[GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Post Reply
User avatar
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

[GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by spacegaier » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:57 am

GSoC2016Logo.jpg
GSoC Project Ideas
We are hoping to once again find a group of capable and motivated students that help us move Ogre even further. In order to guide this effort, we are in the process of compiling a list of potential projects from our development team point of view that we will share soon. However, we also want to poll ideas from the community.

If you have any potential ideas for additions / changes to Ogre (especially. 2.1 since that is the long-term future), please let us know here. If you are a student who wants to tackle a project, you at some point should create your own forum thread dedicated to your proposal and application (once we have been accepted as a mentoring organization for 2016).

UPDATE: Unfortunately, we were not accepted this year to the Google Summer of Code 2016.
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

User avatar
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by dark_sylinc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:02 am

Ideas from 2015 that still hold:
  • Port DualQuaternion Skinning to v2
  • Port Pose animations to v2
  • OpenGEX Importer
  • Level of Detail (LOD) tool
New ideas:
  • Port the GLES 3 renderer
  • Port the Metal renderer
  • 2D drawing interfaces. Right now we have Rectangle2D (which is not suitable for rendering large amounts of sprites) and Overlay (which has a lot of design issues with Ogre 2.1 and is quite hard to use / overengineered).
  • Remotery integration.
  • Support point light shadows (dual paraboloid mapping)
  • Support multiple cubemaps for transitioning between areas with our PBS
  • Add area light type
  • Sample showing how to access individual MSAA samples and perform explicit resolves. Make sure it works on all RenderSystems
Vulkan & D3D12 are out of the question unless the student can prove he is very talented. It is quite a significant endeavor.
0 x

User avatar
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 1525
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: Austria - Leoben
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by Wolfmanfx » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:12 am

Ideas:
0 x

PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student
Posts: 550
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by PhilipLB » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:33 am

Might be combined to have enough work for a full GSoC:
  • Make the Volume Component compatible with 1.10, 2.0 and 2.1.
  • Adding new volume sources is always good
  • Fix some small issues like always scaling 3D texture volume sources with a factor which was needed to display Acropora ( http://www.voxelogic.com/ ) exports. This factor needs to be configurable
  • Find and implement an alternative to Acropora.
I could mentor that.
0 x
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst


Volume GFX, accepting donations.

Transporter
Minaton
Posts: 933
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Germany

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by Transporter » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:17 pm

  • Rewrite resource management of Ogre 2.1 to use integrated threading instead of boost/TBB
  • Scene editor for Ogre 2.1 (OpenGEX/terrain component)
0 x

User avatar
Mako_energy
Greenskin
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by Mako_energy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:53 am

Since Transporter mentioned resource management, could we get the resource decoupling from GSoC 2013 finalized?
Other than that I like OpenGEX support and anything that gets 2.1 running on MacOSX.
0 x

User avatar
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 2701
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by syedhs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:15 am

In the past, Ogre GSOC participation has been limited to graphics rendering functionalities.. how about tool? Will Ogre change its stance so that it will also include tool in GSOC? Examples are blender model support or world editor - revive Ogitor or just build a simple world editor, but easily extendable by lua script for an instance. The lack of such tools are seriously reducing Ogre value especially to newcomers.
0 x
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me

al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by al2950 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:22 am

All of the below are for 2.1 in my mind :D
  • Reflection system - Multiple cubemaps, reflection probes & SSR
  • Forward+ rendering & Tiled deferred rendering support
  • +1 for area lights
  • Volumetric lighting HLMS
  • +1 Remotery integration
  • Texture system re-write
  • +1 resource system
  • Tutorial suite for 2.1?
  • Ray traced shadows
  • Global illumination technique(s)
  • +1 mobile support in 2.1
0 x

User avatar
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by spacegaier » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:22 pm

An initial "official" list has been created (which is also linking for additional inspiration to this thread). The dev team will extended it ove time as additional ideas garner traction here in this discussion:

http://ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.p ... ef_id=2189
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

frostbyte
Orc Shaman
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 2:28 am

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by frostbyte » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:31 pm

imho, establishing a strong ART pipeline( which is ogre's weak spot ) is a good customer attraction point
"official scene editor" is not a good idea- first you need a sceneFormat and anyway you can't realy top ogitor within time limits( took two years to write... )
Dergo, openGex support etc is a much better direction
since focus moved to ogre2.1 and since openGex is easy...
i would like to suggest adding/combining openGex support with MDL/OSL support or something similier( i don't realy know what's the trend )
http://www.mdlhandbook.com
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage

offcourse i would also love to see all other suggestions materialize... optimizations/new renderers etc...any idea of how to prioretize?
0 x
the government took my kudos, now i'm kudosless :?

User avatar
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor
Posts: 1132
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:57 am
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by spookyboo » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:44 pm

I do believe that a good art pipeline is needed, but I don't believe in a do-it-all-engine (anymore). Having building blocks with which you can build your own pipleline is the way to go. An separate openGex module is more useful than a tool that has it integrated. The trick is to identify all the building blocks and to glue them all together in your own tools (without jumping through hoops to make it possible).
0 x

xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Chile

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by xrgo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:54 pm

al2950 wrote:All of the below are for 2.1 in my mind :D
  • Reflection system - Multiple cubemaps, reflection probes & SSR
  • Forward+ rendering & Tiled deferred rendering support
  • +1 for area lights
  • Volumetric lighting HLMS
  • +1 Remotery integration
  • Texture system re-write
  • +1 resource system
  • Tutorial suite for 2.1?
  • Ray traced shadows
  • Global illumination technique(s)
  • +1 mobile support in 2.1
this is exactly my wishlist! +1 to every item... plus every VR optimization in existence
0 x

User avatar
moejac
Halfling
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 am

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by moejac » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Implement order-independent transparency in Ogre, using A Phenomenological Scattering Model
for Order-Independent Transparency
by Morgan McGuire et al.
0 x

xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 818
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Chile

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by xrgo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 am

tessellation with displacement maps!
0 x

User avatar
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by dark_sylinc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 pm

To avoid wasting potential candidate's time, we were informed yesterday that: We were not accepted this year to the Google Summer of Code 2016.
0 x

al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User
Posts: 1035
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by al2950 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:30 pm

dark_sylinc wrote:To avoid wasting potential candidate's time, we were informed yesterday that We were not accepted this year to the Google Summer of Code 2016
:( booooo! Do we ever get any feedback, or is it a simple yes/no?
0 x

User avatar
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by dark_sylinc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:36 pm

A simple yes or no, followed by "we have many applicants and limited slots" and "Hope you try again next time".
There used to be a scheduled IIRC session with feedback. Perhaps they do it again this year, but we haven't heard from them yet.
0 x

hydexon
Gremlin
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by hydexon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:08 pm

Probably Google thought OGRE is almost dying of inactivity.
0 x

User avatar
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by spacegaier » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:24 pm

Given that no rendering engine got in this year at all, could also mean there is a switch in focus of Google.
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

User avatar
Thyrion
Goblin
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:58 pm
Location: germany

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by Thyrion » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:51 pm

let's do our own summer of code! How much money do we need to collect!? :mrgreen:
0 x

User avatar
moejac
Halfling
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 am

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by moejac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:43 pm

I second that idea :)
0 x

User avatar
moejac
Halfling
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 am

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by moejac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Ogre Summer of Code - it could be an act to follow.
0 x

User avatar
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 1525
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: Austria - Leoben
Contact:

Re: [GSoC 2016] Idea Discussion

Post by Wolfmanfx » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Its 3500USD per student :)
0 x

Post Reply