The Muses of Poetry

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Filmakademie
Kobold

The Muses of Poetry

Post by Filmakademie »

The Muses of Poetry is an on-going project that combines interaction, emotions and poetry. The goal of the project is to create an installation where a virtual character not only recites poetry, but also manifests the affective content of the poem through facial expressions, or visual cues, and voice rhythm. In this way, the user can interact with the character by saying three words he or she wants in the poem. These words help the character to decide for a poem that will be read in an emotional way. The novelty of our work is the combination of different elements as human computer interaction, semantic analysis, affect, voice analysis and character animation, which intend to create a unique poetic experience.
Further Information can be found on our webpage...

[youtube]kD1J7bnttC8[/youtube]
areay
Bugbear

Re: The Muses of Poetry

Post by areay »

Interesting project. I had a quick read of the pdf documents on your website and found some details like how you use pitch & tempo modifications based on the 'mood' of the poem, nice.

I was wondering about this,
The main challenge in The Muses of Poetry is that all the poems
are free verse. It means that they do not use a consistent meter pattern
or rhyme, tending to look and sound like prose. Therefore, most of
the techniques used in previous works result inefficient.
Are you saying you've got around that? I ask because the the words "previous works" make it seem like you've solved it or have a better algorithm, but I couldn't see any evidence of it. Maybe I'm just confused.

Also, what's the reason for the arches in front of the screen where the user stands?
Dirk_6
Gnoblar

Post by Dirk_6 »

Thanks for providing information.
Filmakademie
Kobold

Post by Filmakademie »

Hello, thanks for your comment.

Regarding our statement about the "inefficiency" of previous techniques, what we meant is that techniques like statistical analysis to assess the poetry style of different poets, logic rules and pattern matching, or classifiers like Bayesian and Multilayer Perceptron to extract poetic features do not really work because in free-verse poems there aren't patterns to follow, making it difficult to see what kind of poem it is.
Our approach was to "re-write" the poem, joining the different lines until we get a sentence that forms a complete idea. For example, the verse:

We are front about the past,
butt to dead things, rise
some memories like enthusiastic hoarders
while others are locked in pen.

was converted to a one line "We are front about the past, butt to dead things, rise some memories like enthusiastic hoarders while others are locked in pen." which was analyzed in terms of words that elicit positive emotions and words that elicit negative emotions. Then, we kind of obtained an average of these words to get the emotional value of this line.
Unfortunately, we couldn't go further with things like metaphors or negations. But in general, the results we obtained with our algorithm were good enough.

Concerning the installation, the arches are part of the installation. The idea of the design was to create a cave that appeared like the pages of a book (each arch/rib would be a page). One of the reasons for this desing was to isolate the participant, while trying to create a "barrier" for surrounding noise given that we used voice recognition to interact with the Muses of Poetry.