DirectX 10 RS proposals anyone?

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
buddy
Google Summer of Code Student

DirectX 10 RS proposals anyone?

Post by buddy »

Hi, buddy here.

I have a couple of OGRE-related ideas for SoC, one is to go ahead and do DirectX 10 RenderSystem and another is further improvement of fxogretool/RmOgreExporter (which are interrelated, since DirectX 10 FX format is a significant upgrade over DirectX 9 fx, I mean different keywords, different grammars etc.).. I don't see anyone jumping on DX 10 project (yet?), and I would love to see it done. I think I can try to merge both, i.e. DX 10 + fxogretool improvement (I think there is a way to utilize XNA in the context of fxogretool, but XNA is pretty much all about DirectX 10, so DX10 RS is a must and also as DX 10 is rolled out there will be more and more DX10 FX shaders available, so I think being proactive is a good idea).

Any suggestions?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

If you feel you can do both, then by all means put in a proposal for it. From a purely OGRE point of view it's the Dx10 support that's the most important part, and given that there's quite a few feature adds there (and handling the removal of fixed function gracefully), I think there's still a fair amount of meat to be had (and that would have to take priority), but if you can throw in an fx tool upgrade too that would be impressive.
buddy

Post by buddy »

sinbad wrote:I think there's still a fair amount of meat to be had (and that would have to take priority), but if you can throw in an fx tool upgrade too that would be impressive.
The difference between this and last year is that there is some time slack available between proposal acceptance (or not acceptance, huh ;)) and "program start", that can be used to study DX 10 a bit more and maybe even coming up with a draft RenderSystem, getting feedback etc., that's why I think both are doable.

I think I'll go ahead and make DX10 RS a first priority and then designate fxogretool a second priority (i.e. once DX10 RS will be in QA/bugfix/community review mode there should be some time available for fxogretool). BTW, I think there is a need for a fair amount of testers, I'm not sure how things are in terms of compatibility with Different Hardware in DX10, MSFT says it is more or less monolitic, but given multitude versions of Vista and multitude of problems that the hardware vendors had with Vista-drivers, I bet something will go wrong.

I know there are things with OpenGL RS enhancement and compatibility stuff, fixed function goodbye (is it possible to emulate that somehow, I wonder?) and the amount of effort to put into this is hard to predict, but still...