Interested Student for SoC seeking information

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
moonliterhythm
Gnoblar

Interested Student for SoC seeking information

Post by moonliterhythm »

hello,

GSoC 2007 is here, as you know, and I've been very interested in signing up under the OGRE project for several reasons:
- I've been interested in graphics design and computer animation for quite some time, and have taken classes in University on computer graphics implementations.
- I am using OGRE in a school class-wide project called "Metaverse," a project that aims to be an MMO engine that's customizable for anything you need it for -- whether it's a game or a classroom or a business meeting -- it's all up to you. We use OGRE to implement the graphics end of the project, and as such, it's a core part of the project.
- OGRE, from the comparisons I've made, is one of the best 3D graphics engines out there, and getting involved with OGRE and its development itself is something I'd be honored to do and add to my experience as a developer and programmer.

I am interested in some of the proposals so far, and was hoping I could find more information about certain topics before I apply, so I have a good grasp on exactly what element I aim to improve.

- Concerning the DirectX 10 implementation: Where can I find more information about how we can go about actually implementing the extra features in DX 10? If you aren't familiar with DX, should you still apply for this proposal?
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

While this SoC has a good lead-in time to get familiar with the community and the technology, it isn't that much technology. Probably the best person to get something sizable done on a DirectX10 render system by the end of the summer is someone who has already tinkered with DirectX10.

Remember to keep time in mind. While I dont think we can expect a whole render system to be made by the end of the summer, it should be usable, and to learn Ogre AND DirectX10 AND make a render system might not be feasible.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

You'll need to be well prepared for the Dx10 project - that means having a Vista machine with a Dx10 compatible card in it (like an 8800), and being familiar at some level with DirectX already is fairly important too, since much of the work will be comparing and contrasting Dx10 with Dx9 and similar systems and figuring out how to elegantly support the new features whilst dropping the fixed-function pipeline, and making it all seamless from an OGRE perspective.
CheetahShrk
Kobold

Post by CheetahShrk »

Also it is definitly no easy task to seemlessly change the directx9 render system to a directx10 render system. It isn't just extra features that were added to DirectX10, quite a bit of core functions have changed and their usages.