Ogre WIP and random screenshot thread (for everyone!)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Ogre WIP and random screenshot thread (for everyone!)

Post by al2950 »

dark_sylinc wrote:Just me playing around with the new HDR filter that will soon be part of Ogre 2.1 (WIP pics)
It is not far off;

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

TBH I love overly exaggerated anamorphic lens flares, despite the hate by some people.

The images there are due to some uncalibrated parameters, and the lack of ambient colour. The objects being lit are burning by the sun and the shadows are in the deep blackness of Mordor. This is causing the auto exposure to go haywire.
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Made some screenshots while checking out (and tweaking some params) from the updated HDR Sample
http://imgur.com/a/p0svy#0
Looks like a christmas tree :)
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Made a 2nd gallery with updated repo version having presets. And just some tweaks for colors.
http://imgur.com/a/kPXtO#0
Bloom is great. I'm using defines for NUM_SAMPLES with Horizontal 17 and Vertical 33.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Crystal Hammer wrote:Made a 2nd gallery with updated repo version having presets. And just some tweaks for colors.
http://imgur.com/a/kPXtO#0
Bloom is great. I'm using defines for NUM_SAMPLES with Horizontal 17 and Vertical 33.
Damn that looks nice. :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

After days of hacking away at bugs and searching for info, I've finally got my Dark Souls map loader mostly working with geometry.
No textures yet (just an ogre texture for testing), but I've got positions, normals, vertex colours (rarely not white) and texture coords working.

The part that's messed me up the longest was placing meshes. I'd load the data, it would look kind of right, but some meshes were placed wrong (wrong position and orientation). I finally tracked down the required data, it's in a different file.
For some reason Dark Souls stores half it's map meshes rotated 30 degrees. Even parts of single objects, for example the dragon bridge in Undead Burg has some parts of it's mesh at 0 degrees and others at 30 degrees (-30 in the file, but it's left handed so 30 in ogre). That's just bizarre, why the hell did their exporter do that?

Textures will require a lot more processing (loading material info, loading the texture packs and decoding them, etc).

madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

First time I hear of meshes rotated only 30 degrees. Usually it is closer to 90*x. Map loaders are cool, to get data and have fun.
Is there a particular reason to for you to work on Dark Soul (maybe a 'pimp my dark soul' incoming) ? Or do you do it just for fun, without precise aim :) ?
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Wow, interesting...
Maybe they had something wrong going on at some point and fixed it with some kind of game-specific hack because it was faster to do.
It happen a lot in japanese game devs. In occidentals too but far less often.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Here's an example: the dragon bridge and the wall where the first boss fight (after the asylum) is.
This is the raw vertex data. The white meshes are supposed to have a rotation of 0 while the green are supposed to have -30 (but I ignored it):

This is with the rotation applied.

Now the bridge pieces line up. I could understand different models being at different angles (houses, etc, that are rotated in an editor for placement and not baked for the world), but when bits of one model like the bridge are split into different files...
Yep, different files. The rotation is only stored as a single value per model file. Inside of a model can be multiple meshes and each mesh can have multiple parts.

Also notice there's a bunch of z fighting. I'm still not sure on that. It's not unneeded models or lod levels being rendered, there's a bunch of places where one model provides some needed geometry, another model provides more, then both duplicate some but with different normals.

I tried loading all the levels at once. I can get a few in, then Ogre dies with a memory error. I should switch to my 64 bit framework (which is also Ogre 2.1 so I could put PBS on it). I did get several loaded at once, they do line up. I was able to go from the firelink shrine all the way through the undead burg. But there's issues with that. All the player traversable geometry lines up, but each map contains low detail meshes of surrounding areas, and they aren't mapped exactly right. For example, the undead burg map contains a low detail mesh of the firelink shrine, because it can be seen in the distance from the top of the wall. Both the undead burg and firelink shrine contain copies of the gargoyle bell tower, but offset by maybe 20m.

As to why I'm doing it... curiosity. I've spent hundreds of hours in DS1 and DS2, I was curious how they stored their landscape. Turns out it's very annoying (probably all for console optimisation).
(If you look back in this topic you'll see screenshots I've done of loading other game data into ogre, like amnesia, stalker, half life 2, Fear 2, Archicad, Orbiter, etc)
Plus I just want to explore the world without being killed (monsters or invaders). :)

My main goal at the moment is to get a working System Shock 2 loader working, so I can explore the levels in VR. There's already a dark engine (used in ss2) ogre viewer available, but it's GPL, so I won't touch any of the code. Some of the info on the game's file formats is useful though.
The problem is that the dark engine is pretty crazy, it was from the early days of 3d hardware, so they did lots of scene management optimisation stuff we don't need anymore.

