Who let the bubbles out – blob

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
DarkSun
Kobold

Who let the bubbles out – blob

Post by DarkSun »

Hi all!
Here comes my WIP bubble puzzle clone. It’s already playable but still needs more polishing, features and some music that is not copyright protected.

Ingame

Main menu using CEGUI(Modified Windows Look)

Along with the game I’m writing an own engine (like yake, but smaller and the idea is to abstract underlying engines, but permit access to them directly, if desired)
The features so far are:
OGRE + CEGUI integration
OpenAL for sounds / music (only ogg codec yet)
Own event system
State machine
Decoupled execution of tasks (e.g. (physics)updates can run with constant steps, graphics as fast as possible)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Hehe, you've no idea how much time my wife and I used to spend playing Puzzle Bobble on the DreamCast, it was impossible to put down.

I'm curious as to what you used a physics engine for though?
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

Heh, nice. I've just managed to control my addiction to this almost perfect replica done in flash: Puzzle Bobble

Sinbad, i don't think he means a physics engine per se, just the basic bouncing and such...
. . .
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Cool, is there a demo/source available?

I like the idea of using Ogre for 2D stuff. It is 2D right?
Are you simply using billboards for the sprites?

I'm currently (literally) playing Frozen Bubble. Great!
Hmm, "Physical Bobble" now that gives me all sorts of ideas.
porl
Gnoblar

hey! this is my idea!! :)

Post by porl »

i hadn't bothered to ever look in the showcase section of these forums before, and just two days ago a few of my friends and i were talking about trying to do an ogre-based bubble game (mmm, pixel shaded bubbles... hehe).

now i just have to work out how the hell c++ works :) i've done a bit of c before and understand the *theory* of object oriented programming, but it's still a little out of my league i think. oh well, can't hurt to try ;)

ps. is there any way to get the ode thingy and ogreode working in mingw? i have *finally* been able to download vc++ 2005 beta today so i'll try that when i get home, but i have ogre working nicely in mingw (cygwin actually) and would like to be able to use that if possible.. hmm... maybe i should have posted this in another forum...
DarkSun
Kobold

Post by DarkSun »

@sinbad: it’s funny because about a year ago my wife has managed to find a bubble game on the web and has played it for one or two months almost every day. (generally she doesn’t play computer games). Nowadays I can’t stop playing.

About physics engine:
I don’t use any “big” physics engines. The whole physics interaction is very simple in this game. There are just about 65 lines of code, including collision detection, bouncing on walls, falling down and sound triggering.
I didn’t want to alter the principles of the original game. But the idea of "Physical Bobble" could be cool too.

About demo/source:
I will release demo&source after I have replaced all copyright protected stuff(music/sounds/level data). Maybee in 2-4 weeks.

2D/3D:
All what you see are billboards but I plan to go 3D in near future. This allows much better light interaction, shader and such...
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Reminds me of Snood.

(can't dl right now... can't dl that right not ... i have exams and have to code ... must not dl that ... hand moving by itself ... fuck exams, lets play some snood :P)
phear hingo

My Webpage
charlie
Greenskin

Post by charlie »

About demo/source:
I will release demo&source after I have replaced all copyright protected stuff(music/sounds/level data). Maybee in 2-4 weeks.
Cool, again a nice ogre programm.
Can't wait to test it ;)
I've played a linux bubble port for months. Can't remember the name but it came with the SuSE distribution. I always get addicted to games like these, can't help... ;)