[SoC 2006] RmOgreInstaller

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
mr_burns
Kobold

Post by mr_burns »

Hi all,

I've got a clean copy of RenderMonkey 1.6. If you can convince Sinbad and the rest of the locals, they can host it (47.8 MB), and you guys can knock yourself out.

At least until the 1.62 issues are ironed out.

Regards,
B.
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

I've tried everyones 1.62 suggestions and nothing works :| I've tried various versions of python and pywin32 too. I just uninstalled 1.6 for some mad reason too
buddy
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by buddy »

some dependency is missing from the installer
most likely - visual studio related. don't have spare boxes to verify..
someone could walk it with depends.exe or whatever and figure out.
will investigate though.
buddy

packaged new installer, now with CRT dlls

Post by buddy »

I just packaged a new installer with CRT DLLs attached.
Will test on some other XP box in an hour or so..
here is the link: http://sukhoy.public.iastate.edu/soc200 ... 2-py24.exe
this is RM1.62 Python 2.4 compatible version, as you can probably guess from the filename.
Pywin32 is not included (yet).
vexd
Gnoblar

Post by vexd »

Quote:
- Manual textures (not related to files) are not recognized as such and the exporter tries to copy a file which doesn't exist

Again, the support is just missing - i.e. if it is a RenderTarget texture the exporter should bark, if it is generated one - it should create a file and save the contents - not sure if this can be done with just python - perhaps some enhancements are needed in the bindings.
Without this support all but the most basic shaders are out of the question. As has been highlighted already the exporter tries to copy to a non existent file, thereby preventing multiple pass shaders using render targets!
Last edited by vexd on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buddy

Post by buddy »

vexd wrote: Without this support all but the most basic shaders are out of the question.
Well, I guess now that Compositor scripts are in OGRE the support may be added... when I will get the free time ;) It is no easy task.
I would say, though, that labeling 'em "out of question" is not quite accurate, one can still export code and basic skeleton if substitute RT texture by the file texture and build compositor script or code on top, it will still save some time, but definitely this is not a "one-click" solution.
BTW it is python scripted (i.e. rmsdk is exported, so no need to recompile things to add new feature, docs are missing though), so interested parties can try to implement compositor scripts export..
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

honestly, I've tried every combination of everything here and nothing. No exporter option on right click->effect or file export. Is there any log file stuff I can check to see what's happening?
buddy

Post by buddy »

Vectrex wrote:honestly, I've tried every combination of everything here and nothing. No exporter option on right click->effect or file export. Is there any log file stuff I can check to see what's happening?
The DLL fails to load for some reason. I thought I included all dependencies in the installer except pywin32 which should be installed separately.
It appears this is not the case.
There is no log file because the DLL is not loading into the address space. If you have visual studio or windbg or any kind of debugger which can trace dll loading, you can take a look at what is being loaded and which library is not found (i.e. it should be like PyRmGateway.dll was loaded, then something else failed to load and then PyRmGateway.dll was unloaded. That something else is a missing dependency).
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

ok so a friend of mine had it working and he's got the RmOgreExporter.dll in the plugins folder which I haven't. I've tried installing all 3 versions of the plugin in rendermonkey and outside of rendermonkey and no RmOgreExporter.dll
Anyway it works now with that dll (in 1.6)
buddy

Post by buddy »

Vectrex wrote:ok so a friend of mine had it working and he's got the RmOgreExporter.dll in the plugins folder which I haven't. I've tried installing all 3 versions of the plugin in rendermonkey and outside of rendermonkey and no RmOgreExporter.dll
Anyway it works now with that dll (in 1.6)
RmOgreExporter.dll is the very old version, I did in C++ w/o python scripting and GL2 support. It was fairly minimal on dependencies. Doesn't matter, though, if it works for you...
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

I just tried the last download and everything worked great. If you can't find how to export the shaders, here's a pic of where you export from. Hope that helps :)

Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

Hey buddy,

I'm curious if you're still actively working on the exporter, and if you have any plans to release a new version soon. What's the word? I don't have any problems with the current version, it works great- I'm just curious since I use it so much, what we can expect in the future.
buddy

Post by buddy »

Wretched_Wyx wrote:Hey buddy,

I'm curious if you're still actively working on the exporter, and if you have any plans to release a new version soon. What's the word? I don't have any problems with the current version, it works great- I'm just curious since I use it so much, what we can expect in the future.
Well, unfortunately I'm not active right now. I.e. definitely not at the level of major new features etc. I will recompile it for the newer rendermonkey versions, provide installer etc. in my spare time, but no serious work in upcoming several months on this tool is likely to be done by me.
z0
Gnoblar

rendermonkey 1.71 exporter?

