Update on applications

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Update on applications

Post by sinbad » Fri May 12, 2006 9:42 pm

Some students are clearly nervous that they haven't heard anything yet - sorry about this, but we won't find out how many projects Google will allow us to accept until possibly the 17th May, at which point there will be a final decision as to which applications we will accept. We have a pretty good idea which ones are most likely to be accepted already, but until we know the final number it would be unfair for us to make any declaration.

After we find out the final number there may be a small flurry of emails flying around if there's some contention / uncertainty over the final few places, so please watch out for any email next week :)
0 x

VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

thank you!

Post by VasiliiGustelev » Fri May 12, 2006 10:31 pm

Thank you!

Lack of news -> getting more nervous.

Now i understand, what is happening and feel myself more calmly
0 x

Lodes
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Lodes » Fri May 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks for the update!
0 x

juozasg
Kobold

Post by juozasg » Sat May 13, 2006 2:40 am

Thanks for the news
0 x

tidalwv
Gnoblar

Post by tidalwv » Sat May 13, 2006 5:59 pm

Don't know how much of a wild-card question this is, but... if we submitted an proposal through Google but would like to extend it (I, for one, didn't have much time for my proposal since my classes were/are kicking my ass...) could we post the revised on here and have it looked at instead of the submitted one?
0 x

Znah
Gnoblar

Post by Znah » Sat May 13, 2006 8:10 pm

I have the same question
0 x

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Sat May 13, 2006 8:52 pm

If you have something you'd like to add to your application, please start a new thread and we will take a look.
0 x

buddy

Post by buddy » Sat May 13, 2006 9:07 pm

sinbad wrote:If you have something you'd like to add to your application, please start a new thread and we will take a look.
I'm interested if Google will be ok with it? As for me it makes much sense, but there is some question about equal opportunity for people who submitted their proposals through Google and do not care looking at this thread after the deadline?
Student FAQ says:
4. Organizations sign up mentors and publish their pool of project ideas
5. Students submit to Google proposals to work with particular mentoring organizations; Google routes to the mentor organization, and the proposals are ranked by mentors working with those organizations.
6. Accepted students start work based on their proposals; mentors give guidance throughout the duration of the program
Well, now we are somewhere in between 5 and 6 as I understand, so is it ok that there is some direct communication between mentoring org (OGRE) and students which may influence their accepted status and this communication is not routed through Google?
Once again, I support the idea, just some clarification is necessary, I think...
0 x

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Sat May 20, 2006 11:13 am

I'm sorry, we're still waiting for Google to assign the final number of projects.

As for updates here, I don't think Google would have a problem with that provided you're not changing the fundamentals - they are happy for projects to check details where there are ambiguities in applications and this is sort of part of that.
0 x

VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

we're all waiting

Post by VasiliiGustelev » Sat May 20, 2006 6:32 pm

We're all waiting for news.

keep us informed, Sinbad
0 x

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Sun May 21, 2006 1:01 pm

We have now had a 'pretty' strong indication from Google as to our project allocation, although they reserve the right to do some last-minute tweaking. They're sure leaving this to the last minute. :?

We will be having some final discussions today and I hope that Google will solidify this number later on so that we can make an announcement late today or early tomorrow.
0 x

Crashy

Post by Crashy » Sun May 21, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks for the news :)
0 x
Follow la Moustache on Twitter or on Facebook

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Mon May 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Google have now extended the final 'freeze date' to 17:00 PDT today. At this point we'll know whether we get any last-minute 'spare' project allocations.

Unfortunately I won't be around at that time (1am my time, I had already planned around the original 8:00 PDT deadline), but will send initial emails to the top 'N' students at about 20:30 BST (12:30 PDT) today letting them know that they're very likely to be accepted and to make sure they will be going ahead. The final, final announcement (hopefully, provided this thing doesn't drag on again!) will be made early tomorrow (BST).

My one wish if we're involved in this another year is that Google just stick to the dates they give us! ;)
0 x

VasiliiGustelev
Gnoblar

5minutes to go

Post by VasiliiGustelev » Mon May 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Who's the lucky one?

Eenie, meenie...
minie, moe...
Catch a redneck
by his toe.
If he hollers
let him go!
Eanie, meanie, minie, moe...
My mama told me...
...to pick the best one,
...and you are it!

Woo!
0 x

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad » Mon May 22, 2006 8:48 pm

Since I haven't heard from a couple of mentors about the proposed final allocation yet I'm going to hold fire until the official Google deadline, 17:00 PDT (1am my time). I'll just have to be dog tired at work tomorrow ;)
0 x

the_cX
Halfling

Post by the_cX » Tue May 23, 2006 12:27 am

ahh the suspense. :X
0 x