Necro Mutex [Demo Vid 2 Mins]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Necro Mutex [Demo Vid 2 Mins]

Post by mkultra333 »

After an eternity of part time development and the last couple of years of full time development, my game "Necro Mutex" is nearing completion. Hopefully I'll have it up and ready on Steam within the next 6-8 weeks. Still got some debugging and tweaking to go, but I thought I'd post a video. The game is a first person shooter, and is playable as both a normal game and a Vive VR game.

The game itself consists of 1000 procedurally generated sectors (maps) that can be played in any order. So you can skip sectors and pick and choose which to play. They start out small and very easy down at sector 000, and gradually get larger and more difficult as they go up toward sector 999. In fact, at some point they become impossible, but where they become impossible will depend on the skill of the player. Everything after about level 300 can be pretty challenging.

The player collects points for killing monsters and uses those points to increase various weapons and skills. The goal is to find an escape pod, there are 7 escape pods scattered through the 1000 sectors. You get a bronze, silver, gold (or higher) medal depending on how far you manage to get before deciding to use an escape pod.

I'll show some VR play later, it uses a different renderer and has less monsters at a time since you have to really economize your GPU/CPU usage in VR. For now, here's a demo of some normal FPS play. This is more or less mid game, up at sector 376.

Edit: Not sure if it's just me but the video doesn't seem to play on this page, so the direct link is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMg9GzM_Dvk

Last edited by mkultra333 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Lax
Hobgoblin

Re: Necro Mutex (Sneek Peek)

Post by Lax »

Wow great game concept with the sectors :shock: !

http://www.lukas-kalinowski.com/Homepage/?page_id=1631
Please support Second Earth Technic Base built of Lego bricks for Lego ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/81b9bd1 ... b97b79be62

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Thanks. Since I had a method to create as many maps as I liked, I figured it would be an interesting way to handle difficulty and game balance.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Awesome!

(Video plays fine for me on the page, using firefox)
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Thanks!
Yeah, I think it's just my browser, noticed vids on other sites aren't playing either.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: Necro Mutex [Updated: Vive VR demo]

Post by mkultra333 »

Here's a demo of VR play. This is with the HTC Vive, on a GeForce GTX-970.

Getting good performance in VR is difficult, and in the end I had to write an extra renderer just for VR. The player has several different options to choose from for rendering. In theory they could use the same rendering as the normal, non-VR game, but in practice most people won't have the GPU power to use that with adequate results.

This demonstration uses the second lowest setting, which I find works quite well and looks good in VR.

I've made a few other changes to the game as a whole, mostly minor, but a major one is that there are now 10,000 levels instead of just 1,000.

This is sector 1313, a relatively small and easy level. Later levels are longer and much more difficult.

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: Necro Mutex [Demo Vid 2 Mins]

Post by mkultra333 »

Continuing work, making final fixes and tweaks, integrating Steam. Also time to start promotion, so here's my first demo video, runs just over 2 minutes.

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

so good to see this finally getting near completion and release :D
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Thanks. :)