Ogre3D v2.1 Demo from a hobby programmer

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
grassroot72
Gnoblar

Ogre3D v2.1 Demo from a hobby programmer

Post by grassroot72 »

Learning how to use Ogre3D v2.1 is quite an challenge to me since I have not had any experience with Ogre3D v1.x. Fortunately, v2.1 dropped FFP part and employeed the HLMS system which is a breaking new nice feature to Ogre3D world.

After nearly 3 months learning, finally I think I can submit my 'homework' as the result of effort of compositing some Ogre3D v2.1 samples and tutorials.

In the demo, I achieved
- v2.1 animation
- squared exponent fog
- distortion
- bullet physics integration
- grass(DynamicGeometry)
- some particle effects (rain, snow, float lights, smoke)

Here are 2 screenshots,

First

Second

And a video
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1ggxDA4F or this http://player.youku.com/embed/XMzMyMDIyNjY0NA==
Please tell me if you can view or download this video

Here are some more features I want to add the demo in the future,
- terrain to replace the current floor
- water
- GUI (imgui)

(This causes misunderstanding: I hope to work in a game development company, but unfortunately I have no previous experience in game industry.)
I am quite interested in 3D technology, (hope to work in a game development company, just hope), and would like to work in this area :)).
I am quite confident about my C++ and math skills.
If someone would like to help me achieve my dream, please PM me :)

Happy coding!

Cheers.
Last edited by grassroot72 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Ogre3D v2.1 Demo from a hobby programmer

Post by al2950 »

Very impressive for someone coming from scratch. Plenty of advanced stuff in there :D . Sadly I was not able to properly view the video, only managed half way through and it would not play anymore.

Anyway keep up the good work, perhaps develop a library/plugin for Ogre 2.1, you would certainly learn a lot, and its something tangible to put on your CV and show a prospective employer.
Kohedlo
Orc

Post by Kohedlo »

what version ogre 2.1 you use?

last ogre 2018 or earlier?
c++ game developer.
current project: Imperial Game Engine 2.5
grassroot72
Gnoblar

Post by grassroot72 »

al2950 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:33 am Very impressive for someone coming from scratch. Plenty of advanced stuff in there :D . Sadly I was not able to properly view the video, only managed half way through and it would not play anymore.

Anyway keep up the good work, perhaps develop a library/plugin for Ogre 2.1, you would certainly learn a lot, and its something tangible to put on your CV and show a prospective employer.
Thanks for your encouragement, I would like to learn more!
My 'homework' can to some extent prove that I am a quick learner :p, but I still need a lot of time to catch up with the trend.

Since I am behind the national firewall, I could not put the video on Youtube. Perhaps the following link can help you run thru the video (I put it on the China's Youtube like web)
This one is about 10 minute 35 seconds, longer than the previous video I mentioned in the post.
http://player.youku.com/embed/XMzMyMDIyNjY0NA==
To watch it, you have to wait until the Chinese adverticement is over.

Thanks a again!

Cheers
grassroot72
Gnoblar

Post by grassroot72 »

Kohedlo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:39 am what version ogre 2.1 you use?

last ogre 2018 or earlier?
I am using the latest Ogre 2.1 branch (although marked unstable, it is quite stable though) on my linux box.

Cheers
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Nice! you definitely have skills. you got almost every component working for making an engine and later a full game, I suggest you start making an actual game, that will be an awesome portfolio.

keep it up!
grassroot72
Gnoblar

Post by grassroot72 »

xrgo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 pm Nice! you definitely have skills. you got almost every component working for making an engine and later a full game, I suggest you start making an actual game, that will be an awesome portfolio.

keep it up!
Thanks, xrgo!

I think you overestimated my current skill. A game engine, IMHO, should properly include graphic rendering(Ogre3d + GUI), sound output/input, physics (PhysX, bullet or Newton etc., I only got rigidbody work, that far away from practical usage), and networking components. Engine development should be a team work, that is why I want to join a game development company. I want and need to learn more from others :D

Cheers.