Hmm, I can't decide if I want to try to add textures to Dark Souls, or resume my System Shock 2 efforts. Plus I'm rewriting my support libraries (to become header only and much better) and they are used heavily for this.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

64 bit ogre 2.0 handled all 18 maps (the entire Dark Souls game, including dlc, but not objects and stuff in the maps, just static world geometry) onscreen at once in wireframe at 3fps. :)
But since every area includes physical sky dome meshes (with different origins), god rays and duplicate distant geometry, the end result is an utter mess. Although it all does line up for the player's path.
Here it is:

If I looked away from that giant mess, it jumped up to 250fps. :)

One way to go is to instead extract the Havok collision meshes. These have no extra useless bits (skyboxes, distant geometry, etc). But they also don't match how the world looks. I'm not trying to recreate Dark Souls as a playable game, I just wanted to fly around looking at it.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I started porting the DS viewer to Ogre 2.1.
Looks like I'm going to have to change things a bit, 2.1's manual object couldn't even handle a complete map before crashing due to too many vertices (or so it seems). It gets 75% of the way through the undead asylum before hitting this assert in GL3PlusDynamicBuffer::map: assert( start <= mVboSize && start + count <= mVboSize );
I'm hitting a start value of greater than mVboSize, maybe I have to preallocate a larger buffer or something?
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Its not a maximum on vertices per say, however you are clearly hitting the maximum memory usage for a single VAO. There is actually 2 hardcoded limits
- 128MB for GPU only VAO objects
- 32MB for VAO objects that reside or have a copy in CPU memory

You are using manual objects, and this currently uses BT_DYNAMIC_PERSISTENT_COHERENT and as a result will have a 32MB limit. Interestingly there is not an assert when you create a VAO greater than the max, it just sets the size to max(mMaxLimit, requestedSize).

So this gives you 2 options, either increase the default max sizes (not recommended!) or bypass ManualObject and create your own renderable that creates a GPU read only VAO. This may seem a bit daunting by dark_sylinc has written a very good sample "Sample_CustomRenderable", more specifically look at MyCustomRenderable::createBuffers

Oh there is of course a 3rd option, and thats to just split the world into more objects :)

Hope that helps, and I hope I have not got anything wrong (I am still learning the AZDO of Ogre 2,1)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

al2950 wrote:Oh there is of course a 3rd option, and thats to just split the world into more objects :)
It doesn't look like that will work. I've already got it as hundreds of individual manual objects (it's crashing on manual object 185). It seems the 32MB limit applies to ALL manual objects in the entire scene. It's crashing while trying to map a buffer that's only 2863 vertices in an empty manual object (the call to vaoManager->createVertexBuffer is returning a buffer with an internal buffer start already at 493448 vertices). Looking at the data sent, it's roughly 32MB total spread over 185 different manual objects when the assert hits.

That seems a bit restrictive, just under half a million vertices for an entire scene if manual objects are used.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Ah yes, Ogre does not allocate one 32Mb or 128Mb piece of memory per object, if it did you would run out of VRAM very quickly :lol:. So you are right it will add a new VBO to an existing one if it can. This is determined by looking at the requested size of the VBO, however ManualObject requests a size of 0 by default :shock: ( I think, I have not debugged the code).

So I think if you were to call ManualObject::estimateVertexCount && ManualObject::estimateIndexCount it would hopefully realise that the object is too big to fit in an existing VBO, so generate a new one. I would however highly recommend still you do not use ManualObject as it will not be as fast as creating your own renderable with buffer type BT_IMMUTABLE
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

al2950 wrote:I would however highly recommend still you do not use ManualObject as it will not be as fast as creating your own renderable with buffer type BT_IMMUTABLE
This isn't about performance. It's about easy rapid prototyping of data. Manual Objects are great for easy testing of data I'm not familiar with.
I guess I'll just stick with ogre 2.0 for this stuff until I have the time to write my own manual object replacement.

Yay, just read a vertex position from a System Shock 2 mission file. No drawing yet, but on the way. :)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Woo, here's the Hydroponics 1 map from System Shock 2 in Ogre:

Only wireframe so far. I need to add an ear clipper to turn the faces into triangles (I don't know if there's any concave polygons, if not, I don't need ear clipping).
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

10:45pm at night, I have a ton of work to do before tomorrow morning, so of course I'm distracting myself with more System Shock 2.

Hydro1 map with polygons:

I really should stop for tonight, so probably no textured or lit screenshots tonight.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Progress continues.
More System Shock 2 in Ogre. Texture offset and scale is wrong. No props loaded, just the level geometry itself.

Hmm, System Shock 2 is WAY lower detail than I remember it. :(
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

That makes me want to play the game finally... I have it on GOG but oh well.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

It is an amazing game.
Horror that is strongly based on sound rather than sight.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Yeah I know it is a really important game, in particular if you liked the first Deus Ex and Thief. I bought it some years ago on GOG but didn't yet install it.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I bought it back when it first came out (I was a fan of System Shock 1 too), but I bought it again on GOG because I couldn't find my cd. :)
I'm hoping SOMA will be a true spiritual successor to SS2 (which Bioshock was supposed to be, but it became too action shootery).
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Woot, got the uv coords working correctly.

Next up is objects. The levels are a bit bare without props.

I'm going to pass on light maps for now. They are very low res and only 15 bit colour. I'm going to try porting to Ogre 2.1 and see how it's lighting/shadows make it look. At least the mesh data for an entire SS2 level should fit within 32MB. :)
BAntDit
Kobold

Post by BAntDit »

just trying create my little world - a little progress with grass
BAntDit
Kobold

Post by BAntDit »

now there is water on location :)

--