Greenskin

Post by Daixiwen »

I'm learning how to use bullet, and I guess that like everyone that plays with a physics engine for the first time, I start by throwing things at other things ;)

Hardware, n.: part of the computer you can kick
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Nice physics.

I also liked that Sinbad-at-float-breakdown-horizon image.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I've spent so many hours in ogre throwing physics objects at other physics objects. :)
fsteff
Kobold

Post by fsteff »

I did some tests with CSM shadows and my own terrain material generator.
For this,I made an anglescript based shader generation system.
Shtuka
Greenskin

Post by Shtuka »

@fsteff: looks very nice! Will you integrate these shadows into Ogre?