[2.1] Hlms editor

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: [2.1] Hlms editor

Post by spookyboo »

Working on a new feature. It becomes possible to hoover over submeshes (see green pillars) and assign hlms materials to them. The (V2) mesh with the new material names can be saved (and the materials can be exported to a zip file). The image below is a (bit poor) example of the sibenik.mesh, but you get the idea. I need some better PBS materials...

GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Super!

Every time you update this project, you put a smile in my face.

:D :D :D :D :D :D
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Thanks spookyboo!

The HLMS editor is great. I am not quite knowledgeable enough to use it properly yet, but it looks fantastic. Thanks for your hard work!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Editor is updated. Grab the installer at https://github.com/spookyboo/HLMSEditor ... e?raw=true (first uninstall the old version). Changelog:
:arrow: new button added to reset the position/orientation of the camera
:arrow: new button added to switch modes: Off = selected material is assigned to the whole mesh; On = selected material can be assigned to the specific submesh (hoover with the mouse and double click)
Note, that materials are not automatically set in the mesh anymore. You always have to double click on the mesh to set the material (in both modes)
:arrow: Menu item to save the mesh (including materialnames in submeshes)
:arrow: Config screen (still contains a few items)
:arrow: Fixed the annoying 'jumping' of the screens. Beware that the aspect ratio of the renderwindow is fixed now an can only be resized by dragging left-right.

Note, that the editor is pretty stable, but I've only tested it on one computer.
Next things on my todo is updating the factsheet. After that, I probably look into a way to import other 3d models
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Hi Spooky,

Is it possible to specify a env / reflection map? I thought it would be in the texture type dropdown.

Thanks!
Ash
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

env / reflection map is on my todo list. First trying to get the application running again with the latest Ogre repo :( and then importing other models (fbx, etc...)
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Ok, cool :)

Thanks!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

@spookyboo
We just merged a PR that added "Diffuse Background". When diffuse textures are not present, this colour will be used as "background" and replaces the diffuse texture's with a solid colour (mostly useful for the detail maps). The diffuse colour "kD" is later multiplied against the final result of mixing background diffuse with the detail maps.

In other words the UI should show the diffuse bg colour while no diffuse texture is set, and hide when a diffuse texture is applied.

It's basically needed to achieve this:
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=88740
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

I will update with the latest commit and take a look. I also have to add the two sided shadow patch and still working on importing other models (already possible to import fbx, obj, dae, ... and converting to v2 meshes... yeah). My todo list keeps growing :D
Thanks!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Editor is updated. Grab the installer at https://github.com/spookyboo/HLMSEditor ... e?raw=true. Changelog:

:arrow: Import other 3D models and convert them to V2 meshes (I tried Ogre .xml, .obj, .fbx, .x). Note, that this currently only concerns static models and the plugin needs some more tlc, but fore me it is enough for the moment. Animations/bones is also not implemented yet (volunteers? See https://github.com/spookyboo/AssImpPlugin)

Next steps:
:arrow: Upgrade to the latest Ogre version and implement its new features (two-sided lighting and background colour).
:arrow: In addition I will look into optimize materials. Eg. If a mesh uses multiple materials, an 'Optimize' option combines similar datablocks into one, pack textures (atlas textures), rearranges uv's in the mesh, compress textures, convert format, ... Preferably with just one button.
devxkh
Halfling

Post by devxkh »

seems like i'm too stupid :mrgreen:
How can i apply the material to the model`?
Pushing the "generate Hlms" button doesnt work.
My little OGRE engine -> FrankE WIP
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Double click on the model.
If you want to apply the material to a particular submesh, enable submesh selection (pushing the button with the red cross), hoover over a submesh and double click.
I am not sure whether double clicking the model is a good idea, but I don't see an easy / fast alternative.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

spookyboo wrote: :arrow: In addition I will look into optimize materials. Eg. If a mesh uses multiple materials, an 'Optimize' option combines similar datablocks into one, pack textures (atlas textures), rearranges uv's in the mesh, compress textures, convert format, ... Preferably with just one button.
Just a note regarding atlas textures:
  • GLES 2 is the only API that will benefit from texture atlases. We have texture arrays for the rest. Perhaps an exception is if the textures are too uneven (i.e. texture arrays requires all textures to be of the same size, while texture atlases can pack together textures of different sizes).
  • The interface is not there, but the idea is that it would be possible to specify a list of textures that should be loaded together (i.e. into the same array) through a texture.json file or something like that. This way the user can ensure textures that are likely going to be used together (i.e. level textures) end up in the same array (instead of being in different arrays because there's useless junk that got loaded in the middle)
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

GLES 2 is the only API that will benefit from texture atlases
Ah. I didn' t know that
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Hi spooky,

You mentioned that I would need KDE plugin to display TGA thumbnails...

Could you elaborate a bit on this subject ? Would me possible for me to display TGA thumbnails without the need to recompile you project?
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

It annoys me also that I don't see TGA's. I have to investigate a bit more, because I don't know in detail what to do. It may or may not involve recompilation. This weekend I'm busy with cubemaps/skyboxes, auto-generation of the hlms and some other things. After that, I will look into it.
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

Thanks a lot!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Some updates again.
:arrow: Cubemap skybox support (a few skyboxes are added, but you can also add your own (only cubemaps))
:arrow: Automatic generation of materials (you don't have to press the cog anymore after everytime change. Materials are updated automatically)
:arrow: Two-sided lighting added
:arrow: Background colour added for PBS in case there is no diffuse map
:arrow: Context menu added (right-click) when you are in the render window (this is currently the only way to display a skybox)

As usual you can download the binaries on https://github.com/spookyboo/HLMSEditor ... e?raw=true
If you encounter any bugs, please let me know.
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Awesome! Thanks spooky!
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

@GlowingPotato
I just updated the setup file and added support for other image formats in Qt. I wasn't aware that dds and tga did not work at all on machines that didn't have Qt installed. On my development machine some dds files such as cubemaps are not shown in the editor and I thought you were referring to that. Turned out that also my laptop (which doesn't have Qt) dds and tga weren't supported. I also added a check to the editor that displays in the Ogre.log which image formats are supported by Qt.
Can you check whether it works?
GlowingPotato
Goblin

Post by GlowingPotato »

It does work!!!

Its working!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

GlowingPotato wrote:It does work!!!

Its working!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
LOL, are you glad it worked? :D
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Is it possible to rotate the object relative to the skybox?

spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

No, currently not. I put it on my todo
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

Thanks!