Flexbox - a basis for a GUI for Ogre3D 2.1

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
mrmclovin
Gnome

Flexbox - a basis for a GUI for Ogre3D 2.1

Post by mrmclovin »

Consider this "early access".

I'm working on a UI based on technologies familiar to folks working with web development. In CSS, there is a layout concept called "flexbox". It is a powerful way to layout elements (boxes of content) horizontally or vertically, and have controllable rules on how to distribute spacing between elements, shrinking & growing elements when needed, and is great for making layouts responsive (i.e. adaptable to different screen sizes).

Currently, it may not look too high-tech, as I have just begun on getting the fundamental pieces in place. What you can do now:

* Make squares and rounded boxes
* Coloring
* Render text
* Do all this stuff programmatically without any media resources

What it currently lacks (but may be in development soon):
* Ready-made widgets like lists, tabs, check boxes
* Animations and state changes
* No mouse/keyboard input concept

My initial aim with this library is not to make a complete widget & input system, but rather the tools and ease-of-use to make your own GUI that looks nice and works well with your project.

I wanted to share the project early, because I'm interested in feedback, opinions, suggestions, PRs.

Download, get an introduction & follow the project at https://github.com/mimon/flexbox
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: Flexbox - a basis for a GUI for Ogre3D 2.1

Post by Zonder »

You should have a look at kiUi it also has CSS like styling and is similar to flexbox in layout.

https://github.com/hugoam/kiui
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=83046&p=516670#p516670
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

mrmclovin
Gnome

Post by mrmclovin »

Thanks for the links - always nice to get inspiration from similar projects!