Post by z0 »

Hi buddy,

thanks for your work and efforts!!!

Is there any a release of the exporter for the latest Rmonkey Version 1.71 ? Current Exporter seems not work with this monkey version?! At least there is no export for OGRE on the RMB. I would try rendermonky 1.6, but i can't uninstall 1.7, so i'm kind of forced to use it ...

Already spent many days researching on artist creation pipeline, but the whole shader thing in ogre is really a pain in the ass ... at least for artists with only little coding experience.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
buddy

Re: rendermonkey 1.71 exporter?

Post by buddy »

z0 wrote:I would try rendermonky 1.6, but i can't uninstall 1.7, so i'm kind of forced to use it ...
last time it was a matter of replacing headers & libs of RM and minor fixes in the source code where it didn't compile... will look at it on weekend.
z0
Gnoblar

Post by z0 »

great, thanks a lot!!!
z0
Gnoblar

rendermonkey 1.8

Post by z0 »

rendermonkey 1.8 is available! :-)
cdkeito
Orc

Post by cdkeito »

hi,

how do you solved those two problems:

Code: Select all

------ Inizio generazione: Progetto: fake_ogre_mat, Configurazione: Release Win32 ------
Compiling...
FakeHighLevelGpuProgramManager.cpp
..\..\src\fake_ogre_mat\FakeHighLevelGpuProgramManager.cpp(21) : error C2259: 'fake_ogre_mat::FakeHighLevelGpuProgram' : cannot instantiate abstract class
        due to following members:
        'void Ogre::HighLevelGpuProgram::buildConstantDefinitions(void) const' : is abstract
        G:\Yake\yake\yake\dependencies\ogrenew\include\OgreHighLevelGpuProgram.h(91) : see declaration of 'Ogre::HighLevelGpuProgram::buildConstantDefinitions'

Code: Select all

------ Inizio generazione: Progetto: pyogre_mini, Configurazione: Release Win32 ------
Compiling...
pch.cpp
G:\boost_1_33_1\boost/python/detail/caller.hpp(52) : warning C4244: 'return' : conversion from 'Py_ssize_t' to 'unsigned int', possible loss of data
Compiling...
pyogre_tex.cpp
pyogre_mini_GpuProgram.cpp
pyogre_mini.cpp
G:\boost_1_33_1\boost/python/detail/defaults_def.hpp(246) : error C2027: use of undefined type 'boost::STATIC_ASSERTION_FAILURE<x>'
        with
        [
            x=false
        ]
        G:\boost_1_33_1\boost/python/class.hpp(598) : see reference to function template instantiation 'void boost::python::detail::define_with_defaults<OverloadsT,boost::python::class_<W>,boost::mpl::vector4<T0,T1,T2,T3>>(const char *,const OverloadsT &,NameSpaceT &,const SigT &)' being compiled
        with
i'm using rm 1.8, boost (1.33.1,even tried 1.34.1), py25, loki 0.1.6 and ogre 1.4.6
(exporter from cvs)

thanks!
roimatola
Halfling

Post by roimatola »

Any news on this exporter? I couldn't run it on render monkey 1.81.

Thanks
toglia
Gnome

Re: RmOgreInstaller

Post by toglia »

I could host the RM1.6 if I had it, can anyone send it with "yousendit.com"? I would really like to use the exporter without the trauma of recompiling it...

Another thing, I have read in various threads that there's a not finished but working exporter from fx composer 2.5 to Ogre's material. Kevin from Nvidia helped to do it, but I don't see any link to it. Was it finally published?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: RmOgreInstaller

Post by sinbad »

toglia wrote:Another thing, I have read in various threads that there's a not finished but working exporter from fx composer 2.5 to Ogre's material. Kevin from Nvidia helped to do it, but I don't see any link to it. Was it finally published?
I don't think I ever saw a public version of it, and unfortunately Kevin is no longer with NVIDIA so I'm not sure it's being worked on anymore.
hebdemnobad
Goblin

Re: [SoC 2006] RmOgreInstaller

Post by hebdemnobad »

does anyone have a live link to the compiled exporter? the lnk, http://sukhoy.public.iastate.edu/soc200 ... 2-py24.exe
, is dead
AndreLoureiro
Gnoblar

Post by AndreLoureiro »

Is there any Exporter from RM to Ogre ? All the given links are broken...
hebdemnobad
Goblin

Post by hebdemnobad »

goto http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Shader+M ... e=Cookbook the file is uploaded to that page

hey if you can get rm shaders to use dynamic ogre lights, post to wiki!

-h
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

The way to do it is to use the RTSS.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.